Advice needed to replace Sennheiser IE6
Jan 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

littlenoises

New Head-Fier
So I've been having my Sennheiser IE6 for some time now and am overall quite content with the sound.
What's really unnerving though is that I can't listen for longer periods of time with them because they're so uncomfortable that I always end up getting a headache.

I've been using Comply tips from the beginning on but even those didn't help. With my previous IEMs (cheap AKG K330) I didn't experience that discomfort... so now I'm looking to phase out the IE6 in favor of some more comfortable IEMs.

As I said before I kind of like them soundwise, for most bass-heavy music I prefer them over my K240 (my main headphones). The only thing that irks me are the sometimes weak mids... those could be a little more present in the new IEMs.

I listen to quite a broad range of music, mostly altern-rock, post-rock, some jazz and electro.

Price-wise I'd be willing to spend up to €250, if good IEMs can be had for under that price it's of course fine too :D

What should also be mentioned is that I have quite tiny ear canals, so the new IEMS should have really small tips.

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 12
The Yamaha EPH_100, Etymotic HF5+ZO, Sony XBA3, Klipsch image X10 and SM3 V2 are recommended because they offer great soundquality include more midrange details than IE6 and they all are small enough to isolate well.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the quick response.

I don't know why, but the Klipsch and Etymotics look like toys to me. Of course I haven't heard them yet, but they certainly don't look durable.

On the other hand the XBA-3s and the Earsonic SM3 V2s appeal to me. The only problem is that the SM3s cost a little more than I was willing to spend and I can't really find an EU distributor for the XBA-3s.

Are there any other recommendations? What about, say, Audio-Technica, Denon, JVC or Shure?

It's also troublesome that I don't know any store here in Austria that has all these models and lets you try them. And I think most internet shops don't let you send back opened/used IEMs

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 12
The JVC FXT90 are a great set with good bass, better and clearer midrange than the IE6, amd clear non-fatiguing highs.  Also you might want to look at the TF10's, at their current price range I think its a steal and would be a big improvement over the IE6 (as would the FXT90's).

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 12
The FXT90 look great and the TF10 are a steal for the money indeed!

However I've read some discussions about the TF10's cables breaking easily... since I use my IEMs quite extensively that wouldn't be nice. Still I'm leaning more towards the TF10 here based on their reputation (the FXT90s seem to be reviewed quite favorably too so it's a close call)

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm in the minority but I think the TF10 cable is pretty sturdy and a lot of the problems people were having with the area by the jack ripping or braking was with the straight jack, now its an L shaped one which works so much better.

I have both the TF10 & FXT90 and you can't go wrong with either.  The JVC have a fun dynamic sound with a nice airy presentation while the TF10's or more balanced and detailed but still sound very smooth.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 12
I'm leaning heavily towards the TF10 because it subjectively appeals to me more (something about the design of the JVCs irks me).
One last question though: Does the TF10 fit in small ears without problems?

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 12
Well there have been people with small ears complain about not getting a good fit but for me (and I don't think I have very large ears) they fit fine and I have no problems with getting a seal.  The JVC's though you would have no issue what so ever they fit really nicely.

I wouldn't let that discourage you from getting the TF10's they are a excellent IEM with great SQ, if they don't work you can always return them.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 12
No problem

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 12
And in the end... it turned out to be neither the TF10 nor the FXT90.
I managed to get a good deal on a pair of Westone 4s, they should arrive pretty soon :D

I've read a few reviews beforehand, from what they tell me I'm really gonna like this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back