Advice/Poll: Rega Planet 2000 + MG Head DT -- Good Combo?
Aug 17, 2001 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

evilcthul

100+ Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fizers,

I've been offered a Rega Planet 2000 at a great price but unfortunately I won't be able to audition it. I'm already set on purchasing the MG Head DT because that will probably be what I can afford for the time being plus I like the option of tube rolling in the future.

Therefore, I'd like to ask if anyone here has had experience with the Rega Planet 2000. Do you think this combined with the MG Head DT would make a good combo?

I've heard that the Planet sounds musical but lacks detail. I don't want a system that sacrifices too much detail. I want to keep the music articulate with subtle detail whilst not sacrificing musicality. I'm not extremely fussy when it comes to detail.

Please also post your thoughts regarding the Rega Planet 2000 and any headphones you may have auditioned it with.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

PS: Would I be correct in saying the Rega Planet 2000 has no headphone socket? From the pictures it looks like it has none...

Aug 17, 2001 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 32
evilcthul,

I haven't listened to either the Planet nor the MG Head. But the criticism about lack of detail from the Planet might come from reviewers who have different criteria and preferences than you - or me. I for one become interested in a component as soon as some reviewer claims that it sacrifices analytical detail for involving musicality. Don't we want to listen to music? And if "musical" is a fitting attribute for a component, this can only mean one thing: That it manages to convey music with the whole of its sonic properties. In the final analysis, that's all one can ask for. Even audiophiles ought to be in it for the enjoyment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2001 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 32
Planet lacks detail? That's a ridiculous statement in absolute terms. Perhaps it lacks detail relative to a Theta Data Transport or Levinson, or Krell, or..... You get the idea.

I have the orginal Planet, not the 2000 model. I can tell you without hesitation that it does not lack detail in comparison to any other "real world" player I've ever owned. In comparison to my work system, comprised of the Cambridge CD500SE, it is just more everything... More open, more detailed, more musical, more precise, more period.

Now, my father has the Theta Data transport, and yeah, the Planet isn't a match, but it is also a couple thousand dollars cheaper too.

I should try the Planet with my MG Head (which has now arrived). I hadn't thought of doing that, as it would require some effort. The Planet is at home, the MG Head is at work, etc... We'll see.

Just my $0.02.

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Planet lacks detail? That's a ridiculous statement in absolute terms. Perhaps it lacks detail relative to a Theta Data Transport or Levinson, or Krell, or..... You get the idea.

I've read the same thing about the Planet2000 when compared to the M.F. A3CD. Which, as you said, doesn't mean the Rega lacks detail in absolute terms, but compared to another CDP at the same price point.

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 32
This A3CD thing may be something to look at... Everywhere I turn I hear it mentioned. I just hope the comparisons are apples to apples rather than A3CD with silver interconnects and Planet 2000 with AQ type 4...
wink.gif
But actually, though, I wouldn't want to lay down near $1k on anything right now with a new format on the horizon. It seems to make sense to wait for the DVD-A / SACD debacle to sort itself out. On the otherhand, my next logical step might actually be a transport and DAC as opposed to yet another CDP... *sigh*

Brian.

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 32
MacDEF,

Am I missing something? Are the A3CD and Planet 2000 at the same price point in the US? In Australia (AUD) they're:

$1550 - Rega Planet 2000
$2299 - A3CD

That's $775USD and $1149.5 USD.

I actually considered getting the A3CD but paying over $2000 is out of my budget.

Have you tried the A3CD vs Rega Planet? Is it really that much better?

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 32
Dear Briant,

SACD vs DVD-A my two cents...

Even if SACD or DVD-A emerges as the victor what difference will it really make to you? I'm sure you like others and myself probably own hundreds of CDs and I like CDA the quality is good enough and CDs are plentiful. The majority of my music is on CD anyway.

The range of SACDs at the moment seems to be as big as the range of prerecorded Minidiscs (at least in AU). I think CD players will at least give you five more years of good use at bare minimum...

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 32
evilcthul:

As I mentiones, this is only something I've read. However, I also talked to Stereophile's Sam Tellig and cornered him with this question
smily_headphones1.gif
He basically felt that the A3CD is the best CDP you can get up until the Rega Jupiter. He felt that the Rega Planet 2000 wasn't as good as the A3CD.

As for the price, the list for the A3CD in the U.S. is $995, and Audio Advisor regularly has demo models for $845. The Rega Planet 2000 sells for around $950 in the U.S.

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 32
I'm leaning toward the Rega as I can't really afford the A3CD... That's so strange that the Planet 2000 is cheaper here than in the US...

Briant, does the Planet 2000 have a headphone socket? Also, if you ever get the MG Head DT and Planet Combo working give me a buzz...

PS: What interconnects are you using on your MG Head

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by evilcthul
I'm leaning toward the Rega as I can't really afford the A3CD... That's so strange that the Planet 2000 is cheaper here than in the US...

Briant, does the Planet 2000 have a headphone socket? Also, if you ever get the MG Head DT and Planet Combo working give me a buzz...

PS: What interconnects are you using on your MG Head

The Planet 2000 is a very musical beast. Sure you can always say there's something better. Somewhere, for most people, the line has to be drawn, and the price discrepancy between it and the A3CD in your neck of the woods seems more significant than here. The Planet 2000 is available from a few sources already for $750 here, though.

I don't have the Planet 2000, just the lowly original Planet. So I'm not sure if there is a headphone jack or not. I believe not, though.

As for interconnects, I am using solid silver. They are called SilverCat and are made by Cat Cables. http://www.catcables.com

Brian.

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Dear Briant,

SACD vs DVD-A my two cents...

Even if SACD or DVD-A emerges as the victor what difference will it really make to you? I'm sure you like others and myself probably own hundreds of CDs and I like CDA the quality is good enough and CDs are plentiful. The majority of my music is on CD anyway.

The range of SACDs at the moment seems to be as big as the range of prerecorded Minidiscs (at least in AU). I think CD players will at least give you five more years of good use at bare minimum...

Yeah. I guess my problem is that nothing is ever "good enough."
smily_headphones1.gif
But in particular, 16 bits has never struck me as enough. Maybe that's because I'm an engineer. I don't know. In any event I'd really like to see a backwards compatible format evolve. And I don't think there's any talk of either of the above mentioned 2 phasing out standard CD, anyhow.

It's kind of like TV. I want a new TV for the family room, but don't want to make a purchase until HDTV either becomes more entrenched and less expensive, or dies out completely. And I'm just not sure which will happen.

Brian.

Aug 17, 2001 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 32
evilcthul

I purchased a Rega Planet 2000 a few months ago and have never looked back. I read Sam Tellig every month and have for years. He puts the Planet on the short list of the "best" in this price range. I will not pick apart the attributes of this CDP other than to say that I have never....repeat, never had any problems with a lack of resolution or any other artifact with this player.

From the moment I turned it on, it was nothing but sweet and musical. Thats the key word-musical. In the words of Sam Tellig (April 2001) it boogies. The A3CD isn't even among the CDPs he compares it to. Read it for yourself.

I recommend the Planet without reservation.

Happy listening....
smily_headphones1.gif

Rick

Aug 17, 2001 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 32
Phoneprone,

Would you happen to have a scanner? Could you possibly scan this article in? I'd like to take a look at it.

At the Stereophile.com website I found:

"Sam's Space
Sam Tellig gets cosy with the inexpensive and good-sounding Rega Planet 2000 CD player, Rega Mira integrated amplifier, Creek 535SE integrated amplifier, and the Rega Jura loudspeaker."

That's about it...

Aug 18, 2001 at 12:08 AM Post #15 of 32
I have the article. I can scan it, but not until next week.

Quote:

Phoneprone,

Would you happen to have a scanner? Could you possibly scan this article in? I'd like to take a look at it.

At the Stereophile.com website I found:

"Sam's Space
Sam Tellig gets cosy with the inexpensive and good-sounding Rega Planet 2000 CD player, Rega Mira integrated amplifier, Creek 535SE integrated amplifier, and the Rega Jura loudspeaker."

That's about it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back