[Advice Wanted] Upgrading from Schiit Mjolnir Gen. 1
Feb 24, 2016 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

InsanityOne

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi,

At some point within the next year I want to move on from my Schiit Mjolnir Gen. 1 to a better amplifier to pair with my Schiit Gungnir Multibit. The three amps I am currently considering are: 

(Amplifiers are ranked by number in relation to my relative interest in them. + Signs indicate user votes)

Leading Contenders:
1.) HeadAmp GS-X MK2 w/DACT - ~$2200+ Used.
+2.) Violectric V281 - ~$1700 Used.

Possibilities:
3.) Auralic Taurus MK2 ~ $1200 Used.
+4.) Schiit Ragnarok - ~$1300 Used.

Scrapped:
5.) SPL Phonitor 2 - ~$1700 Used. [Scrapped due to annoying balanced headphone connection and bias towards studio monitoring]

I am trying to keep the price range at ~$2500 or below, but I am open to other amplifier suggestions besides the three that I have listed above. As you can probably tell by the amplifiers I have selected, I want the amp to be fully balanced and solid state. No SE conversion to balanced or "warm" tubes please! I just want a great solid state upgrade from my current Schiit Mjolnir Gen. 1.

Thanks!

- InsanityOne 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 13
Surprised you're not considering the Schiit Ragnarok.  The Auralic Taurus MK2 is worth considering too.  

Will you be using this to power the cans listed in your signature?  Anything else?

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 13
  Surprised you're not considering the Schiit Ragnarok.  The Auralic Taurus MK2 is worth considering too.  

Will you be using this to power the cans listed in your signature?  Anything else?

I guess I never stopped to think about the Schiit Ragnarok, I guess what turns me off about the Rag. is that it doesn't have adjustable gain and it is so big and heavy and would never fit on my desk. But if it really is one of "the best" solid state amps I would start giving it some thought.

As for the Auralic Taurus MK2, I have not heard much about that amp in terms of how it compares to other top end solid state amplifiers, maybe I am just not reading the right reviews though. The Taurus MK2 can be had for around ~$1200 used though so it is by far the cheapest of the bunch.

EDIT: As for what headphones I will be using with this amplifier, I would suspect that around this price-point I will be approaching my "end-game" solid state amp. So most likely I would be using any / all headphones that I own or will own moving forward.

Thanks!

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 13
Unfortunately the only amp I've actually listened to out of the bunch is the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, which to me sounded extremely neutral and well rounded.  You won't find many if any people who can give an accurate comparison of most of these amps.  Assuming you can't audition most of these amps, all I can tell you is what I'd do in a similar situation.

If I was planning on getting the HE-6 at some point and using it primarily, I'd get the Ragnarok for the power output (and of course because it's a highly praised amp).  Otherwise I'd get the Violectric just based on what I hear from people I trust (very positive feedback about their build quality/components and design).  The Phonitor seems more known for its feature set than its sound quality, for what it's worth.  All of the others seem like a safe bet.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 13
  Unfortunately the only amp I've actually listened to out of the bunch is the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, which to me sounded extremely neutral and well rounded.  You won't find many if any people who can give an accurate comparison of most of these amps.  Assuming you can't audition most of these amps, all I can tell you is what I'd do in a similar situation.

If I was planning on getting the HE-6 at some point and using it primarily, I'd get the Ragnarok for the power output (and of course because it's a highly praised amp).  Otherwise I'd get the Violectric just based on what I hear from people I trust (very positive feedback about their build quality/components and design).  The Phonitor seems more known for its feature set than its sound quality, for what it's worth.  All of the others seem like a safe bet.

Yes, I have heard a lot of great things about the GS-X MK2 and the V281. I also think that you are right when you say that the Phonitor 2 is known for a lot of its extra features geared towards studio monitoring versus actual sound quality. Plus the Phonitor 2 is a pain when it comes to connecting balanced headphones. So maybe I will remove the Phonitor 2 from my list and just consider the V281 or the GS-X MK2 as I do not think I ever plan on owning an HE-6.

Edit: Updated the OP to reflect this information.

- InsanityOne 
k701smile.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 13
  I guess I never stopped to think about the Schiit Ragnarok, I guess what turns me off about the Rag. is that it doesn't have adjustable gain and it is so big and heavy. But if it really is one of "the best" solid state amps I would start giving it some thought.

Big and heavy - I'm with you there. I'm still on the prowl for something a little smaller.
But adjustable gain, I've no clue what you mean. It has three adjustable gain levels, and the knob provides for perfect volume adjustment.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 13
  Big and heavy - I'm with you there. I'm still on the prowl for something a little smaller.
But adjustable gain, I've no clue what you mean. It has three adjustable gain levels, and the knob provides for perfect volume adjustment.

This is my bad. I completely overlooked that part in the reviews of the Rag I was reading. It does have adjustable gain right on the front with a button. Oops! 
confused_face.gif
 But still, I think the Ragnarok is just too big for me. I mean, maybe it would really win me over in an audition, but I just feel that it is so large that it demands its own stand, whereas I like to have my Amp / DAC sitting on my desk very close to me so that I can use it while I work / use my computer.

- InsanityOne 
o2smile.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 13
  1+ for Violectric V281

Duly noted! Any specific reasons as to why, and any comments on why you feel that the V281 is a better contender than the other amplifiers I have listed?

Thanks!

- InsanityOne 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 13
Feb 24, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 13
  Just realized I've heard all your top four, except the Violectric. Have you also read Big Sound:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-wrap-my-take-headphone-amps

Like I said, I'm also in pursuit of a more portable solid-state. Violectric seems compact enough to fit the bill, though if they ever start cranking out Black Widows again, that's my vote!

I just read that article you posted, thanks for that! It was a really good read, it is reassuring to see that the GS-X MK2 made it to #2 on the list for SS amps. Although it is too bad that the V281 got somewhat of a "boring" review on the list though. And by "Black Widow" I assume you are talking about the Eddie Current Black Widow? Are they truly out of production for good? I thought they were still taking pre-orders for them? I had forgotten about that amp until just now and I may actually have to start considering that one...

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 13
  I just read that article you posted, thanks for that! It was a really good read, it is reassuring to see that the GS-X MK2 made it to #2 on the list for SS amps. Although it is too bad that the V281 got somewhat of a "boring" review on the list though. And by "Black Widow" I assume you are talking about the Eddie Current Black Widow? Are they truly out of production for good? I thought they were still taking pre-orders for them? I had forgotten about that amp until just now and I may actually have to start considering that one...

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

I would not say "out of production" but Eddie Current changed the design. And hope the new design sounds equally good and starts cranking out to buyers soon. It definitely has my interest.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 13
  I would not say "out of production" but Eddie Current changed the design. And hope the new design sounds equally good and starts cranking out to buyers soon. It definitely has my interest.

Ah yes, in that case I cannot wait to see some reviews of the new design! Although I would definitely want the version with the upgraded balanced input if I did decide to go that route. As of right now it seems like I will wait a little bit longer and keep saving for a GS-X MK2. Although I have heard rumors that the "Alpha" version is better than the "DACT" version for high efficiency headphones like my Beyer T5p's?

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back