Advice to improve desktop to get the most out of AKG k702's
Jan 12, 2013 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

KaneKomma

New Head-Fier
Well met, O great knowledge bearers of audio excellence!

I yearn to someday bask in the excellence of audiophilia, and as such, I have dipped my toes into your knowledge base.  Where I expected to find a straight solution to every audio quandary, I instead saw the depth of information that, honestly, was quite fearsome for someone as inexperienced as myself.  Coming to this humbling conclusion, I seek your guidance in order to achieve optimal performance! /buttkissing

I recently built myself a desktop, used primarily for gaming and multimedia, and am looking for a good, headphones based, audio setup.  I just ordered the AKG K702's, based on some forum-diving and advice from a fellow novice audiophile.  I figure my next move should be to get a sound card.  From what I have read, the xonar dx or dgx sound like solid choices. 

My questions for you folks are two-fold; Is there any other equipment I should be looking into getting in order to bring my system to term? and Given a rough budget of $350(give or take a bit) what would be the most quintessential purchases I could make?

My current desktop setup:

Mobo:  SABERTOOTH 990fx
Headphones:  AKG k702
OS:  Windows 7 ultimate x64  *( I am in the process of trying to use Ubuntu as well, but have a ways to go)

In regards to multimedia, I listen mostly to jazz, electroswing, and house, but also enjoy a fair amount of classical(especially piano and violin). 
Gaming wise, I play skyrim, unreal tournament, eve online, and some other mainstream fps/rpg/rts.  

Thanks in advance guys(and gals)!

-Kane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back