Advice on building a computer as a source for a hifi II: Quiet PC components
Sep 8, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Replace the stock CPU fan with a Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu.
- I'd use the all copper one instead, but they are pretty much the same

The all copper version is so heavy it can tear the socket off the motherboard under certain conditions. I suggest going with the AlCu version.

Sep 8, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
The all copper version is so heavy it can tear the socket off the motherboard under certain conditions. I suggest going with the AlCu version.

what conditions? I've never heard of that... now I'm scared
eek.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #33 of 60
I hate to get specific because this is not my area of expertise, however, I was warned by a senior technician at Central Computer that with some processors (probably AMD since they have weaker mounting structures, but I'm only guessing) and some motherboards, when oriented in a direction that causes the heat sink to function as a lever arm, and especially if the computer is transported and suffers from mechanical jarring, the socket may be torn off or irreparably damaged.

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #34 of 60
the copper version's weight is out of specifications, other words, its overweight of what AMD/Intel recommends for a heatsink.

motherboard manufacturers build their boards, as well as CPU socket to AMD/Intel standards.. so its not officially supported and the CPU socket was not build nor designed to accomodate an overweight heatsink. so don't go screaming if it does get torn off
icon10.gif

of course, it doesnt necessary mean it will tear off..just a risk.

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
If your motherboard has a 40mm fan on the Northbridge, replace it with a fanless Northbridge cooler.
- good call here, those are much better than the noisy little fans that come with a lot of motherboards

no need to replace it with a fanless NB cooler, most of the time, just disabling the fan would do. most northbridges doesnt get that hot if you do not overclock the FSB.

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #36 of 60
If you move your computer very often or subject it to more vigorous movement than usual (transported via car, for example), then it might be a good idea to remove it first. But if you're like most people and just leave your computer in one place most of the time, the 7000Cu will be fine. I have one, though I did consider replacing it with a Thermalright SP-94 with a SilenX fan at one point (better cooling performance).

But water-cooling is where it's going.
smily_headphones1.gif

~KS

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #37 of 60
Hmmm, something to think about then... maybe I'll go for one of those new crazy heatpipe TT coolers instead
confused.gif

as for the northbridge sink... good to know, but at $5 for the zalman you cant go wrong

I dont think it is really necissary to replace the fan in the zalman sink... it likely uses a silenx fan anyways as silenx sells all the zalman stuff on their site
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #38 of 60
crazy heatpipe Tt even worse, but hey, it's not mounted on the socket anymore, it's mouted using four screws going through the board, I wouldn't be worried about it, much better than some lighter sinks mounted directly on socket..

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
crazy heatpipe Tt even worse, but hey, it's not mounted on the socket anymore, it's mouted using four screws going through the board, I wouldn't be worried about it, much better than some lighter sinks mounted directly on socket..

would be hilarious if the overweight sink actually warps the whole motherboard..
icon10.gif
hey hey, crazy things do happen

Sep 9, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
I've seen heatsinks that go along the entire length of the motherboard -- they are MONSTERS, I tell you!

Like this one?
biggrin.gif

For a "quiet" stock case I would recommend Nexus Breeze. Just need to dampen HD's so that they won't resonate. However, depending on the location of the CPU socket, some heatsinks may or may not fit. There is little room between the PSU and mobo's top end. Heat dissipation is pretty good considering that the PSU functions as the only exhaust fan. Using these parts...

2400+ w/ AX-7
R9700NP
160GB Samsung SP180

... CPU is between 50-52C idle, 54-57C under load, and system stays between 34-37C at all times.

The only problem with this case is that you don't get much room to work with, but it hasn't been a problem considering my rather minimalist setup.

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Like this one?
biggrin.gif

For a "quiet" stock case I would recommend Nexus Breeze. Just need to dampen HD's so that they won't resonate. However, depending on the location of the CPU socket, some heatsinks may or may not fit. There is little room between the PSU and mobo's top end. Heat dissipation is pretty good considering that the PSU functions as the only exhaust fan. Using these parts...

2400+ w/ AX-7
R9700NP
160GB Samsung SP180

... CPU is between 50-52C idle, 54-57C under load, and system stays between 34-37C at all times.

The only problem with this case is that you don't get much room to work with, but it hasn't been a problem considering my rather minimalist setup.

Haha nice heatsink, ThermalRight has the XP-90 now which is a little more forgiving for space taken up on your motherboard. I still wouldn't imagine using such a monsterous contraption, when you go that nuts it's definately time to move to exotic cooling methods other than air.

That case looks pretty cool as far as pre-built silent PC cases go! I am using Acousticase C6607 for my gaming rig in my bedroom...

P4 2.4C@3.2GHz (1.65v)
Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro Vivo (flashed to XT)
2x 120GB Samsung SP1213C

CPU is between 33-36c idle, 38-42c load. Case temps sits around 28-33c depending on room temp. I'm using a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu, a Papst and a Nexus fan. (haha go figure) Using a pile of crap Antec TruePower 550 supply in it though... which is admittedly the loudest thing in my case (didn't bother replacing the stock fan) Soon to be replaced with my new love, the OCZ PowerStream.

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Like this one?
biggrin.gif

2400+ w/ AX-7
R9700NP
160GB Samsung SP180

That's the one!

My jaw dropped when I saw it, it's monstrous isn't it?

Case airflow is a very important consideration here too -- you need to tidy up the wires and make sure there's a scheme that you adhere to.

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Like this one?
biggrin.gif

lol, that would be the aformentioned 'crazy heatpipe TT'... and actually, after looking at its specs, it is about the same weight as the zalman copper/aluminum sink and not the pure copper one... so it might not be too heavy
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: oops... its not the same one I was talking about earlier... but hey, another option
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #45 of 60
Cheez;

Well, I just spend a bundle of money in the last couple weeks doing this exact thing and researched on the 'net for hours on many great sites. To answer your questions I'll just tell you what I did:

-- Intel D865 Mobo with P4 2.5GHz CPU and 1GB RAM. Passive northbridge heatsink. Consider whether you can live without a 3.0 GHz or higher CPU as they generate more heat so need more fans, and thus more noise.
-- Zalman 7000 series CPU cooler with fanmate set to lowest RPM. Used Arctic Silver-5 thermal paste. All copper not worth the extra $$ as it doesn't perform any better than the Al/Cu mix
-- Silverstone LC01 case. Sexy, plenty of room and cool. Fits in most audio racks/centers. Removed stock 80mm case fan and replaced with 80mm Acoustifan with thermistor running at lowwww RPM's.
--350W Seasonic Tornado PS. Get a 120mm fan PS. Also since you'll be leaving this on all the time spend a few bucks more and get active power correction to save your electricity bills and reduce the load on your circuits.
-- ATI Radeon 9600SE video card... no fan, just passive heatsink. If you don't need a gaming card you don't need a more powerful card with a fan. Connected to my TV using ATI's component output dongle.
-- Hauppauge PVR-250MCE TV/FM card connected via SVideo to my satellite TV receiver.
-- E-MU 0404 Soundcard (thanks to the recommendations on head-fi.org!!!!!!!!!) connected to my Adcom pre/amp and KEF speakers via analog out.
-- D-Link Wireless Ethernet adapter connected to the internet via DSL.
-- 2x200GB Seagate Barracuda drives... still the quietest drive out there.
-- Lite-On combo DVD-ROM,CD/CDRW drive.
-- Phillips Microsoft Media Center remote with USB IR receiver/blaster. (blaster controls satellite TV receiver)
-- Antec noise killer gasket kit.
-- APC BackUPS350... if you want reliability, use a UPS.
-- Windows XP Media Center 2004 OS with Service Pack 2. Also using WinDVD MPEG codecs for DVD playback

Whew! Glad that's over with. This beast is installed in my entertainment center behind glass doors and runs 24x7. The back of the entertainment center is open to allow the case/PS fans to push air out. I have turned on all the power saving features on the motherboard BIOS and in Windows. It runs very cool, around 38C CPU temp. at the hottest, looks great, and is quiettttt! I'm very happy with how it turned out.

So what can I do with this monster?
-- Record/pause/skip TV & TV guide (e.g. free Tivo)
-- Watch DVD's
-- RIP all my audio CD's and vinyl to disk and use it as a big jukebox
-- View my digital camera pictures and videos
-- Listen to FM radio
-- Listen to Internet radio stations
-- Buy payperview movies on the internet.

Where will I go with it in the future?
-- Upgrade to use HDTV
-- Upgrade my stereo and use SPDIF/ASIO for better quality.
-- ???

Have fun;
SteveO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back