Advice on buying a first DAC/Amp combo in 40 - 600 price range (discussion)
Sep 24, 2016 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

U6astik

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys!

After being absent for more than a year I'm back to the audiophile world :)

I would like to ask for your opinion on which DAC/Amp combos I should pay attention to?

1. I am planning to use this device to power any closed headphones (that I may buy soon) and to be able to drive my HE-500 to moderate volumes while having no significant problems with distortion. Currently I am using my iBasso DX50 to drive some cheap IEMs, while HE-500 spends most of the time in the box.

1. The price range is quite vast - £40 to £600. The cheaper device means I will be able to afford it sooner.

1. I am open to any suggestions - whether it's a DAC and an amp, or a combination of both in one chassis. It could be portable or stationary.

1. Low output impedance desirable (high damping factor)

1. I would prefer a device with neutral sound - neither warm, nor bright.

1. The amp must have a 6.3 mm jack and the DAC must have both USB and coaxial inputs.

Audeze Deckard  (£600) - perfect choise in its price range? Beauty. Expensive. 
beyersmile.png

Schiit Bifrost + Asgard 2 (£600) - upgradable. Heard some people saying, that Bifrost is not much better than Modi. Nice looking. Deckard rival. 
beyersmile.png

Graham Slee Bitzie (£350) - looks funny, only USB input though 
angry_face.gif

iFi iDSD micro (£415) - nice, but rather expensive for a portable gear 
confused_face(1).gif

iFi iDSD nano (£165) - only USB input, no 6.3 mm jack 
angry_face.gif

Audio GD NFB-11 ($360 + customs?) - rather ugly, not too sure how much would it cost to bring it to UK 
confused_face(1).gif

ProJect products (£150-180) - 
confused_face(1).gif

Audiolab Q-DAC (£400) - moderate price, nice looks 
beyersmile.png

Asus Xonar Essence STU (£200) - never liked Asus, but this dedicated DAC/amp has nice inputs and is relatively cheap 
beyersmile.png

Asus Xonar Essence One (£400) - not my cup of tea in terms of looks, but seems to be as good as STU 
beyersmile.png

Musical Fidelity V90-HPA (£150-250) - only USB input 
angry_face.gif
 and 50 ohms output impedance! 
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif

Grace Design 9xx ($500 + customs?) - no coaxial input, not too sure how much would it cost to bring it to UK 
confused_face(1).gif

Teac UD-301 (£380) - nice piece of equipment, althogh not meant as a dedicated headphone amp 
confused_face(1).gif

FX Audio X6 (£60-90) - wow, that's cheap. Suspiciously cheap.
SMSL SD-793II (£40) - even cheaper. Even more suspicious.

Teac UD-503 (£700) - dedicated headphone amp, unlike UD-301, but too expensive.
Lehmann Audio Linear USB (£765) - too expensive. 
NJC amp and NJC DAC (£800) - nice British combo, too expensive.
Burson Conductor (£900) - well, I'm in love in Burson products, so maybe one day..
Violectric ($xxxx) - way too expensive.

I have noted there are plenty of interesting headphone amps on the market, but not too many headphone DAC. Why is that?

Please tell me which device would suit my needs in your perspective.
I will probably be able to audition some of devices, but would like to know your opinion first. 

Cheers!

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 37
If and when Audio-GD ships a NFB-11 to you, in the UK (total around 310 GBP or $402 USD)
Guess Audio-GD will claim a value, with the shipper, of around 75 or less GBP.
So import tax (VAT) should be low.

UK customs will see a no name electrics device, shipped from Asia, so no reason for customs question it's claimed value.

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 37
PurpleAngel,
Thanks, I didn't know Audio GD are so flexible. That is important inforamtion for me.
Do you personally have any experience with NFB-11?

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 37
  PurpleAngel,
Thanks, I didn't know Audio GD are so flexible. That is important information for me.
Do you personally have any experience with NFB-11?

Bought the NFB-15.32 about 4 years ago.
Then about 18 months ago heard that Audio-GD had planned on stop making it.
So i ordered the NFB-15, which had the latest revision and sold off the older NFB-15.32

Which in comparison, the NFB-15 is considered  warmer and more musical.
and the NFB-11 more detailed.

The NFB-15 uses dual WM8741 DAC chips, the NFB-11 use one Sabre DAC chip.

The NFB-11 is sold in France and Netherlands, for around 390 Euros.
The European retailers only covers the first 30 days, after that you would have to deal directly with Audio-GD, for any warranty service.
Better (and cheaper) just to order straight from Audio-GD.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 37
Thank you.
Any other devices, that could be on par with Audio GD products? Or outperform them?

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 37
Or any other recommendations?

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 37
I would personally go for Jotunheim + Modi Bitfrost. Then you can upgrade the dac if and when you decide or upgrade to a tube amp. The Jotunheim is very neutral and can drive anything from IEM''s to larger headphones =)

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 37
I would get a nice home stereo receiver with low imp. Most often their power is amazing and you can connect your Ibasso player to it. No need for a seperate DAC. I thought though the Ibasso already DOES have some power so what is actually the problem here? Are your headphones that hard to drive? They are if the volume doesnt get high enough.

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 37
First, let me thank all of you who posted their thoughts on my problem, I really appreciate your help :)

Now, I'll ask some questions to your answers :)

Quote:
Chord Mojo is pretty nice.

GRUMPYOLDGUY, thanks for the kind siggestion. This guy looks really funny :D
However, I have read some people posting fovourable reviews on it, but it doesn't have a 6.3 mm jack, which is crucial for me T_T

I buy xduoo xd-05 and good with it since than two days. Burson v5i on the parsel to change opamp. Heard that chord mojo pretty well but heating after some use

This beast looks like an interesting creature. bigpulco, could you share some more thoughts regarding this device?
So you have also changed the opamp to the Burson v5i? How much it cost you? Is it difficult to make? Was the audio quality bad before this change?

I would personally go for Jotunheim + Modi Bitfrost. Then you can upgrade the dac if and when you decide or upgrade to a tube amp. The Jotunheim is very neutral and can drive anything from IEM''s to larger headphones =)

Oh, so you opt for the Schiit combo? :) It's one of my favourite.
Could you please specify if you mean Modi or Bitfrost? Once again, I may not be right, but it seems some people were saying bad things about Bitfrost, when comparing it to Modi...

And also, the last time I checked the Schiit website they did haven't had any Jotunheim yet. Would you say it is a better amplifier to have than the Asgard 2? 
(Hm, judging from the price difference it has to be better)

UPD: Seems like Jotunheim is an Amp/DAC combo itself. Oistein, could you please explian me why you suggested pairing it to another "Jotunheim + Modi Bitfrost" DAC?

I would get a nice home stereo receiver with low imp. Most often their power is amazing and you can connect your Ibasso player to it. No need for a seperate DAC. I thought though the Ibasso already DOES have some power so what is actually the problem here? Are your headphones that hard to drive? They are if the volume doesnt get high enough.

Regarding stereo receiver - one of my goals is to find a product that would be designed primarily as a device t work with headphones. Of course receivers, that have a headphone output would do, but they are mainly designed to power the speakers and may sacrifice the headphone amplification layout, right? (my knowledge of electronics is negligible, pardon my incompetence if I'm saying ********)

I never liked Asus gear to be honest for their looks mainly, but I have found out that the Essence One (mk II is the latest model t my mind) ticks most of the boxes in my list. Plus it has RCA outs to power speakers if I ever care to purchase ones. Ruben123, would you say this model could act as a stereo receiver you mentioned?
11_Essence-One-MKII.png

The problem with iBasso is that it does not have a 6.3 mm output and I don't want to be restricted to the headphones having a 3.5 mm jack. 
Plus I want to believe it would be an upgrade in terms of audio quality.

Quote:

... but for a permanent home setup I think you can do better for 599. 

Oistein, what do you mean by 599?

Quote:

You can scratch that one off your list.

ProtegeMania, do you mean that the V90-HPA has a high output impedance?

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 37
First you can get the Jotunheim as a pure amp for $399, the dac is extra for $100. Second Modi has a Multibit upgrade: http://schiit.com/news/news/introducing-modi-multibit. Here are some impressions http://www.head-fi.org/t/815368/happy-as-a-pig-in-schiit-introducing-modi-multibit. Which everyone praises for it's low price compared to high performance. If you want to save some some claim the internal dac on the jotunheim is decent enough.

Since the Mojo is $599 (and very good for the price), it is natural to try to beat it in terms of performance vs price. Without a doubt it is the best portable setup, but you can argubly get a better permanent setup for the same money.

However it boils down to what you are interested in. The Jotunheim is claimed as a very neutral amp which can drive pretty much anything. I have been eyeballing the *IFI iCAN SE* ($359 / $289) myself. It has a bass option and can also drive everything. I would go for the multibit + either iFi Micro iCAN or Jotuneheim. They are about the same when considering shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back