Advice for headphone
Jan 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SoundNation

New Head-Fier
i am looking for a headphone that does well with fiio e17 open or closed, it does not matter. But isn't open or semi open headphones healthier and less fatiguing? i will use it for music (rap/hiphop/jamaican reggea/jazz//country/music with lots of intrumentals like piano/quitar etc)/classic-> i like almost all kinds of music as long as it sounds nice i will listing to music from pc or iphone (i got mp3 also alac files, in the future other files maybe) i will use it also alot for gaming on the ps3 and watching movies too i have heard dt880 250 ohm unamped, i liked it alot but i was missing some bass, maybe because it was unamped? idk i like low bass / sub bass are there more headphones for my taste? around 200-300 dollar

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
i am looking for a headphone that does well with fiio e17 open or closed, it does not matter. But isn't open or semi open headphones healthier and less fatiguing? i will use it for music (rap/hiphop/jamaican reggea/jazz//country/music with lots of intrumentals like piano/quitar etc)/classic-> i like almost all kinds of music as long as it sounds nice i will listing to music from pc or iphone (i got mp3 also alac files, in the future other files maybe) i will use it also alot for gaming on the ps3 and watching movies too i have heard dt880 250 ohm unamped, i liked it alot but i was missing some bass, maybe because it was unamped? idk i like low bass / sub bass are there more headphones for my taste? around 200-300 dollar

Heya,

DT880 250ohm with your E17 will work well. Maybe the DT990 if you want more bass.

Other suggestions:

Sony MA900
Hifiman HE-300 r2
Ultrasone HFI 2400

Beyer DT770 PRO (any version)
Mr Speaker Mad Dogs
Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone PRO 750

Very best,

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Heya,

DT880 250ohm with your E17 will work well. Maybe the DT990 if you want more bass.

Other suggestions:

Sony MA900
Hifiman HE-300 r2
Ultrasone HFI 2400

Beyer DT770 PRO (any version)
Mr Speaker Mad Dogs
Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone PRO 750

Very best,

OK thanks

i will search for more info about the other phones
do you think the e17 will work with the dt 880 600 ohm or dt 990 600 ohm?
or is the e17 better with 250 ohm and dt770 80 ohm?
and gives the bass boost option on the e17 the dt880 a good added low bass?

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
OK thanks

i will search for more info about the other phones
do you think the e17 will work with the dt 880 600 ohm or dt 990 600 ohm?
or is the e17 better with 250 ohm and dt770 80 ohm?
and gives the bass boost option on the e17 the dt880 a good added low bass?

Heya,

The 600ohms will work the E17 and sound fine. Ideally you should use the 250ohm or less though.

The bass boost option can make the DT880 very bassy. I use my DT880's on my Fiio's and the bass boost makes them quite bassy like the DT990.

Very best,

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Heya,

The 600ohms will work the E17 and sound fine. Ideally you should use the 250ohm or less though.

The bass boost option can make the DT880 very bassy. I use my DT880's on my Fiio's and the bass boost makes them quite bassy like the DT990.

Very best,

i think i gonna order the dt880 but i dont know which ohm version
which one do you have and why?

i read alot on this forum that the 600 ohm version is really much better when u have better amps/dacs.
Is this really true?

You are saying that the 600 ohm will work with the e17 but u prefer the 250 ohm with it. So
i think u mean that it wont sound good with the 600 ohm. Is there a similar amp/dac like the e17 with optical (for ps3)?

If not than i just order the 600 ohm with the e17 and in the future upgrade to a better amp/dac, but i doubt i will enjoy the 600 ohm with e17 because
of what i read on these forums. But i also dont whant the 250  ohm because i read that the 600 ohm sound much better with better amp/dacs

so i am stuck between these two version. I really dont know which one of these to buy for my music and gaming.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 10
But i also dont whant the 250 ohm because i read that the 600 ohm sound much better with better amp/dacs

I think you have the wrong idea here. In simple terms; the "Ohm" rating you see on the headphones is the combined Resistance, Inductance and Capacitance of the headphone's voice coil. Generally, the higher this number, the more power it takes to drive the headphones and push them to their max power potential. It's not that that 600Ohm sound "Much" better, it's more so the 600 Ohms can be pushed a margin further when using an amp/Dac, and with therefore have more of an accurate response to frequencies. Keep in mind that the E17 you are looking at will NOT provide the power the 600Ohm version needs to operate at full potential, and will most likely sound very similar to the 250O version (which the e17 would drive nicely).

In my opinion, if you're really convinced you want the 600Ohm version than get an amp + Dac that provides the high voltage gain and high output voltage the 600Ohm needs. Spend the extra bit of cash, you won't regret it.

Remember, these headphones are built for stationary, amped use, not portability. So you may not be too impressed with the sound coming out of your iPhone :wink:

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I think you have the wrong idea here. In simple terms; the "Ohm" rating you see on the headphones is the combined Resistance, Inductance and Capacitance of the headphone's voice coil. Generally, the higher this number, the more power it takes to drive the headphones and push them to their max power potential. It's not that that 600Ohm sound "Much" better, it's more so the 600 Ohms can be pushed a margin further when using an amp/Dac, and with therefore have more of an accurate response to frequencies. Keep in mind that the E17 you are looking at will NOT provide the power the 600Ohm version needs to operate at full potential, and will most likely sound very similar to the 250O version (which the e17 would drive nicely).

In my opinion, if you're really convinced you want the 600Ohm version than get an amp + Dac that provides the high voltage gain and high output voltage the 600Ohm needs. Spend the extra bit of cash, you won't regret it.

Remember, these headphones are built for stationary, amped use, not portability. So you may not be too impressed with the sound coming out of your iPhone
wink.gif

hmm thank you for the clear explanation.
so i quess to fully enjoy the headphone i would need  a good desktop amp/dac
i read alot about amp/dacs (ss and tubes etc) that goes well with the dt880 , so i quess i can search for these threads again
But i am not a audiophile, i am a nooby with headphones , so all the information is sometimes too much.

but do u personally know which desktop amp/dac works well with the dt 880 without breaking its own signature
,perhaps with a option to give it more/less bass and that has also a spdif optical for ps3.

for example is the

Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter good one for dt 880 (it has almost everything in it).

If i am buyng a desktop amp/dac i want a compact one like that one. Do u know if there are more like these or
do u have your own recommendation?

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 10
That looks like a very nice piece of hardware. I'm not overly familiar with AMP/DAC combos that have the optical in lines for PS3. If I were you, just continue researching the forums and I'm sure you'll find something to accommodate your needs! Best of luck!

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

i think i gonna order the dt880 but i dont know which ohm version
which one do you have and why?

i read alot on this forum that the 600 ohm version is really much better when u have better amps/dacs.
Is this really true?

You are saying that the 600 ohm will work with the e17 but u prefer the 250 ohm with it. So
i think u mean that it wont sound good with the 600 ohm. Is there a similar amp/dac like the e17 with optical (for ps3)?

If not than i just order the 600 ohm with the e17 and in the future upgrade to a better amp/dac, but i doubt i will enjoy the 600 ohm with e17 because
of what i read on these forums. But i also dont whant the 250  ohm because i read that the 600 ohm sound much better with better amp/dacs

so i am stuck between these two version. I really dont know which one of these to buy for my music and gaming.

Heya,

I have almost all the different Beyers. And I've used the others too. What I have doesn't matter.

The 600ohm is not "much" better than the others. The 250ohm & 600ohm are virtually identical. They even measured over at innerfidelity as virtually indistinguishable if you need to see numbers and graphs to convince yourself of something. The driver is very well controlled at 250ohm and 600ohm. You can get either one and know you're getting the best DT880 you can get. The only thing that matters when using them is which amplifier you're using since the impedance is dictating part of the load that the amplifier is working with and that relationship is the real difference between these headphones--interaction with an amplifier. Not the headphone itself. The 250ohm is more universally easy to "match" well with any amplifier and drive from virtually any source. The 600ohm is not that much more difficult to drive, but it does call for specific amplifiers that have good peak output and can output high voltage. Beyers are actually quite efficient headphones so even being higher impedance, they will get loud fast even on relatively low amplification. I would get the 250ohm unless you specifically had an amplifier that had a huge gain value, high output and you needed to match it differently. I would get the 250ohm unless you specifically had a matching amplifier plan that made you need the 600ohm instead. Again, they sound virtually the same.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back