Advice/Poll: Rega Planet 2000 + MG Head DT -- Good Combo?
Aug 18, 2001 at 12:11 AM Post #16 of 32
Dear Phoneprone,

I just like my equipment to have a few bells and whistles i guess... The headphone jack isn't too important but it's always nice to have one, if my tubes break suddenly or if they need some warm up time... I heard the MG Head sounds pretty terrible in its first 3 hours of warm up time.

Aug 18, 2001 at 12:16 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by evilcthul
I heard the MG Head sounds pretty terrible in its first 3 hours of warm up time.

Don't turn it off.
smily_headphones1.gif
In fact, I don't even know why they put the power switch on the front panel. It should be hidden away behind the unit, IMO.

Brian.

Aug 18, 2001 at 12:21 AM Post #18 of 32
Dear Briant,

Don't turn it off!? Hmm... I've heard about this unit's questionable build quality and considering tubes run hot I'll probably turn it off when I'm not home.

About the MG Head DT you recently got... Does it have the tube grill? In the photos it looks really ugly so I was wondering how does it size up when you see the unit in the flesh? Also what's your intial impression of the unit's build quality. I've heard of a lot of problems ranging from hum the L or R channel doesn't work etc...

Also where did you get those NOS tubes?

Aug 18, 2001 at 12:26 AM Post #19 of 32
evilcthul

I'm sorry, I don't have a scanner. A few months ago when I was in the market, I did some research on the models in my price range. I could'nt find my April 2001 (VOL. 24 NO.4) issue so I ordered a copy from Stereophile. This article is what pushed me over the edge. Sam has nothing but praise for this unit as well as the other versions he has reviewed over the past 10 or so years.

I am not saying the Planet is the best, but because it is so musical, I forget about the equipment and just listen and enjoy. That's what this whole thing is about.....isn't it?

Buy a back issue of this issue and read the article yourself. It will make your mouth water like mine did !!

Happy listening...

smily_headphones1.gif
Rick

P.S. This is a great issue to buy because it is a "recommended components" issue . The Planet 2000 in the recommended catagory B....just below the biggest boys. The A3CD isn't even on the list !!

Aug 18, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Dear Briant,

Don't turn it off!? Hmm... I've heard about this unit's questionable build quality and considering tubes run hot I'll probably turn it off when I'm not home.

About the MG Head DT you recently got... Does it have the tube grill? In the photos it looks really ugly so I was wondering how does it size up when you see the unit in the flesh? Also what's your intial impression of the unit's build quality. I've heard of a lot of problems ranging from hum the L or R channel doesn't work etc...

Also where did you get those NOS tubes?

Tube equipment is best left ON. Minimize your hot/cold power cycles.

I have no quips with the build quality at all. In fact, I consider it to be very well built. The sound speaks for itself though.

The tube cage is a little ugly. But with the tubes I have in there, I don't want to risk any breaking. Besides, form follows function IMO. And as for the NOS tubes, I've been collecting them for years from places like HAM radio swap meets, electronics junk stores, and yes even Ebay.

Brian.

Aug 18, 2001 at 1:14 AM Post #21 of 32
Oh and BTW, I'm currently uploading pictures of all my headphone equipment. You'll prolly be able to get a better idea of how it looks from these pics than from the others I've seen. And I can take as many more as you want with my digicam...
smily_headphones1.gif

Brian.

Aug 18, 2001 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 32
Dear Brian,

Can you take a shot of the back of the amp and a good shot of the tube cover? Also, if possible could you put something else in the picture for size comparison? I'm getting the idea that the MG Head DT is about as big as a shoe box from the pictures I've seen. Looks like a black shoe box with 3 tubes and towers...

Aug 18, 2001 at 1:20 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Dear Brian,

Can you take a shot of the back of the amp and a good shot of the tube cover? Also, if possible could you put something else in the picture for size comparison? I'm getting the idea that the MG Head DT is about as big as a shoe box from the pictures I've seen. Looks like a black shoe box with 3 tubes and towers...

The pictures I'm currently uploading show it with and without the tube cage. There is nothing for size comparison, but it is more like 1/2 the size of a shoe box. On Monday, when I go back to work, I will take more pictures of the cage and put something in a few shots to show you the size...

Look for a new thread by me in the equipment forum, once the pics are there this evening.

Brian.

Aug 18, 2001 at 1:27 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Dear Brian,

OK, the pics are there. They aren't very good, and I'll take more next week. But for now, you can check them out. The URL is listed in a new thread.

Brian.

Aug 18, 2001 at 2:16 AM Post #29 of 32
Phoneprone,

Can you look up the MAX power consumption of the Rega Planet 2000. I'm trying to find the wattage for the unit as I'm planning to purchase a power conditioner.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back