Advice on $220 and lower 'phones please
Jun 7, 2010 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

NewDuke

New Head-Fier
My old bottom of the range Sony MDRs are falling apart and I need to invest in new headpones. They were suprisingly great for $80 (if rather heavy on the bass as expected) but I'm ready for a modest upgrade. I'm a bit lost tbh and have no stores near me wear I can try before I buy, so would appreciate some input from the experts. My requirements are:

Budget: No more than $250/£160, less would be great.
Type: Full size and closed, I don't mind looking like an astronaut. No 'supra' or IEMs thanks.
Preferably no more that 150ohm as I don't have a great amp... yet.
Pads: Not leather. My stubble shredded my MDRs.
Comfy, padded headband
Music: Mainly metal and hard rock, but also jazz and light classical (Mendelsohn etc).
Sound: I'd rather the headphone had a fairly neutral sound as I don't mind adding bass through EQs depending on the music.

Will only be used when I commute on the metro/walking with a Sony X1050 (with Line-Out mod), as I use wireless Sennheisers at home (yeah the sound signal sucks but they are practical when working on my car). I'm currently using a Fiio E5 until I get phones that help justify a better amp.

Hope that's enough info, I'd appreciate any positive input.

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 15
ATH M50, Beyer DT250 might fit most of your description :)

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 15
Have you considered the HD 448? They're closed, circumaural cans with impedance of 32 ohms and a detailed SQ. They should also cost less than your budget. The only feature not fitting your requirements would be their leatherette pads.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by earerror  
" The grado SR225i can be a good choice. They can work even with your Fiio e5...they dont really need an amp. "

That's not what the OP is looking for. Grados would be terrible for commuting, they're open and sit on most people's ears. BTW, I love the 225. But I'll recommend based on the criteria you actually set forth.
The Shure 840 seems to fit your needs most.

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 15
Cheers for all the feedback, though I'll have to rule out any open cans as I commute on the noisiest metro line on the planet (seriously, it's almost deafening even inside the carriage).

Am leaning towards the Shure 840 and the DT 250s because they seem to have replaceable pads, which solves the 'stubble destruction' problem. But the low price of the HD 448 makes them tempting. I'll do more on research on all three but at least now I know which headphones to focus on. Thanks again.

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 15
The AKG K702 and the DT880 (32 or 250ohm versions) can be had in that price range. For your tastes, the DT880 is probably a better fit.

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg  
" The AKG K702 and the DT880 (32 or 250ohm versions) can be had in that price range. For your tastes, the DT880 is probably a better fit."

I'm not sure how well those 'phone would be for commuting since they're open (semi open) headphones.. Also, I know the 70x needs a good amp to drive it. I don't know from experience how well the DT880/250 is out of a DAP, but my guess is they need a proper amp also.

the Shure 840 is said (I don't have one yet but will, hopefully soon) to be neutral. And, of course, is closed and more suitable for the noisy environments of a daily commute.

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 15
Oops! I had completely missed the part about you needing these for portability. Nevermind my suggestions, then!

Have you considered a good pair of IEMS like Westone?

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 15
Know you said no supra aural 'phones but if you change your mind check out hd 25 1 (velour pads) they are very good with hard rock, metal ,fast, punchy, balanced and they weight 150g  vs shure 400-500g.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Oops! I had completely missed the part about you needing these for portability. Nevermind my suggestions, then!

Have you considered a good pair of IEMS like Westone?

Thanks though, any suggestions are welcome, especially as there are brands that I'd not encountered yet.

Having said that I'm going to steer clear of IEMs, I've had a few pairs now and personally can't get used to the sensation. Plus they always seem to get dirty after a few uses despite cleaning my ears regularly. (Sorry, I know that was too much info
normal_smile .gif
)

Quote:
Know you said no supra aural 'phones but if you change your mind check out hd 25 1 (velour pads) they are very good with hard rock, metal ,fast, punchy, balanced and they weight 150g  vs shure 400-500g.

I'll check out some reviews and try to get my hands on a trial pair, maybe they'll sway me, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back