Advice on IEM (Klipsch, Super.Fi,...)
Mar 12, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for being straightforward. i dont know like i said i havnt listened to them. what do you think im wrong about tho? the subs?

i was taught that subs are usually boomier but deeper when ported or bandpassed but still not as tight as a closed design, does this not carry over to headphone world?

No, it doesn't necessarily carry over into the headphone world.

You're speaking in pretty broad generalities. To be honest I don't have a lot of experience with subwoofers but the same rules as full range speakers should apply. Probably 90 percent or more of speakers on the market today are ported designs, going by your rationale they should all sound boomy yet that's not the case. Yes, an improperly implemented port can sound boomy but I suspect the same could be said of a sealed design as well.

When talking subs I'm going to make an assumption that a sealed box might be preferable, at least in part for placement reasons. Placing a vented design too close to wall boundaries will bring up the bass response which can result in boominess.

There's always pluses and minuses to a type of design but proper implementation both by the designer and the end user should minimize the minuses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go easy, i wasnt saying the sa6 is bad, i was asking you guys if it is? lol i just said that in theory you would want the pros to decide what is the definitive sound, but i was asking wether the sa6 has nailed it for customisation. I mean, who needs EQ anymore if the sa6 is the new and improved

Given your past behavior in other IEM threads and previous comments you made regarding the SA6's I read your comments as somewhat trollish. If you are truly interested in them you might want to go to their website where they explain some of the reasons for the modular design, I'd also suggest you try them before making assumptions on their sound.

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoderlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly about the SA6, i'm a little afraid that they are too much for my ears. I'm afraid that I can't tune them well, and end up with a lousy headphone. Do you recommend them (SA6) for a sort of beginner (in high-end earphones)?

The SA6's sound very good straight out of the box, the fact that you can fine tune them to personal preference is a bonus. There's really nothing to be afraid of any more than buying any other headphone, of course there is the possibility that you just won't like the sound which is the same thing you'll run into with any headphone, at least with the SA6's you have the opportunity to dial them in to your preference. There's really nothing to it, if you can change the tip on an IEM you can can change the tubes and ports on the SA6.

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #18 of 19
You are convincing me to them!

How about the durability? Since it's a modular earphone, it seems to be somewhat breakable (loose fits...). Is it?

Other thing, they come with different tips, or I have to buy them extra?

Mar 12, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoderlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are convincing me to them!

How about the durability? Since it's a modular earphone, it seems to be somewhat breakable (loose fits...). Is it?

Other thing, they come with different tips, or I have to buy them extra?

Well they haven't been out for very long so durability is hard to say for sure. As with any new product there is the possibility of some growing pains, I know a couple of people had issues but as far as I know they have been taken care of promptly by either Sound Earphones and/Sleek Audio themselves.

The SA6's originally came with 3 treble tubes and 3 treble ports, the 3 being +, = and - but due to some feedback from a few users here on Head-Fi Sleek has added an extra ++ treble port. New sets can be bought for around $10 I believe. The cord is also detachable and from my understanding there will be various lengths and colors available. There is also talk of wireless.

In some ways I see these as more durable than the average because the various parts can be replaced relatively cheaply. No more replacing the whole IEM just because the cord broke or cracked. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back