advice wanted for entry level iem
Jun 13, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #16 of 24
All of the IEMs you are looking at can be very uncomfortable. I would be more inclined to to go for a Sennheiser CX-300 or UE metro-fi. With music playing the isolation is plenty and they don't sit as deep in the ear canal as the proper IEMs.

The CX-300s are excerssively bassy, but once you get used to them they are quite reasonable. They also look great and don't stick out of your ear at all (which might be important to the non-audiophile
wink.gif
) The UEs are reputed to have better clarity and detail but are slightly bigger and stick out a little more.

Jun 13, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #17 of 24
Just so you know, X3 uses the same tips as CX300, where both offer an good isolation (better than most over-the-ear), but not as good as IEM with bi/tri-flange.

Jun 13, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #19 of 24
I own the ER6i and they get my vote. Fairly cheap and they work very well on an Ipod as far as power needed to drive them goes. As for the filter replacement thats an issue that depends on circumstance. Ive worn mine for about 6 or 7 months straight without needing to replace the filters once (Even viewed them under a microscope to see if there was any buildup I wasn't seeing) so their replacement can be stretched to say the least. Sound quality is excellent and worlds above the standard buds. Further the smallest sillicone tips in the kit fit into my sisters ears perfectly, and she has very small ears that the other ones stood no chance with.

As for the isolation factor, once you have these in and have ANYTHING playing at any volume the world is shut out. You can't hear anything when they are in, and I mean anything.

Jun 13, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks clieOS. im just having trouble deciding whether "good" isolation would be adequate for planes...and the only point of reference i have is the bose quietcomfort

Comparing to ER6i (rated at 34~36dB in noise reduction) and ER20 (12~20dB), I'll say X3 has a 10~20dB noise reduction (20dB only when you get it a really good seal). It should be just enough for plane use, but 6i will do a much better job.

Jun 13, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #21 of 24
thanks clieOS! i think that pretty much decides it, the x3 is just too good an offer! and judging from ur analysis, the x3 will provide adequate isolation for my gf's uses. i will promptly remove myself from these forums before permanent damage to my wallet!

oh! and thanks everyone else for their input! everyone in this forum are so helpful, even with the billionth post for recommendations on iem.

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #22 of 24
Don't go just yet, we haven't introduced you to the E500 and ER4P...
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #23 of 24
Just my 2 cents, and i KNOW people here would think this is sacrilege but:

After having done my research and bought a pair of Super.Fi5 Pros, and totally falling in love with them over a few months, i HAD to try some JVC marshmallows. I had looked for them before, but never thought the $15 walmart special was worth my time.

I can confidently say, after spending very little time with them, that I could have saved myself nearly $200.

For me they are much more comfortable, low profile, and not to mention i can use these out and about without having to worry about breaking something so expensive.

So anyone getting this far in the thread, if you are new to IEMS, find a pair of marshmallows. DO IT.

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #24 of 24
I personally enjoy my JVC HAFX55 - cost me all of $20 - but then again, when it comes to IEMs, I'm not that picky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back