Advice on Cell Phone as MP3 player or dedicated source
Oct 14, 2009 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dakkar

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, here's the situation.

I'm looking for a new cell phone (current over 3y/o and dying) and at the same time my Zune 8gig is having problem with the 1/8 connector.

Reason, because I'm using custom IEM (Freq and Fidelity Audio), I found the output coming out of the zune to "loud". So in order to solve that problem, I had purchased a line out resistor that plugged into the Zune, before the IEM.

Long story short, that extra "plug" has damaged the inside of the Zune headphone connection and now the connector is cracked as well... So I can't get great sound with the resistor plugged and I can't use it without it because the regular IEM plug is loose and the player keeps pausing (b/c think unplugged). Does it make any sense?

Ok, still reading? So should I go for a cell phone/MP3 player (except Iphone, not a fan) or should I get another dedicated source. If possible with EQ so I can lower the audio output if too high.

BTW, does anyone else find the audio to loud when using IEM? I can't stand anything higher than vol 1 with resistor.

Thanks!

p.s. Listening 80% podcast so something podcast friendly is a must.

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 4
I've downgraded my portable rig to an iPhone and Etymotics HF2 headset and couldn't be happier. Sure there are better sounding rigs out there but I find that in typical commuter situations most of that better sq is lost anyway so for me this is ideal and also doubles as email, web and the kitchen sink.

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 4
It really comes down to this,
First, for better sound - carrying two things.
Second, for acceptable sound - carrying one cell phone and worrying about battery life.
I mostly go with two units - the thought of a dead cell phone bothers me.

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 4
In over a years use I have yet to exhaust a battery in less than one day. I normally have about 20% battery left when I come home at night after using about 8 hours for music play and perhaps 1-2 hours worth of phone/internet/mail usage so that is perfectly acceptable for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back