Advice for Tube Headphone Amp Purchase
Feb 18, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #76 of 116
Thanks for the reply. I went deep diving on all the tube sites and 6N23P-EV is harder to find. But there are many equivalents. The only differences I could find is that the 6N23P's have lower gain ratings. So maybe he recommends that change for my efficient headphones?

Not sure about the swap from 6N6P to 6H30Pi? Maybe he is just trying to get rid of some tubes he has laying around? He says the "upgraded" combo sounds wonderful and will sound best with my collection.

The tube thing is always a crap shoot and very subjective. Sigh...
• The 6N23P (with/without EV suffix) and 6922 have gain factors between 32x and 33x.
• Here is another thought (🤞it works): Xduoo TA-20. $399, is a hybrid tube/SS, takes two 12AU7 tubes (great rolling territory), is balanced from input to output, compact size…

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #77 of 116
• The 6N23P (with/without EV suffix) and 6922 have gain factors between 32x and 33x.
• Here is another thought (🤞it works): Xduoo TA-20. $399, is a hybrid tube/SS, takes two 12AU7 tubes (great rolling territory), is balanced from input to output, compact size…
I used to have one of those and didn't care for it. I have gone through some amps in the last 5ish years:

1) Cavalli LCX
2) Burson Fun-Classic/Vivid
3) Topping NX3s
4) Vali 2
5) Loxjie P20
6) SMSL SP200
7) XDuoo TA-20
8) Little Dot MKIII
9) FiiO A5
10) MAD Ear+ HDII
11) Liquid Platinum
12) iFi Micro iCAN SE

As I sit here now the only one I regret selling is the MAD Ear+ HDII. I should have given that one more time.

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #78 of 116
Forgot to mention that i found one web site that stated the gain/amplication factor for the 6N23P tubes ranged from 23-43 My. So, I guess 33Mu on average.:relaxed:

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #79 of 116
I used to have one of those and didn't care for it. I have gone through some amps in the last 5ish years:

1) Cavalli LCX
2) Burson Fun-Classic/Vivid
3) Topping NX3s
4) Vali 2
5) Loxjie P20
6) SMSL SP200
7) XDuoo TA-20
8) Little Dot MKIII
9) FiiO A5
10) MAD Ear+ HDII
11) Liquid Platinum
12) iFi Micro iCAN SE

As I sit here now the only one I regret selling is the MAD Ear+ HDII. I should have given that one more time.

Just out of curiosity, where on that list would you put iCAN SE as far as performance goes? Was it worth your while :) ?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 18, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #80 of 116
Just out of curiosity, where on that list would you put iCAN SE as far as performance goes? Was it worth your while :) ?
To be honest, I found it fairly underwhelming. I bought it solely for the purpose of driving the HD6XX's (it was my first headphone amp). And it did it's job well. At the time I owned the HD6XX's, Grado SR325e's, Meze 99 Classic's and Oppo PM3's. I wanted to have a shoot-out over the winter to see what kind of sound I like. I was diving into the hobby in a big way (about 5 years ago)!

I really enjoyed the features (bass boost and 3D), but not enough to keep it. Lots of power and cool features.

Very similar to the Pro iCAN, which has even more toys. I find your gear to be pretty neutral, even with the tube modes. More powerful and skilled than my Violectric, but doesn't have the soul.:dt880smile:

Both have their place.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #81 of 116
Thanks for the reply. I went deep diving on all the tube sites and 6N23P-EV is harder to find. But there are many equivalents. The only differences I could find is that the 6N23P's have lower gain ratings. So maybe he recommends that change for my efficient headphones?

Not sure about the swap from 6N6P to 6H30Pi? Maybe he is just trying to get rid of some tubes he has laying around? He says the "upgraded" combo sounds wonderful and will sound best with my collection.

The tube thing is always a crap shoot and very subjective. Sigh...
IIRC the "EV" (and other similar) designation is basically the Soviet version of JAN. Higher spec tubes, lower noise, built to military standards

Feb 18, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #82 of 116
IIRC the "EV" (and other similar) designation is basically the Soviet version of JAN. Higher spec tubes, lower noise, built to military standards
Yes the EW must have been a misprint.
He says that they have a fuller sound and deeper bass than most 6922 models. And this being tube world, everything is subjective.

I must admit that I am getting a little fixated on this amp...

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #83 of 116
Hello,
If it's done well in terms of implementation, which I think it is, then it really doesn't matter.
If it sounds great and everything is to your taste then you only need to have one set of tubes in stock.
When the tubes are annealed.

If it is not perceived as good then it was a bad investment.

But if you don't want to take a risk, I would politely ask if it would be possible to build it on standard tubes and at worst pay the extra price and accept the longer construction time.

Spontaneously I would have said El34 with 6SN7 or El34 with 12aux or 6922.
It's just a question of what is feasible and realistic.
Unfortunately, I'm not that experienced in such things to recommend something direct, because I don't have the knowledge.

Feb 18, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #84 of 116
Since I'm here…
Anybody having any joy using full glass (ie. not hybrid) with moderately hard to drive planars (A2C, Edition XS)? I would like to step away from the hybrid field, but I keep buying more planars. I know OTL is out of the question. OTC seems to be hit and miss depending on the headphones. The only amp I've read reviews of that seemed to have no issue reasonably driving planars is the Cayin HA1A.

Feb 18, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #85 of 116
Hello,
If it's done well in terms of implementation, which I think it is, then it really doesn't matter.
If it sounds great and everything is to your taste then you only need to have one set of tubes in stock.
When the tubes are annealed.

If it is not perceived as good then it was a bad investment.

But if you don't want to take a risk, I would politely ask if it would be possible to build it on standard tubes and at worst pay the extra price and accept the longer construction time.

Spontaneously I would have said El34 with 6SN7 or El34 with 12aux or 6922.
It's just a question of what is feasible and realistic.
Unfortunately, I'm not that experienced in such things to recommend something direct, because I don't have the knowledge.
He offered the 6SN7 option but stated it would cost more and take longer. He stated that it needed to be wired differently from the 6922. Must be different voltage and heater requirements.

With the rabbit hole that is tube building I am sure that you could go pretty deep.

I think I might just try the base model with upgraded driver tube at a pretty affordable price.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #86 of 116
Yeah okay.
How much more would it cost?

If I am honest, I would pay the extra price.
You will find more and better tubes on the market.
And also more flexible in that respect and they'll get it built right once and if it fits they won't let it out of their hands except for a repair.

I don't know what the situation is with the 6922, but it is possible that at some point you will only find something on the Nos market.
If something is more common and popular, then it is the 12Au, which is still often used in circuits.
Personally, I found the 6922 on the Vali to be a bit muffled in sound, and on a test unit where a hybrid amplifier was fitted with 12Au as well.
But there was only one tube on this hybrid amplifier.
The 6SN7s deliver a more open sound stage, go deeper, are also more grippy, more coherent and also soft.

If it would only cost 100$ maximum extra,then jump,in the end it counts that all 3 are satisfied,you,Piotr and your headphones.
It would be a good concept to go to 6SN7.
Even if the tubes sometimes cost a bit.
It is worth it, except for one tube where I am not completely satisfied, they have all been good.
But it was also a very cheap tube, so it was not a big mistake.

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #87 of 116
s

Yes the EW must have been a misprint.
He says that they have a fuller sound and deeper bass than most 6922 models. And this being tube world, everything is subjective.

I must admit that I am getting a little fixated on this amp...
I have a few pairs of the Reflektor 6N23P-EV: they are excellent, reasonably priced, and I have rolled them in Valhalla II, in the LP (when I had it), in the Woo WA2.

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #88 of 116
Since I'm here…
Anybody having any joy using full glass (ie. not hybrid) with moderately hard to drive planars (A2C, Edition XS)? I would like to step away from the hybrid field, but I keep buying more planars. I know OTL is out of the question. OTC seems to be hit and miss depending on the headphones. The only amp I've read reviews of that seemed to have no issue reasonably driving planars is the Cayin HA1A.
Woo WA6 and especially Woo WA6SE…with LCD-4 (200 ohms nominal impedance) 🎼🥲

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #89 of 116
Woo WA6 and especially Woo WA6SE…with LCD-4 (200 ohms nominal impedance) 🎼🥲
Great, now I need to buy a set of LCD-4 (or 5, or CRBN)...thanks for putting that idea in my head.

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #90 of 116
It gets better: with the 200 ohm nominal impedance, I also run the LCD-4 off the OTL Woo WA2 !!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back