Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jan 3, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #1,516 of 2,474
Hi,

Seems like I’m finally catching up with this project. Life got in the way and had to set it aside for a few months.

Received the Lundahl parts just before Christmas, which were my last remaining purchases. Thanks for the tip with Acoustic-Dimension, it was a pleasure dealing with Peter.

I managed to spend some time during the holidays assembling the chassis, installing sockets/imputs/output/inlet, soldering the pot PCB and installing it, and nearly finishing the main PCB.

Between my job and little kid it gets a little difficult to find spare time, but hope to have this finished soon.

Thanks again to L0rdGwyn for all the hard work and generosity.

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #1,517 of 2,474
Look what the cat dragged in (again)!

DSC_0186.png

I'm a big fan of navy blue. After a few hours of looking at powder coater's instagram, RAL color code and various diy threads, I decided to go with casper blue. Dave (from Landfall chassis) is a gentleman to deal with, and the chassis arrived flawlessly.

The shade of blue is quite hard to capture with my meager photography skill. It's not quite navy blue though, the closest thing is the black ground color of Solarized theme for IDE or GMK/SA Solarized Dark if you're into the keyboard hobby...

Still not very confident looking at the Elma switch, hope I'll manage :beyersmile:

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #1,518 of 2,474
Second amp in progress and got a little crazy 😜
IMG_0758.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #1,519 of 2,474
Look what the cat dragged in (again)!

DSC_0186.png

I'm a big fan of navy blue. After a few hours of looking at powder coater's instagram, RAL color code and various diy threads, I decided to go with casper blue. Dave (from Landfall chassis) is a gentleman to deal with, and the chassis arrived flawlessly.

The shade of blue is quite hard to capture with my meager photography skill. It's not quite navy blue though, the closest thing is the black ground color of Solarized theme for IDE or GMK/SA Solarized Dark if you're into the keyboard hobby...

Still not very confident looking at the Elma switch, hope I'll manage :beyersmile:

Do you have any magnification available? It helps a LOT with the Elma switch. If you don't, there are cheap options out there that might be worth grabbing.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #1,520 of 2,474
El37 are quite expensive now, I got quoted 330 bucks for a local pair... also some comments earlier on this thread about many of them being noisy so I decided not to order any adapters for them (yet).

that is a pretty good price for a good pair these days

mine are dead quiet. can use with IEM level of quiet.

note - no adapters are neded for EL37

I often forget about the XF2s as they're in the Auris Nirvana and that amp hasn't had much play time since the Aegis was built. I still like it... I

Ha.. I also have my XF2 in the Nirvana... I should put them back in the Aegis to try again but, from memory, I preferred the EL37 for its more expansive stage and more refined presentation. The XF2 are more classic mullard warmth.

I am harboring a little dream of getting a WA23 one day perhaps in place of the Nirvana. But I need to recover from some recent purchases, and CanJam NYC is coming up.. so for now, the stack is stable..

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #1,521 of 2,474
that is a pretty good price for a good pair these days

mine are dead quiet. can use with IEM level of quiet.

note - no adapters are neded for EL37

Ha.. I also have my XF2 in the Nirvana... I should put them back in the Aegis to try again but, from memory, I preferred the EL37 for its more expansive stage and more refined presentation. The XF2 are more classic mullard warmth.

I am harboring a little dream of getting a WA23 one day perhaps in place of the Nirvana. But I need to recover from some recent purchases, and CanJam NYC is coming up.. so for now, the stack is stable..
As dreams go, that's a good one!! Like you, if I was to let the Nirvana go it would have to be for something special :L3000:

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #1,523 of 2,474
Second one for you or a friend?

Maybe one for home and one for work?

Or one for the living room and one for the bathroom? :wink:

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #1,524 of 2,474
Maybe one for home and one for work?

Or one for the living room and one for the bathroom? :wink:

With caps like those, my money is on the bathroom.

There's a guy on diyAudio who has already built three Aegises.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #1,525 of 2,474
With caps like those, my money is on the bathroom.

There's a guy on diyAudio who has already built three Aegis.

Would that be Aegii?

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #1,526 of 2,474
Do you have any magnification available? It helps a LOT with the Elma switch. If you don't, there are cheap options out there that might be worth grabbing.
I have this helping hand with a small magnifying glass - maybe 4-5 cm in diameter, doesn't seem to help much when I was practicing soldering header pins. Maybe I need those giant loupes usually seen on old detective movies.

Jan 3, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #1,527 of 2,474
Would that be Aegii?

The internet seems to think it is Aegises or Aegides (using ancient Greek spelling). Let's go with Aegises.

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #1,528 of 2,474
The internet seems to think it is Aegises or Aegides (using ancient Greek spelling). Let's go with Aegises.

That sort of ruins my Gift of the Aegii turn of phrase then. :wink:

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #1,529 of 2,474
I have this helping hand with a small magnifying glass - maybe 4-5 cm in diameter, doesn't seem to help much when I was practicing soldering header pins. Maybe I need those giant loupes usually seen on old detective movies.

You can get a magnifying headband on Amazon for about $20 that would probably work pretty well. Working distance might be a bit closer than you’re used to, but it would help you see.

Or, for a longer term investment, AMScope makes some really nice stereo zoom microscopes for a few hundred dollars. I use mine all the time.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #1,530 of 2,474
Second one for you or a friend?
For myself 🤗 one in the office and one at home.. the more I listen to it the more I’m convinced that it’s my endgame amplifier, combined with a good r2r it’s audio nirvana 👍, and curious to try the miflex capacitors that I liked in my other tube amps..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back