Advice regarding Er-4
Jan 1, 2008 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bwv1080

Head-Fier
Hello everybody. I'm new to this site, and I've really been impressed by the level of knowledge and quality of discussion on this forum.

Anyway, from my research over the past couple of weeks, I've purchased a set of cable-less er-4p's, which I now plan on recabling with either the etymotic stock (preferably, if possible) or the Apuresound. Also, I'm in the market for a portable amp. Here's the list I've compiled:

- Xin Supermacro IV LE (w/ upgraded opamps) (would only buy Xin's used)
- IBasso T2
- Headsix
- MiniBox-E
- *your suggestion here*

So, I guess I'm simply asking for your advice on the course I should take regarding the cable and amp. I'll be listening to pretty much just J.S. Bach, so clarity is the quality of these IEM's I'd like to enhance: the switch from p to s does seem inevitable.

Thanks to everyone who cares to opine.

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 7
for er-4s i really liked the meta42 with 2 x ad8610 opamps and buf634 buffers. it was really lively sounding. i'm waiting on a headstage lyrix total which i'm going to roll with lm49720 opamp see how that goes.

i highly recommend the switch to the S version, it sounds a lot better, especially the highs.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 7
hi BWV1080 or The Art of Fugue
smily_headphones1.gif

if you got er4p, u don't really need an amp, unless you get a p to s converter. for bach er4ps are great.

cheers

HL

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 7
Xin amps are great with Ety's and were originally made with Ety's in mind. Most of them have a build in P to S swith which is great if you get a P version of the phones.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the input guys. I just bought a used Supermacro III v6 in the fs forum. Part of the reason I went for a Xin is because I don't have a p-s cable, and would rather put $65 into an amp than a cable. And MadPianist, I've always read that listening to the "s" version of the er-4 with a Xin amp further enhances their already superior clarity. The AOF will definitely be the ultimate test for this combination.
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadPianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi BWV1080 or The Art of Fugue
smily_headphones1.gif

HL

Nice ....
Didn't catch the Bach reference the first time round

Jan 3, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Also I can warmly recommend the APureSound cable but it is rather expensive

Users who are viewing this thread