Advice needed: Would you buy Apple or Google stock?
Sep 29, 2008 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CaseJ

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I was wondering what everyones opinions are with google at $385 and apple at $105. Now would seem like the time to buy with the DOW down 770. Any suggestions on what you would do if you had 15k to spend on either. Thanks!

Sep 29, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 16
To be honest, this really isn't the place for financial discussion. If you're looking for advice, I'd suggest consulting a professional; especially during this period of economic uncertainty.

Sep 29, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 16
well, id go with google, mainly because theyr setup seems more robust. They provide lots of services, most of them essential and not jsut expensive luxury items like ipods and macs. With the recession coming i guess they will be less hard hit. However if you were to buy for the short term (ie. sell as soon as tehy go up) id buy apple, since you can buy more. (granted if the both go up 1% then technically you get the same from 15k), but in practice they dont and a 1$ gain on the cheaper apple shares will mean more return than a 1 or 1 and a half dollar rise on the google shares.

Disclaimer : Keep in mind im a 16 year old kid who has no sort of qualification, im jsut using common sense and what i ahve learnt in economics in school. as was said before i would consult a profesional. Also consider buying shares for the citi bank (if your staying in for a long while) they are now teh biggest bank in the us of a and have to be the least likely to succumb to the credit crunch. Once this cloud blows over (the bill not being passed). Theyr shares should skyrocket.

Sep 30, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 16
Personally, I'd avoid buying plain stocks and go in mutual funds.

That being said, neither is a sure bet. Google has no way of making money except AdSense, and that's not a long-term sustainable business model. It's uncertain if it's a short-term sustainable business model.

Apple is a much more stable company, although it may be approaching critical mass. It has the benefit of the iPod and iPhone to fall back on, but sales of both have been down recently compared to historical rates. Their PC business is interesting. They're slowly approaching the growing pains Microsoft went through circa 1998 when their cool factor disappeared in the light of the fact that their entire culture had focused around features at the expense of security and stability. Once Apple starts to gain marketshare, they may be in for a very rude awakening in their core PC market.

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 16
A much better return on investment would be to create or manufacture something that provides positive cash flow by selling to people outside of the US. Forget about investing for a few years.

Sep 30, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 16
Oh hell no. I wouldn't buy either.

Just because they went down doesn't mean they're good values right now. I thought Google's $80 initial offering was too high and still do. I'm an accountant and just don't see the value on their books. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see where the value is.

Not sure about Apple, either. My membership in the Apple Cult has not yet lent itself to becoming a shareholder, though I'm devoted to an old IIfx on the shelf. And a IIgs, a SE/30 and several others.

Hate to say it, but real estate is beginning to look good again. Prices will come down, but if you can find a rental property where the rent covers the mortgage, it's a safe buy. Consider the tax breaks - you get depreciation and can form a corporation to hold the property. That means you get to write off a boatload of expenses. Lowering your tax bill is the same as income, after all.

If you want securities, I've always liked utilities. Many pay dividends and everyone needs utilities. No explosive growth, but good and safe for the long term.

You could just park it in a CD or savings, too. Always safe.

Sep 30, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 16
Oh hell no. I wouldn't buy either.

Just because they went down doesn't mean they're good values right now. I thought Google's $80 initial offering was too high and still do. I'm an accountant and just don't see the value on their books. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see where the value is.

Not sure about Apple, either. My membership in the Apple Cult has not yet lent itself to becoming a shareholder, though I'm devoted to an old IIfx on the shelf. And a IIgs, a SE/30 and several others.

Hate to say it, but real estate is beginning to look good again. Prices will come down, but if you can find a rental property where the rent covers the mortgage, it's a safe buy. Consider the tax breaks - you get depreciation and can form a corporation to hold the property. That means you get to write off a boatload of expenses. Lowering your tax bill is the same as income, after all.

If you want securities, I've always liked utilities. Many pay dividends and everyone needs utilities. No explosive growth, but good and safe for the long term.

You could just park it in a CD or savings, too. Always safe.

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 16
I probably would not buy right now, since the stock market it going down (mostly) these days.
If I had to buy it would be Apple stocks...

Sep 30, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider the tax breaks - you get depreciation and can form a corporation to hold the property. That means you get to write off a boatload of expenses.

Could you please explain this further? Thanks.

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go Campbell Soup....the only stock to go up in the S&P 500 yesterday.

Smart invertors know, as the economy tanks, more and more people will be in the "soup line"
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 16
Google's stock went down to $249 yesterday because of an ordering screw up at nasdaq. If you enjoy gambling, go right ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back