Advice on building a computer as a source for a hifi II: Quiet PC components
Sep 10, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by HTFW
Cheez;

Well, I just spend a bundle of money in the last couple weeks doing this exact thing and researched on the 'net for hours on many great sites.

So what can I do with this monster?
-- Record/pause/skip TV & TV guide (e.g. free Tivo)
-- Watch DVD's
-- RIP all my audio CD's and vinyl to disk and use it as a big jukebox
-- View my digital camera pictures and videos
-- Listen to FM radio
-- Listen to Internet radio stations
-- Buy payperview movies on the internet.

Sounds like the sort of system I wouldn't mind building myself (though probably Linux-based). Would you mind indicating what sort of budget level we're talking about here?

Cheers,
Jonathan.

Sep 10, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by HTFW
-- Zalman 7000 series CPU cooler with fanmate set to lowest RPM. Used Arctic Silver-5 thermal paste. All copper not worth the extra $$ as it doesn't perform any better than the Al/Cu mix

Where did you find this out? If its true I will definately get the mixed sink and save some hassle and money.

Sep 10, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Where did you find this out? If its true I will definately get the mixed sink and save some hassle and money.

I'll save HTFW some trouble and post this linky.

Sep 10, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #49 of 60
Hmmm, weird that the review says it is a 7000 but shows a picture of a 6000
confused.gif

But in any case, I dont know if this really applies to me as I am planning on an AMD 64 proc: "They are essentially indistinguishable in performance with the P4-2.53 in this ambient as well."

There might be a difference between the two heatsinks when confronted with more heat [I believe the AMD 64 would be hotter]. Even if it is not hotter I plan on overclocking.

It would be nice if the AlCu is as good as the Cu since it would be a lot lighter on my board, but I'm not sure the above link has convinced me yet.

Sep 10, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #50 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Griffin
Sounds like the sort of system I wouldn't mind building myself (though probably Linux-based). Would you mind indicating what sort of budget level we're talking about here?

Cheers,
Jonathan.

Haven't added it up (kinda scared too
icon10.gif
), but I think I'm in the hole for $1800-$2000. I already had the MSDN subscription so the software was free except for WinDVD. Obviously I'm assuming you already have the stereo, TV, and cable/satellite interface.

Sep 10, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox

In addition to the link already posted, our hardware folks did in-house tests. We tested heatsinks for our systems, including both versions of the Zalman. The net cooling effect in the systems we build just didn't justify the full Cu version. Plus, the weight of that beast on your mobo is a consideration depending on how it's supported. The boxes we build are Intel P4, though, so I can't speak to AMD results.

Sep 10, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #52 of 60
Hmmm, well I think I am leaning towards the mixed sink then. I just think the all copper one looks really cool.
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

But it also looks like I will not be building a new computer for some time now as I am in the process of buying a house. Check out the thread in general discussion if you are interested.
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #53 of 60
right now i am using antec aria + biostar m7ncg + mobile xp2400 @2.11 with a 92mm panaflo running @5v. it sounds pretty quite to my ears but i have no reference to compare it to
frown.gif
the PSU fan is ok but could be somewhat quiter or better cooled with a panaflo.. alas i made a mistake of gettin me 120x120x35s instead of 120x120x25s the PSU is rigged with
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by its_cheez
My current plan is: asus k8v-deluxe mother, athlon 64bit 3200+, 1 gB ddr400 pc3200 ram, emu 1212m, thermaltake tsunami case

I just built a very similar system a week ago. Here are my specs.

Tsunami case w/ stock 2x120mm fans and 400watt PSU
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
MSI K8N Neo Platium
eVGA Geforce 6800 GT
1 GB PC3200 CAS2
160 GB Seagate ST3160827AS
Pioneer DVR 108

The system runs very quiet compared to the Athlon T-bird 1.4 GHz system I had previously built using the Swiftch MC462-Rev1 heatsink/fan combo. That thing was LOUD...also weighed a ton.

Anyways, the new system, at the front of the case, is around 60dB. Not bad considering I'm using the retail heatsink fan combo. The powersupply could be quieter but the stock Thermaltake PSU is not too bad. The 120mm fans are quiet. If you go smaller than that you may have to run your fans at a higher RPM to get the same about of CFM. That could result in more noise.

Sep 11, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #55 of 60
60dB ?? Just to put this into perspective

From some article on the WEB:
The quietest car I’ve measured, the Lexus LS 430, measures 69 dB . . . at full throttle. The car also measures about 40 dB at idle and 65 dB while cruising at 65 mph

Quiet room in domestic setting <30db. Office space ~35-45db depending on air condition and other equipment.

If you listen to moderate levels with speakers that would probably be around 75db. With 60db noise floor this is not too much headroom.

Cheers

Thomas

Sep 12, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #56 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
Some of the best quiet fans are made by Panaflo. For 80mm fans, the Panaflo L1a is definitely the way to go. However, I suggest you for a case that uses either 92mm or 120mm fans. Larger fans can push more air at lower rpms (and noise levels) The same goes for your cpu cooler. Thermalright makes some of the best air cooling heatsinks, and the newer models usually use 90mm fans. For budget power supplies, Fortron (or sparkle, same psu) has stable power supplies using 120mm fans. As for hard drives, Seagate makes some of the quietest around, and comes with a 5 year warranty, which is far longer than other desktop hard drive manufacturers.

just to let you know there are much better fans than panaflos.

nidec beta 120 are dead silent, and mechronics 80mm are among the best.

but be aware just because the stupid fan doesn't make noise, the moving air sure does.

Sep 12, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #57 of 60
I find that most fans - regardless of brand - runs very quiet below 1800 rpm. So, the trick is to find or make one that runs slowly. There are quite a lot of net articles on 7volt, resistor and diode mods or you can just buy an off-the-shelf fan controller.

Next consideration would be the "noise-to-airflow ratio". At slow speeds, the smaller fans are quite bad in pushing the air. I always try to select fans bigger than 80mm when running very slow.

Obstructions immediately before and after the blades really affect the airflow and noise. General rule of thumb, flowing air do not like to turn nor get contraint into a smaller space.

Another consideration (albeit less important) is the type of mechanical whine a fan makes. Ball-bearing fans make a slightly different sound from sleeve-bearing. Some fan manufacturers (eg: Papst) produce fans which "whines" at a lower frequency than other fans. I prefer the lower octave whooshing sound of the Papst compared others fans at about the same decibel, but that's just a personal preference.

Sep 13, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
60dB ?? Just to put this into perspective

From some article on the WEB:
The quietest car I’ve measured, the Lexus LS 430, measures 69 dB . . . at full throttle. The car also measures about 40 dB at idle and 65 dB while cruising at 65 mph

Quiet room in domestic setting <30db. Office space ~35-45db depending on air condition and other equipment.

If you listen to moderate levels with speakers that would probably be around 75db. With 60db noise floor this is not too much headroom.

Cheers

Thomas

60dB at the front of the case about an inch away about 4 inches from the 120mm fan. I'll take some more measurements at listening height.

Edit: At listening height, its 52dB - about 3 feet from puter

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #59 of 60
My HTPC is going down the crapper. Looks like the mobo is toast.

It barely powers up. I know the caps are probably shot, and I don't feel like replacing all of them.

So I will be building a new PC. This time, I am seriously thinking going water cooled, with a Zalman Reserator.

-Ed

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
My HTPC is going down the crapper. Looks like the mobo is toast.

It barely powers up. I know the caps are probably shot, and I don't feel like replacing all of them.

So I will be building a new PC. This time, I am seriously thinking going water cooled, with a Zalman Reserator.

-Ed

Ouch! This is seperate from your mini-me, which you replaced all the caps on, right? It'll be interesting to see what you cook up for your next HTPC (no pun intended).
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back