Advice on buying a first DAC/Amp combo in 40 - 600 price range (discussion)
Sep 30, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #31 of 37
I have only had the Asgard 2 and it is very nice and very powerful. I have not used the headphones you have however. The Jot was not available when I tried the Asgard.
If on a budget you really can't go wrong with Asgard 2, it's quite amazing.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #32 of 37
  Get the Schiit Modi Multibit

I can personally endorse this bit.  I have a Modi Multibit and it's been great.  I ended up pairing in with a Garage 1217 Project Ember, which can be pretty neutral with the right tube, but I suspect not as neutral as you might want.  I personally considered the Objective 2 and the Schiit Asgard 2 as good "neutral" amps before landing on Project Ember, although I can't personally attest to either as I never ended up hearing them.

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #33 of 37
  I have only had the Asgard 2 and it is very nice and very powerful. I have not used the headphones you have however. The Jot was not available when I tried the Asgard.
If on a budget you really can't go wrong with Asgard 2, it's quite amazing.

I can personally endorse this bit.  I have a Modi Multibit and it's been great.  I ended up pairing in with a Garage 1217 Project Ember, which can be pretty neutral with the right tube, but I suspect not as neutral as you might want.  I personally considered the Objective 2 and the Schiit Asgard 2 as good "neutral" amps before landing on Project Ember, although I can't personally attest to either as I never ended up hearing them.

In case Asgard 2 and Modi 2 get such favourable reviews I personally see no point in purchasing Jotunheim, the only advantage of it being balanced. If Asgard and Modi are as neutral as Jotunheim I will go for Modi+Magni or Bifrost+Asgard in case I go for Schiit combo.

UPD: Although I continuously see complaints about build quality and devices dying couple of days after arrival.
Will have to research that issue and the differences in sound in the corresponding Schiit thread.

Any recommendations regarding other products?

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #34 of 37
Guys, any other DAC & amps you'd recommend apart from Schiit products? 
frown.gif

Oct 4, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #35 of 37

Guys, any other DAC & amps you'd recommend apart from Schiit products? 
frown.gif

Schiit is recommended because of price to performance ratio and generally not needing a translator (unless you don't speak English, but then again you're in this forum now). Other products that can compete with Schiit in price to performance ratio can't match support - at minimum, support responses are slower because the competitors from China need translators, and then if you ship them for repairs, you'll pay shipping to and from China. Others that go through distributors (online or in physical locations) might not be anywhere near you either. Schiit at least has a distribution partner in Europe.

If support isn't really something that you're paranoid about, look into AudioGD, and the Matrix HPA-3A with the USB input..

If you're willing to spend a bit more, look up Meier Audio - the Jazz is under $400 (Euro residents need to pay EU VAT though), so past that you just need a DAC. Alternately, there's Violectric, but the HPA-V100 which has an optional DAC module.

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #36 of 37

Schiit is recommended because of price to performance ratio and generally not needing a translator (unless you don't speak English, but then again you're in this forum now). Other products that can compete with Schiit in price to performance ratio can't match support - at minimum, support responses are slower because the competitors from China need translators, and then if you ship them for repairs, you'll pay shipping to and from China. Others that go through distributors (online or in physical locations) might not be anywhere near you either. Schiit at least has a distribution partner in Europe.

If support isn't really something that you're paranoid about, look into AudioGD, and the Matrix HPA-3A with the USB input..

If you're willing to spend a bit more, look up Meier Audio - the Jazz is under $400 (Euro residents need to pay EU VAT though), so past that you just need a DAC. Alternately, there's Violectric, but the HPA-V100 which has an optional DAC module.

I agree that Schiit produces rather nice devices, but yes, I'm not too paranoid about the support. I hope I won't have any problems with the device I buy (sounds too optimistic, yes).

But I am taken aback by the degree of Schiit-o-philia on headfi - seems like people are not able to recommend anythig else apart from Schiit. I'd like to have something to choose from.

Meier Audio has some nice gear too, but I am horrified by their DAC prices. Aren't there any cheaper DACs?

PurpleAngel also recommended the AudioGD prducts, though I believe I can only afford NFB-11. Do you have any experience with their devices?

Thanks for the 
Violectric suggestion - that is rather a new beast for me. I did not know their amps have built-in DACs.
The only thing I did not understand - do I have only one option of digital input - whether coax, toslink or USB, or I can add several ones?

Plus, does it already contain the DAC in its base price? Because if not, HPA-V100 seems to be similar to the Jotunheim situation - the device is based on an amp (which is probably good) and a DAC is just a cheap option (which is probably bad). Or am I being too suspicious?

UPD: 
HPA-V100 with any digital input are out of the budget (850€). Sadly.

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by U6astik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I am taken aback by the degree of Schiit-o-philia on headfi - seems like people are not able to recommend anythig else apart from Schiit. I'd like to have something to choose from.

That's something I already explained - a lot of people put up low budgets and they get Schiit and AudioGD; the O2+ODAC when USB input is enough and there is no need for a preamp. They put in higher prices and they get others, but then Schiit is still in the running because they have products at higher price points or maybe it isn't necessary to blow that much money. Maybe they ask for tubes so it'll be the Gungnir vs Woo.

Quote:
Meier Audio has some nice gear too, but I am horrified by their DAC prices. Aren't there any cheaper DACs?

If anything this is what doesn't get as much attention anymore but the thing is they only have two DACs - the portable DAC-HPamp and the $600 flagship. The second tier down no longer has a USB DAC module and there are no DACs between what they have. That basically leaves buyers who aren't using, say, a CDP or music server, to order a DAC elsewhere, which even with the price of shipping included in the published prices on Meier's site, can still be considerably more expensive for those on a limited budget.

Quote:

The only thing I did not understand - do I have only one option of digital input - whether coax, toslink or USB, or I can add several ones?

Plus, does it already contain the DAC in its base price? Because if not, HPA-V100 seems to be similar to the Jotunheim situation - the device is based on an amp (which is probably good) and a DAC is just a cheap option (which is probably bad). Or am I being too suspicious?

You only get one kind of input - the module is a little bit similar to what you get on the Jotunheim. The DAC adds more to the price, like with the Jotunheim, except you get SPDIF options.

I don't understand what is "probably bad" to be "too suspicious" about. My Meier Corda Cantate.2 has a USB DAC on a daughterboard built around a PCM2702 (which other DACs only use as a USB receiver) and in terms of imaging and neutral tone it beat a lot of dedicated CDPs when I took it to a few shops. The only CDP that was as good as it was the NAD C5xx, and then the one CDP that decisively beat it was the Arcam CD72.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back