advice needed: Westone 3 v Triple Fi. 10 Pro
Oct 28, 2011 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

hfnewboi

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, my most recent pair of phones (the brainwavz m2 just recently) died on me, and I just recently got some cash from working part time so I figured it might be time to take the plunge and go for one of the more high-end IEMs. I managed to audition the TF10s a couple of months ago and liked the sound signature quite well. The fit was an issue, however, i could manage to get them to fit and it isn't a dealbreaker to me. However, I have had some trouble getting them for a decent price here in the UK. And earphone solutions who used to do a fair price on them have stopped carrying them. So i spent some time around these forums and I see that the Westone 3, which is also a three driver earphone seems to have quite a similiar sound signature. My questions are:

How similar are these two (in terms of sound)?

are there any particular earphones that i can consider as alternatives?

Are there any international dealers that carry the TF10s for a decent price?

Thanks so much people!

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 14
To me, they're no where alike. I find the bass on the W3 to be too over powering to the other ranges. The treble on the TF10s are more articulated due to the lesser bass. I personally like the tf10 much much more because of its brighter sound

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 14
Agree with Leynar.  They are both great.  I think with leaving the W3 eq bass flat it is not too overbearing but this is personal preference.  W3 better for bass driven music, hip hop, rap.  If the form factors were equal I would probably take the TF10.  There are TF10's for sale on Amazon for just over $200.  Over time, most people get frustrated with the fit.  I highly recommend UM2 as well.

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the quick response guys. think i'll just go with the TF10s then. I really liked the sound and if the westone 3's bass is anything like the um2s then it's probably not what i'm looking for.

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response guys. think i'll just go with the TF10s then. I really liked the sound and if the westone 3's bass is anything like the um2s then it's probably not what i'm looking for.

HOLD YOUR HORSES. wait for the black friday sale coming soon. 99 usd for them, cant go wrong there

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 14
I too found the W3 bass (mid bass) to be too much.  I think you'll be ok with some Complys or Olives.

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 14
I really liked the um3x, the detail and instrument separation was just great.  I found it a little dry, and I do love my treble sparkle, which I found it a bit lacking up top.  The microdetail was amazing though.  Also the soundstage was very small, it felt too closed in for my personal tastes if that makes sense..

Quote:
this. and if you are gonna try the westone 3, you might as well get the um3x - that **** is phenomenal. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
HOLD YOUR HORSES. wait for the black friday sale coming soon. 99 usd for them, cant go wrong there

Are they still going to have that sale this year? I heard that UE has stopped manufacturing the TF10.

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Are they still going to have that sale this year? I heard that UE has stopped manufacturing the TF10.

Maybe, maybe not. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 14
W3: Fun sound signature.  Long bass extension, though with a mid bass hump.  Nice treble extension.  Mids a bit recessed.  Great microphonics.  Great isolation.  Nice sound stage.

Triple.fi 10: still fun. Less mid bass hump, but with really great low extension, perhaps deeper and more powerful sub-bass than W3. Good highs with lots of extension. The highs are a bit more strident (slightly less warm) than the W3s. Mids a bit recessed. Nice air and sound stage, hard to hear the difference between the two. Ergonomics are really impossible to use while exercising. Lots more microphonics than the W3. Nice metal case.

I like them both

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #14 of 14
I also like the sound of both, but the comfort issues of the tf10 makes me reach for the W3 more. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back