Advise me! iPhone 3G LOD/amp?
Jan 15, 2009 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jtgamble

New Head-Fier
I've been a long time lurker of these forums, but only recently started posting.

I would love some advice regarding my iPhone 3G. I'm going to be getting a set of custom IEMs (still deciding on exactly which, but probably either the sleeks or the UE 5pro's) and am wondering if I should be getting an LOD/amp to get the most out of them. So, I guess the question is, would the difference be notable (read large) enough to justify the extra expenditure. I've read that the 3G has pretty good SQ for an iPod, but would adding the LOD/amp improve it drastically?

I'm already going to be spending quite a bit on the IEMs, so I don't want to spend TONS extra, and I'd also like to keep my iPhone EASILY pocketable.

Recommendations? I'd like to stick to a pretty small amp if possible.

Thank you!

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 7
I run IEMs (Shure e3c) and a Grado RS-1 straight out of my 3G iPhone. They both sound very good so I have no plans to buy a LOD or portable amp. The IEMs and iPhone are very pocketable and convenient, too.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 7
The RSA mustang is a bit bigger than I would like. I'm thinking more along the lines of the fiio e5 for size, though I can go a bit bigger than that. Though if more people agree with Uncle Erik then it doesn't appear that I would really need one at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtgamble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RSA mustang is a bit bigger than I would like. I'm thinking more along the lines of the fiio e5 for size, though I can go a bit bigger than that. Though if more people agree with Uncle Erik then it doesn't appear that I would really need one at all
smily_headphones1.gif

How about an iBasso T4?

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 7
I've also got a 5th gen ipod video that I may start using again (if that makes any difference to recommendations). It would be good to be able to use this system for both
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortonjl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about an iBasso T4?

That T4 looks promising - good size, could easily fit behind the iPhone without adding too much thickness and width. How is the Travagans Colors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back