advice me what should i get...
Nov 9, 2008 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

filch

New Head-Fier
X`mas is round the corner. I was thinking what kind of new headphones should i get. I was think of SKULLCANDY sk pro, Bose tripod headphones or audio-technical ATH-SQ5ABK Stereo Headphones. which is value for money. OR u have any other headphone you could recommend my budget is less than 150 USD.

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 33
Noooo, no Bose, please!
frown.gif

I used to use the Bose Triport, and I think I still have it somewhere. It has a broken headband. It doesn't sound horrible, but it doesn't sound good either and you can get better headphones for less money.

USD 150 is a nice budget and you should be able to get a pair of very good headphones.

The first thing you should decide is whether you want open or closed headphones. I think that open headphones can potentially sound better than closed ones at the less than 500 price range.

But if your environment is somewhat noisy, such as a subway or bus, or there are people around you who might be bothered by your music leaking out of the headphones, you might want a closed headphone.

I like the Alessandro MS1 at $100 (open) and the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 at $169 (closed), which is Audio Cubes' listed price. You might be able to find them for a bit less.

If an open headphone suits your purposes, such as using them in a quiet room, it is hard to beat the Alessandro MS1 in value.

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 33
es7 is aesthetically pleasing, unless you like the skullcandy kind of looks, and sounds great.

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 33
Yes, many people can attest to the fact that the Grado headphones are a great value for their cost. If I was you, I would buy the Grado SR60 and some bowl pads. That comes out to about $80, which leaves you with $70 to roll into the purchase of some better headphones down the line.

Or you could go with the ES7s, which look stunning, but they are just a little over your budget.

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 33
over budget at audiocubes, they are almost always overpriced.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 33
chey thanks for everyone's input to what kind of headphone i should get.. Last question ... Is skullcandy SK pro headphone sound quailty as good as a audio technical E-7s

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 33
I'm not sure how many members here would have been able to hear both of the headphones for a direct comparison. Many might have logical reasons to believe/assume that the skullcandy's do not sound as good. If I had to guess, I would also guess that the ES7s sound better. But better for one person's taste doesn't necessarily carry over to another person.

Why don't you describe your sound preferences/taste in music. Maybe that will help others with their recommendations.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 33
Hey a Bose/Skullcandy thread!

LOL, you're in the wrong place if you're prioritizing visuals. Some people here have AKG K1000s...

I've never heard a Skullcandy headphone that I like. And I live in New Zealand where everyone frigging has Skullcandy headphones. I don't know why...

I say...not enough information from the OP. Give us some idea of:
(a) Music preferences (e.g., metal, classical)
(b) Sound preferences (e.g., extra bass)
(c) Listening environment (e.g., outdoors)

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 33
Yeah, with a $150 budget I recommend you look into Grado.
..and beware that BOSE is not highly regarded around here. Not because they sound awfully bad, but that the general consensus are that they are overpriced.

Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back