AEDLE VK-1 Limited Edition Headphones
May 15, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #38 of 183
Just received mine 15 minutes ago... so just some short first impressions.

Packaging is really nice, just like the design of the headphones. What Tyll mentioned in his short notice about his encounter at CES is actually true: there are slight imperfections in the stitching of the pads and the headband -- which does give them an even nicer look.

Comfort is actually quite good (but I'm used to DT1350...), cable is quite short (OK for mobile use, for desktop I'd like a bit more).

Soundwise I can't say much at the moment... strong bass for sure, but resolution seems OK so far. Could use a little more sparkling treble though they are not dark sounding. The peak at 5kHz shown in their graph on the Aedle website is definitely there but its far from stressful. It reminds me a bit of the AIAIAI TMA-1, though not as coloured by far. Soundstage is OK, not closed in like the HD25 (which has an overall different signature).

I'll habe to use them for some days I guess... lets see.

May 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #39 of 183
Quote:
Just received mine 15 minutes ago... so just some short first impressions.

Packaging is really nice, just like the design of the headphones. What Tyll mentioned in his short notice about his encounter at CES is actually true: there are slight imperfections in the stitching of the pads and the headband -- which does give them an even nicer look.

Comfort is actually quite good (but I'm used to DT1350...), cable is quite short (OK for mobile use, for desktop I'd like a bit more).

Soundwise I can't say much at the moment... strong bass for sure, but resolution seems OK so far. Could use a little more sparkling treble though they are not dark sounding. The peak at 5kHz shown in their graph on the Aedle website is definitely there but its far from stressful. It reminds me a bit of the AIAIAI TMA-1, though not as coloured by far. Soundstage is OK, not closed in like the HD25 (which has an overall different signature).

I'll habe to use them for some days I guess... lets see.

Mine arrived as well. I'm very satisfied with the sound. Quite sensitive.
I expect that the treble will improve after burn in. Suprisingly good soundstage.

May 16, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #42 of 183
Quote:
Plakat, how does it compare to your K550 (saw it on your last pic if I am not mistaken)?

Thats right, the K550 sneaked into the shot :wink:

It's still a bit early for final conclusions, but the bass is much more prominent on the VK-1 (though not bad, i.e. it does have resolution and seems to go quite deep without an annoying mid-bass hump). The K550 has more sparkle and much better resolution in the treble, it does not suffer from the 5kHz spike I mentioned in yesterdays post. The K550 sounds much leaner, with better resolution and a much wider soundstage (which is still not bad with the VK-1). Comfort-wise its no contest -- but I would not wear the K550 out and about. It does fold flat though (which the VK-1 does not), so its still transportable.

As the question of adjustment came about: The cups do move up and down the rods they are mounted on, but the possible adjustment range seems a bit limited to me. Did not have any problems with fit, though. Neither my colleague who tried it out yesterday. The cups also rotate a bit around that axis, so they adjust to your ears.

I really like the look of the VK-1, its quite comfortable for on-ear and the sound is not bad for a mobile set and environment. Overall there are better headphones in that price range (i.e. my long-time favourite DT1350), nevertheless I like it so far. Can't tell how robust it actually is... it sure looks fragile but feels solid.

May 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #43 of 183
I love K550 as well but like you said, I would not wear this out as well. I've once been asked on why I am having two mushroom on my head .. 

Is the VK-1 difficult to drive? I would be driving this straight from the iPhone, would be good if I don't need to take the HP-P1. Also, how's the clamping force and noise isolation? 

Quote:

Thats right, the K550 sneaked into the shot :wink:

It's still a bit early for final conclusions, but the bass is much more prominent on the VK-1 (though not bad, i.e. it does have resolution and seems to go quite deep without an annoying mid-bass hump). The K550 has more sparkle and much better resolution in the treble, it does not suffer from the 5kHz spike I mentioned in yesterdays post. The K550 sounds much leaner, with better resolution and a much wider soundstage (which is still not bad with the VK-1). Comfort-wise its no contest -- but I would not wear the K550 out and about. It does fold flat though (which the VK-1 does not), so its still transportable.

As the question of adjustment came about: The cups do move up and down the rods they are mounted on, but the possible adjustment range seems a bit limited to me. Did not have any problems with fit, though. Neither my colleague who tried it out yesterday. The cups also rotate a bit around that axis, so they adjust to your ears.

I really like the look of the VK-1, its quite comfortable for on-ear and the sound is not bad for a mobile set and environment. Overall there are better headphones in that price range (i.e. my long-time favourite DT1350), nevertheless I like it so far. Can't tell how robust it actually is... it sure looks fragile but feels solid.

May 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #44 of 183
I don't see any problems driving them directly from an iPhone or similar player... they are quite efficient. Although they seem much more lively with better treble when driven by my Lake People amp compared to an iPhone5. That said the remote button is not their strongest point: not a clear click, quite hard to press.

Out of the box I'm quite satisfied with the comfort. They have a paper in the packaging telling you how to correctly stretch out the headband if you feel uncomfortable. The pads are quite soft, the leather is very nice to touch. They are still on-ear though, so the K550 is of course more comfortable in the long run.

Can't say much about isolation as I did not take them out with me today... I just tried it with my home hifi playing at normal listening level (i.e. not loud): had no problem hearing my music on the VK-1 without raising volume, music from the speakers was no issue. Covering the cups with my hands I can only hear faint noise, I'd say they don't leak much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back