Advice needed on headphones
Jul 18, 2002 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AMP 34

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I have the X-CANS V2 and Senheiser HD580. I also have the Grado's SR-60. And the fact is I am not very happy with either of them.

I found the Senheiser totally unexciting, lacking punch, laidback and with no treble to speak off.

About the grados, they don't work well with the X-CANS. They are too bright and lacking bass. They are good for portable use and to switch them to a mini or midi system.

I listen mainly to pop-rock and I am considering buying other headphones
Options I am considering are: Beyer DT-831 or Grado SR-125.

I won't have the chance to demo any of them. I have read very good reviews of both and I've found the beyers at 90 quid on an Internet store, but I am not quite sure if they would give me the sound I am after.

The Grados SR-125 have also excellent reviews and are said to have a lot more bass and resolution than the sr-60. Not quite sure if they will work well with the X-CANS.

I need some advice them. Anyone have experience with the Beyer dt 831?

Regards,
AMP

Jul 18, 2002 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 7
AMP 34
HI: I found the the 580s were to laid back and the mids were also untill I got the equniox replacement cable. Now the 580s are not laid back and the mids are in line with the bass and the hights not to mention there is a better sound stage. You can do a search on this cable and read what other menbers have say about this cable. There are other replacement cables to choose from also. The reason that these cables are available is because of the senn. 580 laid back sound and the cable fixes that. JuDE did a great review on all the cables for the 580s and If I were you I would do a search for it. It just might keep you from haveing to buy another can
Sticky: COMPARISON: Clou Red, Stefan AudioArt Equinox, Cardas Prototype by JUDE. You can read this at
Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Hello Amp 34,

I also have the X-Can v2. I've been using the new AKG-K240S & AKG-K141S which are both 55 Ohms impedance. They both sound excellent with the X-Cans. They are very easy to drive, unlike the older 240M & 141M which are 600 Ohms.

I also use the very underrated AKG-K301 which also sound excellent with the X-Cans and are easy to drive even though they are 100 Ohms.

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 7
Hm.. you might prefer the Beyer 770pros over the 831s if you want bass impact or exciting sound, the 831s are clear and analytical, but I never found them particularly "fun" to listen to personally.

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Are you sure the X-cans piece isn't the problem? When I auditioned it, I didn't like it at all, and that was with the 580's as well. The sound was exactly as you describe. Some people seem to love the X-cans, so I'm sure it has its merits, but I found it rolled off and colored, not a good match for the 580's. Another approach might be to audition a different amp through Headroom or Audio Advisor with a 30-day trial period. You've got two sets of great phones, they are definitely capable of better sound than you're getting. I don't mean to trash the X-cans, just suggesting maybe it isn't the amp for your ears (it sure wasn't for mine).

Jul 19, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 7
I tend to think the problem is more with the headphones than with the amp. A lot of people agree there is a Sehnseiser sound, wich is laidback and not very exciting. With the Grados I think the amp is too much for them. They are better to use with portable devices or directly switched to the amp IMHO. Maybe a higher model of the grados will be more suitable to use with the X-CANS.
I might be able to try with the SR-125.

About AKG, I like the sound of the 240, I use them in a pub where I sometimes work as a DJ, but I haven´t tried them at home.

The Beyers 770 pro may be also another option. I´ve read very good reviews of them.

About those cables for the senheisers, were can I get them if I were interested?

Thanks and regards
AMP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back