Advices for a newbie (needing a closed-back headphones)
Apr 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ryantodd33

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm a total newb in the world of headphones (hence coming to this section!). I enjoy listening to pop songs, and not much interest on hip-hop/rap. At times, I would go to bed listening to classical songs to set the mood right 
beyersmile.png

Heard a lot of talk about the Ath-M50s (do people still buy them these days?). Almost bought the m50 til i decided to post here 
happy_face1.gif

Budget: $150 (can increase a little bit if really necessary)
Fire away with your opinions and advices!!!

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 29
Hi,

Do you need isolation? Are you looking for powerfull bass or a more neutral presentation with better clarity?

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 29
Well, I'm a college kid and will be using it in my dorm, during lectures and when I'm browsing the net from my laptop/smartphone. So I would say I'll be using it in quiet places. And I do prefer the neutral presentation and clarity :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 29
Well, I'm a college kid and will be using it in my dorm, during lectures . . .

You better get an IEM that you can hide the cable. Professors aren't going to be too thrilled with you wearing headphones during class. LOL

As far as the DT770, I like it better than the M50. I think you would enjoy it. 32 ohm would be easier to drive with portable devices.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 29
You better get an IEM that you can hide the cable. Professors aren't going to be too thrilled with you wearing headphones during class. LOL

As far as the DT770, I like it better than the M50. I think you would enjoy it. 32 ohm would be easier to drive with portable devices.

Haha I'm lucky enough to score well in my exams, so the professors couldn't really say much XD
Thanks for your input, mate :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 29
Wow, reading the reviews on the dt770 already makes me wanna forget about the m50! Though, I have zero clue on the variants of dt770. Any idea on which is better?

The DT770 are great if you like A LOT of bass.  What type of music do you listen to mostly?

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 29

The DT770 are great if you like A LOT of bass.  What type of music do you listen to mostly?

Well mostly i'm a fan of pop songs. Justin Timberlake, Simple Plan. Avril Lavigne, McFly, Plain White T's, One Republic, Kelly Clarkson, Cher Lloyd. Sometimes would go for alternative rock or pop punk, like Fall Out Boy and Paramore. Not much know-how on the technical jargons, I would say I value <b>clarity</b>, i.e. how original it would sound, able to listen to the instruments playing and the singer's lyrics. Bass is my optional thing, so I guess moderate amount of it will do, as long as it won't be too low and boring? Haha pardon me if i'm sounding a little choosy on this, after all this will be my first headphones and like all first loves, you'd want it to be able to create a wonderful chapter in your life 
gs1000.gif

Careful with the DT770s though, there's a bunch of different models with different power needs.. Stick with the 32 or 80 Ohm version (and consider an external amp if you choose the latter).

beerchug.gif
  Just read on the impedance (boy, thanks to the community, I've learned quite a bunch from Head-Fi threads!), amps are not really necessary for me, at least for now! I'm living of scholarship allowances, so I gotta take things slow 
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 29
  Well mostly i'm a fan of pop songs. Justin Timberlake, Simple Plan. Avril Lavigne, McFly, Plain White T's, One Republic, Kelly Clarkson, Cher Lloyd. Sometimes would go for alternative rock or pop punk, like Fall Out Boy and Paramore. Not much know-how on the technical jargons, I would say I value <b>clarity</b>, i.e. how original it would sound, able to listen to the instruments playing and the singer's lyrics. Bass is my optional thing, so I guess moderate amount of it will do, as long as it won't be too low and boring? Haha pardon me if i'm sounding a little choosy on this, after all this will be my first headphones and like all first loves, you'd want it to be able to create a wonderful chapter in your life 
gs1000.gif

beerchug.gif
  Just read on the impedance (boy, thanks to the community, I've learned quite a bunch from Head-Fi threads!), amps are not really necessary for me, at least for now! I'm living of scholarship allowances, so I gotta take things slow 
biggrin.gif

With the DT770 you will get clarity and thundering bass.  Another good choice would be the Fidelio X1 (a little more expensive thought).

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 29
X1 was on sale for 150 on amazon recently?  

I tried on Custom One on my sansa clip...one day whilst shopping, think it still needs an amp to control that bass. 

UE6000 is quite a bargain now? if u enjoy pop, abit of classicals...this can is fine. 

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-000079-6000-Headphones-Discontinued/dp/B0094S36RI

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #15 of 29
I think DT770 will be too bass heavy and I recommend SRH840 instead. It sounds fine with or without an amp. The only problem some have (myself included) is the weight of the headband, but there's a mod for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back