Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 24, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #391 of 2,468
Holger mentioned my project to Per Lundahl who is reportedly very impressed with it, wants to add it to the Lundahl site. Pretty neat.

He's also offering me a lifetime supply of free iron.

(JK, I wish).

May 24, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #392 of 2,468

(JK, I wish).
With the rate you build new projects - that would have driven them to bankruptcy... :laughing:

May 24, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #393 of 2,468
Holger mentioned my project to Per Lundahl who is reportedly very impressed with it, wants to add it to the Lundahl site. Pretty neat.

(JK, I wish).

Perhaps a commission might be a reasonable target. :wink:

May 24, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #394 of 2,468
With the rate you build new projects - that would have driven them to bankruptcy... :laughing:

Shhh they don't need to know...

May 24, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #395 of 2,468
Is there an alternative to Schurter IEC? Mouser refused to sell me Schurter IEC. "we are unable to sell this part to personal customers in your region"

May 24, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #396 of 2,468
Is there an alternative to Schurter IEC? Mouser refused to sell me Schurter IEC. "we are unable to sell this part to personal customers in your region"

You could try sourcing it elsewhere, or use the Bulgin IEC connector in the BOM, but some said their audiophile power cords didn't fit in it. Otherwise, you could try a different brand that has the same physical dimensions in terms of required chassis cutout and screw spacing as the Schurter or Bulgin. I don't know what these audiophile power cord companies are doing to make their cables not fit inside a standard IEC receptacle, so I can't speak to which IECs are compatible with them and which are not.

May 24, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #397 of 2,468
Otherwise, you could try a different brand that has the same physical dimensions in terms of required chassis cutout and screw spacing as the Schurter or Bulgin.

which one did you use with the one you built that I now have?

here is what happened with it:

I tried using my Cardas Clear Reflection power cable and I couldn't fit it in. This is a rather typical "audiophile" power cord, nothing too big or too small. Not a generic cable, but a 3-digit priced cable, the kind many may use at some point. I ended up using it for my DAC instead, here is what it looks like currently connected to that for a sense of scale (the top cable in the picutre):

1684966842923.png

For the Aegis, I ended up using Audio Sensibility's Testament SE power cable instead (a boutique shop that offers great value to price imho; I have a few of those). I got it with a 90-degree rotated plug that happens to work well for my setup, but a regular straight plug of that model will work as well.

1684967050072.png

So, whatever I have now in my Aegis should work for some "audiophile" cables, but not work for others (50/50? no idea).

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #398 of 2,468
which one did you use with the one you built that I now have?

here is what happened with it:

I tried using my Cardas Clear Reflection power cable and I couldn't fit it in. This is a rather typical "audiophile" power cord, nothing too big or too small. Not a generic cable, but a 3-digit priced cable, the kind many may use at some point. I ended up using it for my DAC instead, here is what it looks like currently connected to that for a sense of scale (the top cable in the picutre):

1684966842923.png

For the Aegis, I ended up using Audio Sensibility's Testament SE power cable instead (a boutique shop that offers great value to price imho; I have a few of those). I got it with a 90-degree rotated plug that happens to work well for my setup, but a regular straight plug of that model will work as well.

1684967050072.png

So, whatever I have now in my Aegis should work for some "audiophile" cables, but not work for others (50/50? no idea).

That is the Bulgin IEC, this one: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/161-PF0001-28

I was having some issues with some other models from other brands, the Bulgin is the highest quality of the sort of "standard" IECs I've tried available through Mouser.

But I think @Monsterzero reported the same thing, that his power cord did not fit in the Bulgin, which is a bummer. That Schurter IEC that I recommended as an alternative was used in Airmid, which @Monsterzero said was compatible with his power cord, which is why I suggested it. Why it isn't available in the UK, I do not know.

I would say if people have an issue with the Bulgin and cannot get the Schurter, there are other alternatives out there. The chassis cutout and M3 screw spacing should accommodate other models, just need to check the datasheet and make sure they are the same as the Bulgin/Schurter IEC. I just can't say which will fit some of these larger power cords and which will not. It might take some experimentation, but swapping out an IEC is very easy and they are relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #399 of 2,468
But I think @Monsterzero reported the same thing, that his power cord did not fit in the Bulgin, which is a bummer. That Schurter IEC that I recommended as an alternative was used in Airmid, which @Monsterzero said was compatible with his power cord, which is why I suggested it. Why it isn't available in the UK, I do not know.
Yep! I have the Lessloss C-Marc power cables and it would not fit with the Aegis that @goldwerger now has, but it fits like a glove on the Airmid.

May 24, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #400 of 2,468
Good news! I've heard back from Lundahl and order has been placed. They're saying July (and probably late July) for their turn around time, but we all knew it was going to be a long lead time.

Bad news! I've received parts from Jupiter and Tube Depot and both orders had errors. The Jupiter error is my fault, although I'm sure I triple checked it but the Tube Depot error is theirs. The baggie they sent was labelled correctly, but instead of 4 sockets of the same type, they had a bit of mix and match in there. I've reached out to both companies to fix things...and I have time :).

Also, ya'll are going to love my chassis when it arrives. Hopefully it's going to look as good built as it does in my head.

May 25, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #401 of 2,468
Good news! I've heard back from Lundahl and order has been placed. They're saying July (and probably late July) for their turn around time, but we all knew it was going to be a long lead time.

Bad news! I've received parts from Jupiter and Tube Depot and both orders had errors. The Jupiter error is my fault, although I'm sure I triple checked it but the Tube Depot error is theirs. The baggie they sent was labelled correctly, but instead of 4 sockets of the same type, they had a bit of mix and match in there. I've reached out to both companies to fix things...and I have time :).

Also, ya'll are going to love my chassis when it arrives. Hopefully it's going to look as good built as it does in my head.

Sorry that happened, should be able to get it sorted out. Looking forward to seeing what you've done with your chassis.

May 25, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #402 of 2,468
Thank you for your help. I downloaded one of those templates from the link you provided, filled it and forwarded it to Brian. We’ll see if it works for him, I’ll let you guys know in case it might help other overseas fellows stuck into this.
Finally managed to talk to Brian on the phone, that 9 hour difference between California and continental Europe is a real pain in the ass.
The template I downloaded from the site posted by @miter53 and forwarded to Brian was valid and he helped to fill it correctly. Very patient and helpful man.
Now that they have my payment details, he’ll get back to me once it’s ready to be shipped. Not sure I got this right, but I believe he quoted me about four weeks.
Next step is contacting Landfall Systems and ordering a chassis.

May 25, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #403 of 2,468
I am confused about length of M4 screws.
M4ScrewBlack8mm8For mounting LL2742 filter choke and chassis feet.
Chassis feet need 4mm long screws?

May 25, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #404 of 2,468
I am confused about length of M4 screws.
M4ScrewBlack8mm8For mounting LL2742 filter choke and chassis feet.
Chassis feet need 4mm long screws?

M4 means a 4mm wide screw, the length is 8mm. Four 8mm screws for the choke, four for the feet. It depends on what feet you use though, but the holes on the bottom plate are 4mm width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back