Advice request and Hi to everybody.
Dec 19, 2022 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

M3rovingio

New Head-Fier
Good morning,

My name is M3rovingio and I am new here, posting.
Been reading these forums for quite a long time.
I am a bit baffled and find myself lost so I will explain why I wish a piece of advice:

I own since 6 years ago a Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm and an Audioengine D1, I use this for gaming and music. Never been very happy with the sound tbh, too flat for my taste but I liked the soundstage and the clarity.
My cans just broke and I bought DT770 32ohm, listened to them 10 minutes and sent them back, I barely noticed any difference with the DT880.
My commuting cans are Sony WH-1000xm4 and I'm quite satisfied with the sound.

My question are:

Can you recommend me anything that sounds similar or better than my commuting cans.
While I would like to keep using the Audioengine, I am open to suggestions and I have a fair budget available.
I like that soft deep bass that my Sonys have and the Beyers never showed at all.

Thanks very much for your time and wishing all of you a very nice day and MC.

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 6
Good day, what is your budget roughly? And what do you listen to?

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 6
Interesting that you heard little difference between the DT770 and DT880 as the 880 has a pretty boring tuning with the Beyer extra serving of treble, whereas the DT770 has the benefit of more bass than the 880, but the staging will be smaller due to it being a closed back.
You heard no added bass on the 770?

I have not heard your Sony so take this with a couple grains of salt, but you can try to find an old Philips Fidelio X1 or X2, which is easy to drive, has more bass than the DT880, a pretty wide stage and has less treble than the Beyers, which you may or may not prefer.

There is also the Beyer DT990, which is open back and has more bass than the DT880 but im not sure you will enjoy it as you didnt like the DT770.

For a totally different sound you might look into a Meze Classic 99, which is much warmer sounding than the Beyers and not as open, but has gobs of midbass for a fun and exciting sound.

All three of those can be had fairly inexpensively. If you really want to up the budget look into a Focal Clear.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 6
Good day, what is your budget roughly? And what do you listen to?
I'm in the Uk, so if I'm advised to spend 50 to get something nice or 300. I would consider all options.
Apple music & youtube ... electronic, new age, tecno, podcasts.

Interesting that you heard little difference between the DT770 and DT880 as the 880 has a pretty boring tuning with the Beyer extra serving of treble, whereas the DT770 has the benefit of more bass than the 880, but the staging will be smaller due to it being a closed back.
You heard no added bass on the 770?

I have not heard your Sony so take this with a couple grains of salt, but you can try to find an old Philips Fidelio X1 or X2, which is easy to drive, has more bass than the DT880, a pretty wide stage and has less treble than the Beyers, which you may or may not prefer.

There is also the Beyer DT990, which is open back and has more bass than the DT880 but im not sure you will enjoy it as you didnt like the DT770.

For a totally different sound you might look into a Meze Classic 99, which is much warmer sounding than the Beyers and not as open, but has gobs of midbass for a fun and exciting sound.

All three of those can be had fairly inexpensively. If you really want to up the budget look into a Focal Clear.

I just noticed the extra isolation of the 770, basswise not much difference. Could it be the audioengine d1 is not appropriate thing to drive headphones?
Would you recommend me to start considering a dac plus headphone amp too?
The focal looks amazing, this thing probably needs lots of moneys in amp, no?

Thank you both for your answers.

Last time I heard something I really liked was an Audeze lcd2 with an Astell&Kern Acro L1000 in 2018 Bristol Audio show, I should have bought that right there hehehehe.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 6
I just noticed the extra isolation of the 770, basswise not much difference. Could it be the audioengine d1 is not appropriate thing to drive headphones?
Would you recommend me to start considering a dac plus headphone amp too?
The focal looks amazing, this thing probably needs lots of moneys in amp, no?
I have no experience with the Audioengine 1 so I can't say one way or the other, but considering the high sensitivity of the DT770 as well as the low impedance version you had, that particular DT770 does not require a powerful amp to sound good.

Similarly the Focal Clears are easy to drive as well, but yes they do scale rather highly with better amps. My buddy loves his driven out of a Chord Mojo, so one doesnt need an expensive amp to enjoy the Clears, but it helps.

Whether or not you should invest in a bigger/better/pricier amp and DAC depends upon your budget

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Last time I heard something I really liked was an Audeze lcd2 with an Astell&Kern Acro L1000 in 2018 Bristol Audio show, I should have bought that right there hehehehe.

If you liked the LCD-2, you should get one--they come up used often (at least here in the US).

But this doesn't sound like the Sony--are you just looking for more bass but good detail? If you're ok with a closed back, the E-mu Teak will do this--it's probably more similar to the Sony than the LCD-2 and doesn't need a ton of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back