Advice wanted: Closed headphones
Apr 24, 2008 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tetsuo55

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, i have been a lurker for some time now, but it became time to sign up and see if anyone could help me out with a headphone choice.

I will try to give a little profile of myself, explaining the main issues i face when choosing a headphone.

First about myself

I am a so called "hyper-sensitive" person, this means that my ears are hyper-sensitive to touch, sound and sound/air pressure. some details:

Something that touches my ear all the time with slight pressure is impossible for me to wear for more than a few minutes (things like on-ear headphones or in-ear headphones are impossible)

I can hear both very low and very high hz sounds, like the so called unhearable ringtone and dog whistles(although i feel those more than hear them) and low sounds like the vibration of a wall when a ship passes by (the shipping route is about 1km distance from my house)
Those hz that i cannot hear i still feel, i have never tested how high or low i can go...

The sound pressure boundry results in me using a very low volume level, about 8 for normal listening and no higher than 15 for intense listening on my D2 with senheiser mx450 phones.
The car stereo never goes above 12 and my 5.1 home cinema never goes over 25%
Converted to a single number i would say i never up the volume over 25% of the device's capability anything about this value starts to hurt.

Next what kind of music do i listen too

Basically everything, from classic to hardtrance to soundtracks to pop, most of the time i will be listening to electronic music like trance and soundtracks. The headphones will also be used for documentary and movie watching via a pc-headphone jack.

I am definatly not a bass-head eventhough my music styles do contain a lot of bass i like my bass controlled and in balance with the rest of the frequencies.

where do i listen and what do i use:

I will be listening to my music mostly when seated at work, in public transport or at home when studying, all these call for noise blocking both into and out of the headphones.
The idea is to be able to wear and listen comfortably for long sessions (up to 8 hours)
The listening devices used will be a Cowon Iaudio D2 and PC and Laptop headphone-jack

The D2 is said to have a bass roloff starting at thirty something DB, so this might need to be compensated by the headphones

What am i using now:
Currently using a Sennheiser MX 450, for some bizare reason these don't heart my ears when used for less than 1 hour, my home cinema system is a creative 5100.

As you can see the sound quality of these speakers and headphones sucks. I'ts time for something better.

My Budget is: As low as possible

And here are the headphones i found so far that might fit the bill:

Ultrasone HFI-780
Sennheiser HD280 pro
AKG k530

So can anyone help me out, what would be the best set of closed headphones for me?

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 17
It seems like you have the same taste as I do, so this is what I would suggest. I also can hear those tones and they annoy me to no end. My hearing level is not good, but my ability to distinguish frequency and detail is very high ( freq response of 10Hz-24/25kHz). It just needs to be played at 30db or higher for me to hear it.

Sounds like you need some Audio Technicas or maybe an AKG k271.

The HD280 is too slow for what you want and oddly dry.

The HFI-780's are way too in your face and not comfy at all.

You could get some AT-a700's and be very happy. The k271 will give you the desired accuracy and more isolation, but they can be a bit heavy for my taste (physically).

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 17
thanks for the replies everyone.

so we have 3 votes for the ATH-A700 and one cautionary vote for the AKG k271

It's very hard to get my hands on the ATH-A700, and the prices i saw so far are about $300.. Ouch!

i can probably listen to the k271 in quite a few places, i have seen them as low as $185

I will keep my eyes open for the ATH-A700 though

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 17
The AKG K271 re very highly regarded but are said to require amping. Depending what kind of a store you listen to them it, it is likely that will be through a pre amp, so they will sound better there than from your laptop.

Most would recommend the ATs unamped.

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 17
The Beyerdynamic DT770s are extremely comfortable for me, and I usally can't listen to headphones for long periods.

I also find that the have pretty good noise-blocking and little sound leakage.

However, they are known for being somewhat bass-heavy, so you may not like them. They're a pretty easy headphone to pick from places with good return policies, though (Amazon, Guitar Center, etc) so you might consider at least giving them a listen.

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 17
the DT770 has a very high resistance basically forcing the use of an amp (which i do not want to do)

although i agree they look nice, also the price class is pretty high for me locally ($320)

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 17
I'm also very sensitive.
The DT 770 pro 80 that I own have too much clamping force on my head.
Too much bass. And the treble is awfull. A lot of sibilance and so on.
I just bought the AKG K271 Studio. And they are just perfect.
I recommend them highly.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also very sensitive.
The DT 770 pro 80 that I own have too much clamping force on my head.
Too much bass. And the treble is awfull. A lot of sibilance and so on.
I just bought the AKG K271 Studio. And they are just perfect.
I recommend them highly.

Have you been able to try the ATH_A700? where did you buy the K271 (i too am from nl)

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 17
What I forgot. The AKG K271 S is also a comfortable headphone.
After a short while, you forget you have them on.
Maybe the earpads can be a bit sweaty, but I think you can put velours pads on them.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tetsuo55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you been able to try the ATH_A700? where did you buy the K271 (i too am from nl)

I never tried the A700. Have no idea where to buy them.
I bought the K271 second hand from Marktplaats.nl for 80 Euro, they are a few moths old.
But you can buy them as well in a lot of web stores for about 120 Euro.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 17
By the way, Tetsuo55, you're most welcome to come to Winschoten, and listen to the DT770 and the K271...

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 17
You should try checking out the headphones for sale forum on head-fi. Lots of people ship internationally and things will be alot cheaper than local prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back