Advice would be great!
Apr 11, 2007 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Krohn

Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I just recently got into portable music, so I've been reading a lot about headphones for myself. I was a sound guy a while back (mainly home theatre), but ran out of money. Things a different now, and I'd like to get back into it. This is my first look into quality headphones. I'd like to start smaller (less then $100) and work up.

I listen to many different types of music (Rock, Metal, Hip-Hop, Acoustic stuff, etc) mainly 90's rock though. I'd also be hooking them up to listen to Vinyl at home, and wearing them all day at work. I don't ride the bus or train or anything, so i'm not sure open or closed needs to be a HUGE factor. I HATE ear buds. I'm one of those 'only thing in my ear is my elbow' people. I simply can't stand it.

Anyway, I've been looking at a few types. I like the Grado SR60, but availability is limited in Canada, which drives the price up from what I've seen. I like the AKG K26P and the Sennheiser PX100. I may be willing to jump the price a bit go for AKG 81DJ or the Sennheiser EH350 (which seem really nice to me). The EH350 seems to have an amazing price with amazing reviews. They're also the biggest of the headphones listed, and im not a big person...

Sorry for yet another 'please help me decide' threads. After all the reading i've been doing, my brain feels fried. I never thought there was SO MANY types of quality headphones in these price ranges. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 14
get an sr225 and forget about an amp. If the price is not good overseas for grado (obviously) there are plenty of used ones here on sale. Grado is not bad for hiphop in my opinion because these headphones do have bass slam. Extension is poor meaning the deepest bass isn't reached but then it doesn't matter too much since most material required massive amounts of bass is usually higher frequency midbass which does ok with these grados. I'd skip the somewhat fatiging sr60's though.

the last thing you want right now is a k81dj, recabled, an expensive amp, and accessories that are all too commonly suggested. Use all the money towards a nice portable player and a good grado like the 225s.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 14
If you're going to wear something all day, I would definitely avoid Grado's as those might be uncomfortable. I'm not saying it's impossible - I've worn Grado's for over 7 hrs before - but they aren't very comfortable. I feel that is a pretty big risk. What I would do is go for the audio technica series of headphones. They are circum-aural which means the pads are around your ears instead of pressing on your ears. The Audio-Technica A700 or A900 are good choices.

If you have no problems with Grado comfort, then by all means go get yourself a pair of SR-80's + HD414 yellow pads. I would buy a used pair of SR-80s on the forums as that will let you save money in two ways.

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 14
I have a couple of the ones you mention, so I can give you some insight into my experiences.

K81DJ - Great for the types of music that you mentioned, don't leak sound and are very portable. They can get a little uncomfortable after a couple hours of straight listening, but the quality for the price can't be beat. BTW, I'd skip the K26P and go for these.

SR60 - Just got a pair of these a couple months ago and are my favorite right now. They are open, so if you find that you need something that doesn't leak, this one may not be the right choice. Absolutely love them.

PX100 - I bought these for my wife and I listen to them as well. Small, portable and sound great for the price. I do prefer the brighter sound of the Grado's over these.

I haven't heard the others mentioned, but you've got a good list going. Good luck!

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 14
I have to agree with rb67 on the fact that Grado's just aren't comfortable for long listens. I'm using comfy pads, though I've tried bowls and I can't wear them for more than 5 minutes. I think the Senn 414 pads would be better as they're a bit more thicker and softer than the comfy's, but nothing's as comfortable as a circumaural phone. =T

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks everyone for the advice. I may end up getting multiple sets of headphones afterall
orphsmile.gif
. I really like the EH350 (recommended by my DJ friend). I'll probably grab those for my vinyl. I'll be scanning the forums for some used Grado's I think. I also think The Source in my area has some Koss PortaPro's for cheap, so I may grab those for a bit, then move them to the wifes workout phones once I find some Grado's on here.

Thanks again. Love at first site does exsit! This forum is great
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 14
I prefer the Grado to the PX100 (a great phone nonetheless). At $100, you can probably land a used SR125 or MS1 (possibly even higher). Grados sound awesome even without amps. Discomfort may be an issue after a long time, although I've never had this problem. Most Grados are terminated in 1/4" plugs, so keep that in mind. One model that'd be worth looking into, if you're willing to stretch that budget of yours, is the HF-1. They were originally sold at $200, but now it's more like $325 shipped. The high prices are due to the limited supply, making it a collector's item, but they are still great cans from what i've read. They are pretty similar to the SR-225s (many here believes SR225s to be the best valued cans), but with a wooden driver housing, although the outside still looks the same as most Prestige Series models.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 14
Not sure if you read the forum guidelines or not, but if you're going to post around here it's a requirement that you pick up a pair of KSC75's, too.

icon10.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if you read the forum guidelines or not, but if you're going to post around here it's a requirement that you pick up a pair of KSC75's, too.

icon10.gif

QFT. Don't question it, just do it.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 14
surely you can find someone in the U.S. that will deliver in Canada? i say that because my lucky fellow American headphone enthusiasts can get the grado SR60's for $69, you lucky people!

buy a pair of sennheiser hd414 earpads, that should cure the comfrot problem of the grado's, and they do have a comfort problem!

http://item.express.ebay.com/Consume...mdZExpressItem

May 1, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Well...after lots of reading, and more reading, then a bit more reading...I have 3 sets of headphones in transit right now. I have KSC75 and PX100 on the way for portable use, great deal thanks to the FS forums! An early birthday present from the wife is a set of MS-1 that are on the way now. I think she did it to shut me up about all this headphone stuff. She's found a great way to accomplish that!
biggrin.gif

Thanks head-fi for the help, my wallet is lighter already!
Krohn

May 1, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
surely you can find someone in the U.S. that will deliver in Canada? i say that because my lucky fellow American headphone enthusiasts can get the grado SR60's for $69, you lucky people!

buy a pair of sennheiser hd414 earpads, that should cure the comfrot problem of the grado's, and they do have a comfort problem!

http://item.express.ebay.com/Consume...mdZExpressItem

blink.gif

Tiny URL

Or use the little Globe/link icon to embed a url into a word as I have done.
Url's do not get properly "word wrapped" on bulletin boards and end up causing one to have to side scroll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back