Advice needed - How to keep the bass up AND keep the neighbors happy
Sep 2, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
1 - the biggest benefit actually comes from decoupling the subwoofer from the floor not by the absorption of the bass.

2 - So instead of using the standard tiny feet or no feet at all, using feet like these actually stabilize the unit more as well.

You're right in that a risers main purpose is to decouple the sub from the floor reducing the muddiness of the bass and making it more pronounced. But they aren't made to to absorb the bass at all, only the vibration that causes everything to rattle and shake. If they absorbed the bass they would be kind of counter productive.

The small footprint is part of what isolates the vibrations. They work the same as floor spikes for towers, the less contact area the higher the pressure on the feet meaning less vibration.

Like someone already pointed out bass builds up most in the corners, corner traps and acoustic panels are your best bet. Something like these. Obviously this is a more expensive option, there's always DIY.

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #17 of 31

Quote:

Why not start with some good old fashioned manners and turn the bass Down.

Yup, I live in a flat (middle floor) and have experience of idiot neighbours (not you OP) and their loud music, its not too bad if its in the afternoon, but evening time it is just not cricket.

Baring doing what an earlier poster has said and sound proof your floor, theres not alot you can do to prevent noise pollution from bass.

My advice..move somewhere without immediate neighbours or get a pair of headphones!

- That sounded really miserable didn't it?

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
Like someone already pointed out bass builds up most in the corners, corner traps and acoustic panels are your best bet. Something like these. Obviously this is a more expensive option, there's always DIY.

So would a bass trap would be more effective than a floor riser? Had a look at some DIY bass traps online on youtube, and it looks like a fair amount of work. Am thinking $50 on a riser, or the feet-riser option suggested by j-ing might be easier.

Quote:
Quote:

My advice..move somewhere without immediate neighbours or get a pair of headphones!

- That sounded really miserable didn't it?

Maybe moving to a ground floor apartment would be a good option. Will keep that in mind the next time I move.

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #19 of 31
Overall, probably. But at the same time I kind of think they go hand in hand. The bass trap is going to soak up the extra bass and keep it from traveling as much but the riser is going to keep things from shaking. Overall I'm sure it's the noise that bothers them but if there pictures are shaking on the walls and there's no noise coming down they may freak out a bit! lol

Quote:

So would a bass trap would be more effective than a floor riser?

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #20 of 31

Quote:

So would a bass trap would be more effective than a floor riser? Had a look at some DIY bass traps online on youtube, and it looks like a fair amount of work. Am thinking $50 on a riser, or the feet-riser option suggested by j-ing might be easier.

Maybe moving to a ground floor apartment would be a good option. Will keep that in mind the next time I move.

Moving is one thing you will be doing a lot of if you do not respect others.

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
Moving is one thing you will be doing a lot of if you do not respect others.

Quote:
Ultrasone Hfi-780 and everyone's happy. And guess what, you're in an apartment- subs are no-no! I live in a house and I worry I bother my neighbors next door and keep the sub down.

Guys - the reason I'm posting here and trying to figure this out is because I want to keep the neighbors happy!!!

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #23 of 31
OK this is a total noob question - will staying on the ground floor of an apartment building help - does the bass sound travel upwards as well?

Quote:
Overall, probably. But at the same time I kind of think they go hand in hand. The bass trap is going to soak up the extra bass and keep it from traveling as much but the riser is going to keep things from shaking. Overall I'm sure it's the noise that bothers them but if there pictures are shaking on the walls and there's no noise coming down they may freak out a bit! lol

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:
OK this is a total noob question - will staying on the ground floor of an apartment building help - does the bass sound travel upwards as well?

No, it doesn't help.  Among other things, I'm a landlord.  We occasionally get complaints from those downstairs and upstairs.  I'm so thankful for Sound Deadening Board.  It really cuts down on the noise and keeps people happy.  The problem is that you need to tear down the drywall or floor/ceiling to put it up.  But once it's in there, you can play music at normal levels without driving the neighbors insane.  As we've torn through the places to remodel them, we put this up in common walls.  Can't think of a complaint in the places that have this up.

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #26 of 31

Quote:
Then you know the answer,turn it down,or better still turn it off.

honestly, either put in some advice other than that which you have already mentioned or stop ripping into the OP. I understand ripping could be a tad hard, but really. I think he is being sensitive by posting and asking for alternatives and is open to options. Assuming he is not blaring his bass, the apartment could just have been poorly sound proofed and through no fault of the OP, normal or low level music disturbs the others around.

I would agree that if he can't find a suitable alternative, headphones or to just lower the bass, but if not, I think laying off the OP would be nice.

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #27 of 31
I am here with an open mind and looking for a solution which keeps all parties happy by reaching out to some of the more creative thinkers on this forum. You, sir, as proven by your reply, are not amongst those. What IF you could have it both ways? Uncle-Erik suggested a proofing material which might work, as have others. To me, that represents a viable solution, something that might work. This is not about turning the bass up to the max - a decent level works for me. Just because you do not know of a solution to the problem stated in the title of this thread (notice the emphasis on the word "AND" in the thread title), does not mean that a solution does not exist.

Quote:
Then you know the answer,turn it down,or better still turn it off.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
honestly, either put in some advice other than that which you have already mentioned or stop ripping into the OP. I understand ripping could be a tad hard, but really. I think he is being sensitive by posting and asking for alternatives and is open to options. Assuming he is not blaring his bass, the apartment could just have been poorly sound proofed and through no fault of the OP, normal or low level music disturbs the others around.

I would agree that if he can't find a suitable alternative, headphones or to just lower the bass, but if not, I think laying off the OP would be nice.

I suggest a Chill Pill.

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #30 of 31
Yeah, kudos to the OP for at least realising the issue!  Quite an interesting thread for us flat dwellers...just a shame the solutions require major DIY work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back