Advice on IEM (Klipsch, Super.Fi,...)
Mar 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hoderlin

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I want to buy some new IEM, but i'm finding it difficult to choose between so many options.

I currently own a Creative EP-630, but I want some better isolation and comfort (I use to listen several hours in a row).

I had a pair of Etymotic ER6I, but I found that the triple flanges are uncomfortable, I think they press too hard on the canal. Nonetheless, they are useless now (broken cord).

I listen to a lot of classical music, indie/rock and audiobooks.

I was considering the new Klipsch Image, but they are expensive, and I don't have found a really useful review, comparing them with other IEM. I was also considering the UE super.fi 5 pro, but I was hoping to avoid the "over the ear" thing with the cord.

If you could guide me, it would be very helpful!

Thanks for your time!

Daniel.

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 19
Welcome to Head-fi . . . sorry about your wallet!

It would help if you let us know what type of music you listen, what kind of sound you prefer (musical, analytical), whether you like bass or a flat sound, BUDGET, etc.

The EP-630 and Etymotic ER6i are a very different sound (boomy bass vs analytical)

I fell in love with my Denon Ah-C700. They have been my go to canal phones for a while now. Check out the http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off...ssions-254224/ thread.

Denon AH-C700 $169.74

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the quick reply!

I listen to a lot of classical music like Beethoven, Brahms... But I also like Radiohead and other Indie music bands. I also like some psytrance and ambient (like Shpongle, Ott, and others).

So, I think I'm very eclectic in music tastes. I think that the main thing that I look forward is isolation and comfort! I got seduced by the Klipsch Image because they are so small, but I could not get the proper feedback (tecnical) from my favorite source: head-fi!

I will look at the Denon's to see what I like.

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 19
Your basic options here are:

Klipsch Image (excellent but expensive)
Denon C700 (good all rounders but some claim harsh with boomy bass, great value for the money)
Futuresonics Atrio M5 (same as C700s but more relaxed or recessed mids)
Q-Jays (Another good all-around headphone, haven't heard much bad about them)
Shure 300/400 lines (very comfortable but perhaps overpriced with a focus on the low end)
UE Super Fi.5 Pro (recessed mids but extremely moddable with the Westone ES cable)

There is a link in my profile to the Denon's if you want to read a bit about my impressions of them.

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 19
I will throw in my obligatory recommendation of the Sleek SA6. If you are willing to possibly spend enough for the Klipsch Image, I'd strongly suggest that $250 for the SA6 is a no-brainer. IMO, the SA6 is the universal IEM to beat. Nothing I've heard short of custom is better than the SA6, including the Triple.Fi, Shure SE530 and the Klipsch Custom 3.

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 19
The Klipsch Image are really hard to beat. They are expensive but there have been some sales on them. Also Klipsch does have a 30 day money back guarantee from their website. They are very comfortable and fit your requirement for nothing over the ear.

I find the Klipsch Custom 3 to be really awesome but I can't compare them to anything else on the list because I haven't tried them. The problem is they are over the ear but I used to use Shure E2C and hated they way they went over ear, but no problems with the Custom 3. However others seem to have a problem with fit on the Custom 3 so maybe I'm lucky.

Again, I can't comment on the other ones on your list but Klipsch seems to do an excellent job with the treble. That isn't to say that bass is bad but I found myself with goosebumps for some some songs that featured some clear vocals.

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will throw in my obligatory recommendation of the Sleek SA6. If you are willing to possibly spend enough for the Klipsch Image, I'd strongly suggest that $250 for the SA6 is a no-brainer. IMO, the SA6 is the universal IEM to beat. Nothing I've heard short of custom is better than the SA6, including the Triple.Fi, Shure SE530 and the Klipsch Custom 3.

i love the idea of being able to choose the sound signature of earphones but its a little like buying a car, you kinda hope the professionals would decide what sounds best, but hey if the driver is a good one and generally performs good then maybe your right the actual choice to tune the housing could be a huge one and may well be something to beat in the near future.

i have never heard the sa6 so i am simply picking at straws, but... the fact you can choose the bass power by swapping out ports seems a little slack.

by this i mean, we all know subwoofers are designed with ports to boost the booming sound, closed boxes usually sound tighter. so would it be fair to say the sa6 is just giving you the option to make the bass boomier rather than deeper and better quality?? what do you guys think?

i am considering the sa6's myself, just as some play thing to mess with while listening but is it really up there with the best of them?

to the o.p, check out the um1's (westone)

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 19
Thanks for all the useful comments!

I agree with jinx20001, I don't think that SA6 are the best earphones to me at this time -- too advanced for me -- and I find it difficult to see any shops shipping to Portugal.

I really just want some nice, discreet earphone to ear music in a decent way. I want an earphone easy to put and remove (not the pulling the ear, licking the thing, kinda thing), which provides at the same time decent isolation.

Nevertheless, thanks for all the inputs!

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have never heard the sa6 so i am simply picking at straws, but... the fact you can choose the bass power by swapping out ports seems a little slack.

by this i mean, we all know subwoofers are designed with ports to boost the booming sound, closed boxes usually sound tighter. so would it be fair to say the sa6 is just giving you the option to make the bass boomier rather than deeper and better quality?? what do you guys think?

I think you're wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am considering the sa6's myself, just as some play thing to mess with while listening but is it really up there with the best of them?

Yes it is.

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're wrong.

Yes it is.

thanks for being straightforward. i dont know like i said i havnt listened to them. what do you think im wrong about tho? the subs?

i was taught that subs are usually boomier but deeper when ported or bandpassed but still not as tight as a closed design, does this not carry over to headphone world?

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoderlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with jinx20001, I don't think that SA6 are the best earphones to me at this time -- too advanced for me -- and I find it difficult to see any shops shipping to Portugal.

There's nothing terribly advanced about using the SA6's, 4 treble tubes and 3 bass ports that allow you to fine tune the sound to your personal preference, for most people once you find what works that's what you'll probably stick with. And contrary to what jinx20001 might think, IMO the system works very well.

Sound Earphones carries Sleek Audio among other brands and I believe they ship worldwide as well.

I can't back up the claim that they're the universal IEM to beat because I haven't heard the Triple-Fi's but I can say I feel the SA6's are easily in the same league as the E500's and Etymotic ER4's.

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's nothing terribly advanced about using the SA6's, 4 treble tubes and 3 bass ports that allow you to fine tune the sound to your personal preference, for most people once you find what works that's what you'll probably stick with. And contrary to what jinx20001 might think, IMO the system works very well.

Sound Earphones carries Sleek Audio among other brands and I believe they ship worldwide as well.

I can't back up the claim that they're the universal IEM to beat because I haven't heard the Triple-Fi's but I can say I feel the SA6's are easily in the same league as the E500's and Etymotic ER4's.

go easy, i wasnt saying the sa6 is bad, i was asking you guys if it is? lol i just said that in theory you would want the pros to decide what is the definitive sound, but i was asking wether the sa6 has nailed it for customisation. I mean, who needs EQ anymore if the sa6 is the new and improved

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 19
How about the Q-Jays? Are they better than the Westone UM1?

Honestly about the SA6, i'm a little afraid that they are too much for my ears. I'm afraid that I can't tune them well, and end up with a lousy headphone. Do you recommend them (SA6) for a sort of beginner (in high-end earphones)?

But thanks anyway for the tip in the soundearphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back