Advice on AudioEngine A5 Computer Setup
Jun 14, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #16 of 18
Well like I said the difference between "good" amps is usually pretty subtle.  More power will let you go louder before distortion creeps in (or worse clipping) and better bass reproduction where the speaker impedance drops (high current draw) but at moderate volumes a more powerful (all things being equal) won't really benefit you much.

The preamp though will make a difference at all volumes since the signal is always being stepped up or down so my bet is the difference in quality was probably more due to the pre-amp rather than the amp. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #17 of 18
I suggest you consider an Audio-GD Compass. I have my TT run through a Cambridge Audio 540P into the Compass' analog input, one computer into the Coax in and one into the Optical in. I use the Audioengine A5's and the S8 sub in my living room and HD 650/595 phones for private listening . The Compass is an excellent sounding and very flexible DAC/Amp combo!  Do some research on it, I believe there's one in the for sale section for $250.

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #18 of 18
Thanks, but I think that the compass was sold before I could PM the seller.  I'm in no rush to buy a new amp just yet, so I will keep my eyes open for similar solutions—good to know they exist though.  I did return the A5s but I could pick up another pair if I find a suitable controller before I find an amp that I like.

thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back