(Advice needed) New gaming sound setup.
Dec 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Shisno

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I'm planning to build a new system come tax time this year... I've basically got a blank check between a $5000 return and some savings.  So, I'm planning to  spend about $3,000 on a new machine.  So, I need advice on an entire high-end sound setup.

The MOST important thing to me is directional precision, and being able to locate targets via sound, with actual sound performance being a close second.  Can anyone recommend a floor to ceiling sound setup?

Ok, so for starters, I've been eyeing the following soundcard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271005

Please, let me know if that's as great of a card as it seems.  I'm kind of a newbie to audiophiledom.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:
Ok, so I'm planning to build a new system come tax time this year... I've basically got a blank check between a $5000 return and some savings.  So, I'm planning to  spend about $3,000 on a new machine.  So, I need advice on an entire high-end sound setup.

The MOST important thing to me is directional precision, and being able to locate targets via sound, with actual sound performance being a close second.  Can anyone recommend a floor to ceiling sound setup?

Ok, so for starters, I've been eyeing the following soundcard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271005

Please, let me know if that's as great of a card as it seems.  I'm kind of a newbie to audiophiledom.

Only sound equipment for the computer? OR is this budget including the computer?

I can recommend a lot of headphones, but I suggest you demo them too.

Clarify that part then we can get started.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 28
The $3,000 is a rough target that is flexible for the machine.  But, after much advice from Roller and others, I'm tentatively decided upon the following:

HP's: AD700
Amp: O2
Soundcard: Titanium HD

If you have other ideas, I'd love to hear about them.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:
The $3,000 is a rough target that is flexible for the machine.  But, after much advice from Roller and others, I'm tentatively decided upon the following:

HP's: AD700
Amp: O2
Soundcard: Titanium HD

If you have other ideas, I'd love to hear about them.

Might want to get a second headphone for movies and music (headphones that have bass).

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 28
Has Roller given you any recommendations on what computer parts to get? If so, mind posting it so I can judge it?

If not, do you have a monitor? What parts do you already have?

How important is music to you? The AD700 is considered VERY good for games and spatial imaging, but is quite bad for music. Could always have two headphones since AD700 isn't all that expensive anyway.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 28
Yeah, after hearing how bad the AD's are for immersion and music, a second set is definitely in the works.
I work IT by trade. I'm pretty set on a bleeding edge build (first time ever... I'm usually the frugal person with a sub $1000 build).
This time, I've got a lot more money to work with, and I figure that my PC experience is pretty much 95% of my yearly entertainment budget.
Planning on LGA2011 with Asus x79 Sabertooh, 3930K, 64GB PC2400 (will be RAM loading entire games during play), either Agility 4 or 840s/512G SSD, OCZ 900W Modular PSU (for headroom), Thermaltake Lvl10 GT Snow, 
Not sure if I want the 7970 or the 680, but leaning 680 since Nvidia's drivers almost always extend the life of their cards well beyond ATI.  Totally overkill, I know... but, this is the first time I've had the money to build a system that has the capability of lasting me 5+ years (with great performance).
I'm set on primary display for now... not bothering with 3D until there are more options on the market and prices correct.  I might get a second monitor (after i get a bigger desk).

I digress... What headphones would the two of you recommend for immersion/music/movies, etc?

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:
Yeah, after hearing how bad the AD's are for immersion and music, a second set is definitely in the works.
I work IT by trade. I'm pretty set on a bleeding edge build (first time ever... I'm usually the frugal person with a sub $1000 build).
This time, I've got a lot more money to work with, and I figure that my PC experience is pretty much 95% of my yearly entertainment budget.
Planning on LGA2011 with Asus x79 Sabertooh, 3930K, either Agility 4 or 840s/512G SSD, OCZ 900W Modular PSU (for headroom), Thermaltake Lvl10 GT Snow, 
Not sure if I want the 7970 or the 680, but leaning 680 since Nvidia's drivers almost always extend the life of their cards well beyond ATI.
I'm set on primary display for now... not bothering with 3D until there are more options on the market and prices correct.  I might get a second monitor (after a bigger desk).

I digress... What would the two of you recommend for immersion/music/movies, etc?

Beyerdynamic DT880 250-Ohm or 600-Ohm headphones.
Sound card wise, get the Essence STX, same audio processer as the HT Omega, but the STX is $70 less.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 28
I think your computer is roughly 2k. You know a 3930k isn't much faster than an 3770k if you're only playing games right?

With leaves you with 1k for sound. Get a Beyerdynamic T1 and a soundcard.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
Planning on LGA2011 with Asus x79 Sabertooh, 3930K, 64GB PC2400 (will be RAM loading entire games during play), either Agility 4 or 840s/512G SSD, OCZ 900W Modular PSU (for headroom), Thermaltake Lvl10 GT Snow, 
Not sure if I want the 7970 or the 680, but leaning 680 since Nvidia's drivers almost always extend the life of their cards well beyond ATI.  Totally overkill, I know... but, this is the first time I've had the money to build a system that has the capability of lasting me 5+ years (with great performance).
I'm set on primary display for now... not bothering with 3D until there are more options on the market and prices correct.  I might get a second monitor (after i get a bigger desk).

I digress... What headphones would the two of you recommend for immersion/music/movies, etc?

The first thing you have to keep in mind is that no specs are overkill when it comes to gaming. A GTX 680 fits nicely into an enthusiast build, along with providing additional features like CUDA, PhysX, Adaptative V-Sync and Target Frame Rate, which are absent from AMD cards. Adding a 2560x1600 monitor would be a good move, but pick carefully as monitors can be quite expensive, depending on the one you pick.

For immersive gaming and movies, the Beyerdynamic DT990, the Ultrasone HFI-2400, the Ultrasone Pro 900 (or Pro 2900 for a more open sound with slightly less bass presence) are all great options. The music genres you listen to do make a difference for recommending headphones. I do consider the Ultrasone Pro 900 to be excellent for immersive gaming (it also handles competitive gaming reasonably well) and movies, and it handles EDM, metal and bass emphasized genres very well.

About the SSD, I'd recommend you get the 840s rather than the Agility 4.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

The first thing you have to keep in mind is that no specs are overkill when it comes to gaming. A GTX 680 fits nicely into an enthusiast build, along with providing additional features like CUDA, PhysX, Adaptative V-Sync and Target Frame Rate, which are absent from AMD cards. Adding a 2560x1600 monitor would be a good move, but pick carefully as monitors can be quite expensive, depending on the one you pick.

For immersive gaming and movies, the Beyerdynamic DT990, the Ultrasone HFI-2400, the Ultrasone Pro 900 (or Pro 2900 for a more open sound with slightly less bass presence) are all great options. The music genres you listen to do make a difference for recommending headphones. I do consider the Ultrasone Pro 900 to be excellent for immersive gaming (it also handles competitive gaming reasonably well) and movies, and it handles EDM, metal and bass emphasized genres very well.

About the SSD, I'd recommend you get the 840s rather than the Agility 4.

Or go for the OCZ Vertex. Speeds are more consistent but don't peak as high.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:
Or go for the OCZ Vertex. Speeds are more consistent but don't peak as high.

The Vertex 4 (I'm assuming you're talking about the 4th, not the 3rd) does have reasonably even performance, but it's more on the 830 level, IMO.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 28
If you're not overclocking your CPU(I noticed you didn't mention any aftermarket cooling systems), no need to get a K series processor. If you want to save some money you can just go for the non-k version. Same thing but doesn't give much wiggle room at all for overclocking.

Definitely go with Nvidia though. I have played at most 3 games that are optimized for AMD(well recently, just got a good gaming PC a few months ago). Nvidia pays the vast majority of major developers to optimize games for their graphics cards. Plus, the 680 is better performing than any other GPU out there currently. I have a 670 which I thought would be overkill, and it's definitely not. There are still going to be some games out there that can push a 680 to its limit.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
If you're not overclocking your CPU(I noticed you didn't mention any aftermarket cooling systems), no need to get a K series processor. If you want to save some money you can just go for the non-k version. Same thing but doesn't give much wiggle room at all for overclocking.

Definitely go with Nvidia though. I have played at most 3 games that are optimized for AMD(well recently, just got a good gaming PC a few months ago). Nvidia pays the vast majority of major developers to optimize games for their graphics cards. Plus, the 680 is better performing than any other GPU out there currently. I have a 670 which I thought would be overkill, and it's definitely not. There are still going to be some games out there that can push a 680 to its limit.

He's going for a X79 platform, so getting a non-K processor isn't a good decision, both considering his budget as well as only K processors being hexa-core.

The remaining budget could be saved on the side, considering the full Kepler die is going to be released in a few months under the form of the GTX 780 (what the GTX 680 was meant to be, but due to the HD7970 underperforming, the die was cut down). Then, the GTX 680 could either be sold or be a dedicated PhysX device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back