Advice on start Amp/Dac or just amp for DT880 250 Pros
Sep 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

techtomas

New Head-Fier
I've been doing a lot of reading on various Amps & Amp/Dacs that people have used with the D880/990 250ohm cans.

My main use is listening to music from my macbook air (2012) in my home office. I tried the Fiio E17 through USB but I couldn't tell a difference (My music is mainly 256kbps - so that could be part of it, and I'm also new to the world of nicer headphones). I love the look of the E17 but since my use will be almost exclusively at my desk I started to look at the Desktop amp & amp/dacs out there.

I really like the look (and read some good reviews) about the Schiit Magni/Modi and also the Schiit Asgard 2. And I've also read some that say the DAC in recent Macs is above average for built-in computer DACs

So my question is as a starting point in the world of Headphones and with a budget around $250 would a better first step be

1. Get the Magni/Modi combo so I start off with a decent Amp/Dac
2. Get just the Asgard 2 so I have a good amp fed by the macbook air and get a dedicated DAC later on when $ permits

I can see myself getting additional headphones at some point but my guess would be that won't be anytime soon so I want to make the most of what I have, but also be in a good spot to expand.

Look forward to any recommendations or suggestions.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 4
I am going to guide you to another thread that addresses a similar issue:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681210/help-me-choose-what-is-the-most-value-for-money#post_9814864

The poster wants to know what would be the best piece of gear to improve his sound.  I replied with a lengthy post that I think you will find helpful.  Take a look.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 4
  I've been doing a lot of reading on various Amps & Amp/Dacs that people have used with the D880/990 250ohm cans.

My main use is listening to music from my Macbook air (2012) in my home office. I tried the Fiio E17 through USB but I couldn't tell a difference (My music is mainly 256kbps -

It might be a long shot.
Try connecting the Mac to the E17 using optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back