Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Dec 29, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #1,486 of 2,631
Wanted to be sure, for Brimar 5R4GY it doesn't need an adapter right? Feeling the itch to pull the trigger on one.

Managed to snag a pair of Mullard EL38s, but can't listen to them yet as its taking forever for the adapters to arrive :rolling_eyes:
Correct… no adapter needed for the Brimar 5R4GY. Pic below.

Yeah, the adapters do take a while at times. I did receive some in 10 days but that’s not the norm!

IMG_5507.jpeg

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #1,487 of 2,631
Nice.

Yeah. The tubes arrived in a week. But 2 weeks in and still no adapters.

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,488 of 2,631
If they’re from xulingmrs they’ll turn up. Never had a duff adapter or no show from them. I think the first pair i bought from them did take a few weeks to arrive.

You did well to receive the tubes in a week… was that from the UK?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #1,489 of 2,631
If there from xulingmrs they will turn up. Never had a duff adapter or no show from them. I think the first pair i bought from them did take a few weeks to arrive.
Yup. it was from them. Not really worried that it won't show up, but more like impatient :sweat_smile:
You did well to receive the tubes in a week… was that from the UK?
Yeah from the UK. I was surprised that they arrived so quick. They were well packed and pretty dang good condition for NOS. Thinking of ordering a Brimar 5R4GY. Even with shipping its cheaper than what I can find here so far.

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,490 of 2,631
I presume that would be CVC CHELMER… they provide good service! Brimar from them as well? I bought the one in the pic from them if memory serves me right!

They stock all sorts of electronic components. They’re away until the 2nd Jan i think!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,491 of 2,631
I presume that would be CVC CHELMER… they provide good service! Brimar feom them as well? I bought the one in the pic from them if memory serves me right!

They stock all sorts of electronic components. They’re away until the 2nd Jan i think!
Yup from CVC.

They have a Brimar for £100. Seems like a decent price.

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #1,492 of 2,631
Dec 31, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #1,493 of 2,631
Well, having the tube sockets mounted on the top of the enclosure bugged me, so I decided to desolder all of the tube sockets and mount them them properly on the inside of the chassis. That should make replacing sockets easier in the future as you can just pull the whole board.

It was a bit of a hassle, but I managed to do it without having to disconnect any of the hardwired cables going to the board. The surgery went well and I'm listening to it now.

I guess that will teach me to more carefully read the instructions next time. :wink:

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #1,494 of 2,631
OK, after more coats of Tru Oil than I can remember and some pretty stinky Renaissance Wax, I finally have the wood face plate on it. I also filed down the shaft of the Alps pot as it bothered me having the knob so far from the face of the amp. I also added a 6mm to 6.35mm shaft adapter so that the knob rotates evenly and stays concentric with the dial indicator on the face plate.

TVDm9pb.jpg

37LrtbT.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #1,495 of 2,631
OK, after more coats of Tru Oil than I can remember and some pretty stinky Renaissance Wax, I finally have the wood face plate on it. I also filed down the shaft of the Alps pot as it bothered me having the knob so far from the face of the amp. I also added a 6mm to 6.35mm shaft adapter so that the knob rotates evenly and stays concentric with the dial indicator on the face plate.

TVDm9pb.jpg

37LrtbT.jpg

Wow, looks amazing! Very nice work. I see you're putting those giant knobs to good use.

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #1,496 of 2,631

TVDm9pb.jpg

37LrtbT.jpg

That's just gorgeous man, wonderful design, love it!!!

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #1,497 of 2,631
Wow, looks amazing! Very nice work. I see you're putting those giant knobs to good use.

It kind of feels like a big knob amp.

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #1,498 of 2,631

Users who are viewing this thread

Back