Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Mar 9, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #2,012 of 2,542
I bought a couple of nice 6V6 tubes:

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

This ^ is 5R4 RCA rectifier and Brimar 6SL7 CV-1985 tubes.
Very punchy and impactful sound with Atrium :)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #2,013 of 2,542
Had a great time today at CanJam NYC day 1. Got some good feedback on the commercial Aegis proto, looking forward to reading peoples' thoughts. Gonna hit the MET as soon as they open tomorrow then back to CanJam day 2 for the afternoon!

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #2,014 of 2,542
Had a great time today at CanJam NYC day 1. Got some good feedback on the commercial Aegis proto, looking forward to reading peoples' thoughts. Gonna hit the MET as soon as they open tomorrow then back to CanJam day 2 for the afternoon!
Enjoy the Met, used to go there regularly when I lived in NYC.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #2,015 of 2,542
Was a pleasure to meet you in person and thank you for being a class act and answering all my questions! Good luck with the commercial aegis, I hope it does as well as we all expect it to! Congrats and looking forward to what’s next!

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #2,016 of 2,542
Was a pleasure to meet you in person and thank you for being a class act and answering all my questions! Good luck with the commercial aegis, I hope it does as well as we all expect it to! Congrats and looking forward to what’s next!

It was great meeting you too! And no problem, I love talking tubes.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #2,017 of 2,542
It was great meeting you too! And no problem, I love talking tubes.
It was a pleasure meeting you sir!

From the couple of ppl I spoke with they definitely enjoyed the commercial Aegis!

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #2,018 of 2,542
It was a pleasure meeting you sir!

From the couple of ppl I spoke with they definitely enjoyed the commercial Aegis!

Nice meeting you @mattiastomas ! Feedback on the amp was very positive, lots of people took pictures so I'm sure I'll be reading their impressions sometime soon, very excited.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #2,019 of 2,542
Hoping you got to see a couple of peoples reactions to listening to the Aegis. It was so much fun watching people try the diy Aegis at the meet up I went to. My experience was a lot of smiles and shaking of the head followed by queuing up another track :)

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #2,020 of 2,542
Hoping you got to see a couple of peoples reactions to listening to the Aegis. It was so much fun watching people try the diy Aegis at the meet up I went to. My experience was a lot of smiles and shaking of the head followed by queuing up another track :)

Haha yeah there was a lot of that! Someone told me they "saw God" while they were listening, others cried, some people just kept coming back again and again, lots of word of mouth. It was pretty gratifying to see those reactions.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #2,021 of 2,542
What is the retail likely to be for commercial Aegis? Which tubes will it ship with?

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #2,022 of 2,542
What is the retail likely to be for commercial Aegis? Which tubes will it ship with?

Tentative retail is $3499, but I believe Zach is planning a release discount. Will ship with JJ amplifying tubes and I believe the GZ34 stock rectifier will be Electroharmonix. Not set in stone however.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #2,023 of 2,542
Been following this amp for a while now, but never felt confident had the experience to build one of these from scratch. Very happy to see that ZMF was able to have these manufactured and fully intend on purchasing one. The design so far looks stellar and I'm looking forward to hearing what this amp brings to the table :darthsmile:

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #2,024 of 2,542
Tentative retail is $3499, but I believe Zach is planning a release discount. Will ship with JJ amplifying tubes and I believe the GZ34 stock rectifier will be Electroharmonix. Not set in stone however.
I bet when you first started tinkering with amps, that you never thought someone like Zach would end up selling your amps!

I imagine Zach may have wanted Glenn to have built the amps originally, but then of course Glenn disappeared. At least there is still a link with Glenn via your amps as I think you started your journey with tinkering with the Glenn GOTL?

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #2,025 of 2,542
I bet when you first started tinkering with amps, that you never thought someone like Zach would end up selling your amps!

I imagine Zach may have wanted Glenn to have built the amps originally, but then of course Glenn disappeared. At least there is still a link with Glenn via your amps as I think you started your journey with tinkering with the Glenn GOTL?

Yeah, before I left for CanJam, I was looking back at some of my very first posts on Head-Fi. I said to my gf "can you imagine if I could go back in time and show my 2016 self the Aegis and tell me you're going to make this?". Pretty wild.

I built some Bottlehead stuff, then starting tinkering with the GOTL. I was hoping to have Glenn build me a SET amplifier, and while I was waiting I had done so much of the planning already, I decided to just go for it and build it myself. After that the building obsession took hold.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back