Advice Needed - S4i or SE310 (budget about £100)
Oct 16, 2009 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

stevegrant1

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, first time poster here!

I've had a pair of Shure e2c's for about 3 years now and loved the step up from apples standard buds. However, with the wire starting to fray at the bend around my ear i've decided to move onwards and upwards.

The device i'll be using is an Iphone 3GS. And I enjoy a bit of bass but would sacrifice this for a great all round IEM.

The two that have caught my eye are logically a Shure upgrade - SE310 (which i can get for £100) or any other Shure in and around the £100 price range and the Klipsch Image S4i (£90).

Now obviously the S4i's have the advantage of the inline remote but i'm worried about the bad reviews regarding the treble. I'm more than willing to sacrifice the remote for a better quality sound.

What are your thoughts?

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 6
RE0

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 6
I've owned both and definitely prefer the s4. The s4 is warmer which depending on your preference can be good or bad. Both are extremely comfortable while the shure does isolate a bit more. Sound quality wise though the s4's are more more balanced. I remember my shure se310 having little bass and rolling off in the top end, more so than the s4. The s4 have nice deep bass that is pretty quick and hits hard. Also the s4 have a much better sound stage. Plus you'll be able to control your iphone. I would pay more money for just the normal s4 than the se310 having listened to both. If the highs don't settle down after burn in you can mod them with different tips, such as the etymotic's bi-flanges as suggested by another poster, and tame them down even more. If you like a warmer sound signature than you'll love the klipsch. I eq mine to get them a little less warm and more detailed and love the way they sound. Good luck.

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned both and definitely prefer the s4. The s4 is warmer which depending on your preference can be good or bad. Both are extremely comfortable while the shure does isolate a bit more. Sound quality wise though the s4's are more more balanced. I remember my shure se310 having little bass and rolling off in the top end, more so than the s4. The s4 have nice deep bass that is pretty quick and hits hard. Also the s4 have a much better sound stage. Plus you'll be able to control your iphone. I would pay more money for just the normal s4 than the se310 having listened to both. If the highs don't settle down after burn in you can mod them with different tips, such as the etymotic's bi-flanges as suggested by another poster, and tame them down even more. If you like a warmer sound signature than you'll love the klipsch. I eq mine to get them a little less warm and more detailed and love the way they sound. Good luck.

Thanks jaysins for the quick response and very useful info from someone that has used both the IEM's in question.

Is is easy to do the mods you suggested?

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Should be. I did mess, it was the triple flange etymotic with the top snipped to make it a bi-flange. From what I have heard it is an easy mod and will tone the treble down if it is too much for you. Mine, with burn in, have lost the harshness and I tend to be fairly sensitive to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back