Advice for my Koss Modding Project?
Nov 1, 2015 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Feilong4

Headphoneus Supremus
So basically Im just moving the Koss drivers into a "better" headband with ear pads.

Screws are in the Altoid boxes which is why they are pictured.
 I'm planning to somehow remove the grill and the driver and put the Koss ones in.
I'm planning to take the socket thing out and hot glue it down to the earcup on the other one.
 Also, hooray for rusty headbands.. 'swhat I get for going for a 6 dollar headphone. I'm thinking of sanding it and spraying it over.

-I'm thinking of customizing a design on the earcup (sanding and spraying it), 

-I was thinking of putting foam on the earcup or drilling holes on the new earcup (literally no idea what either would do to the sound; need help here).

-I am thinking of also getting 3D printed grills from a reddit user (maybe). Link to it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3punk4/koss_ksc75_replacement_grills_3d_printed/

-I am also thinking of sawing the bottom bit of the earcup to fit in the wires, and then hot glue the sawed out piece back (I can't solder to save my life).

-I'm also thinking of replacing the earpads to the Beats Solo HD pads and the headband to maybe a snap-on.

So, any suggestions or tip?

Also, this is my first DIY project on a headphone besides my failed Kramer mod that caused a driver to fail (low volume, less bass).

Questions:

-Do the Koss KCS75, SportaPro (What I have but defective), and PortaPro share the same driver?

-How can I recable the cable by myself? I'm a horrible DIY'er so if it requires very precise and delicate work I'll pass.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 3
  So basically Im just moving the Koss drivers into a "better" headband with ear pads.

Screws are in the Altoid boxes which is why they are pictured.
 I'm planning to somehow remove the grill and the driver and put the Koss ones in.
I'm planning to take the socket thing out and hot glue it down to the earcup on the other one.

Also, hooray for rusty headbands.. 'swhat I get for going for a 6 dollar headphone. I'm thinking of sanding it and spraying it over.

-I'm thinking of customizing a design on the earcup (sanding and spraying it), 

-I was thinking of putting foam on the earcup or drilling holes on the new earcup (literally no idea what either would do to the sound; need help here).

-I am thinking of also getting 3D printed grills from a reddit user (maybe). Link to it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3punk4/koss_ksc75_replacement_grills_3d_printed/

-I am also thinking of sawing the bottom bit of the earcup to fit in the wires, and then hot glue the sawed out piece back (I can't solder to save my life).

-I'm also thinking of replacing the earpads to the Beats Solo HD pads and the headband to maybe a snap-on.

So, any suggestions or tip?

Also, this is my first DIY project on a headphone besides my failed Kramer mod that caused a driver to fail (low volume, less bass).

Questions:

-Do the Koss KCS75, SportaPro (What I have but defective), and PortaPro share the same driver?

-How can I recable the cable by myself? I'm a horrible DIY'er so if it requires very precise and delicate work I'll pass.

Sounds like a fun project...

Think about drilling the earcup instead of using a saw and hot glue. It looks like the host headphones were single-entry on one side. All you'll need to do is drill the other side to accomodate the dual-entry Koss setup (unless you want single-sided....then its another ballgame, and you'll be able to re-use the holes in the cups as is, no drilling).

The Portapro and Sportapro share a driver. They have a darker, bassier signature. The KSC75 has a different driver. It is brighter (almost Grado-esque).

Recabling isn't terribly fine or hard work, but you do need to know how to pick up and use a soldering iron. Its a formidable thought, but not as bad as you think. It just requires patience, a steady hand and a light touch. Koss drivers are tricky because the soldering pads are so small and they are a little recessed. I am a sucky solderer, and still manage to pull it off with them. They are ideal to learn on because they are so cheap (especially the KSC75).

If you enjoy this project, look up the SennGrado, and the stratoKOSSter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back