Advice for glasses wearers.
Nov 7, 2009 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

LurkerJeff

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has come across this problem, but I found that (even with circamural headphones) the frame of my glasses that rests behind my ear would be pushed and actually embedded in my head by my headphones. After about an hour (more or less) this would become very painful and I would no longer be able to listen comfortably. Constant adjustment of the frame would only provide a short term solution. So, I got to thinking, and figured I had some "comfies" from my Grado SR80i's that were no longer being used. I cut em' up and shaped two pieces to fit in between the frame and my head. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Honestly can't even tell my glasses are there. The pieces are small enough to fit inside the cans themselves and provide enough comfort to area behind my ear.

What a relief.

I'm sure many here don't have "comfies" at their disposal, but I'm sure any soft material would do, though I'd recommend something of the sort that the comfies are made of.

Anyways, I hope this helps.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 23
My glasses are one reason I've never listened to any Grado for more than about five minutes. It's hard to consider how good they might sound when you're thinking, "Ow. My ears hurt."

The secret for me has been well-padded fully circumaural headphones. The Grados aren't. The Koss UR20's are comfortable. The Sennheiser HD555's are comfortable. And the big velour pads on the Beyerdynamic DT990's work beautifully. The headphone doesn't push the ear in at all with those, and *my ears*.

Oh, and I'm sure you'd do fine with AKG K1000's. Someday, I'll own a pair.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 23
this used to be a problem for me. As i was on "normal" specs previously and they really create a bad " impression" literally.
biggrin.gif
Neveretheless, i have since done up a new titanium frame spec which is extreley thin and light... since its got so much thinner and lighter , i practically cannot feel the specs on my "flesh" any more
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 23
1. Take off glasses
2. Put Grado's on
3. Put glasses back on, adjust frame so it rests above pads
4. ???????
5. PROFIT

Works for just about any superaural headphones.

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Take off glasses
2. Put Grado's on
3. Put glasses back on, adjust frame so it rests above pads
4. ???????
5. PROFIT

Works for just about any superaural headphones.

I'm sure your right, but I'm not using Grado's. Either way, the Grado's I do own have been outfitted with bowl cups, which are pretty much circamural if you ask me.

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 23
I really don't have this problem, I did at first but I just stuck with it and eventually it just stopped, that or I don't notice it any more.

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 23
my advice is to reposition ur headphones lower and more forward, it's somewhere in the Meier Audio website. Sounds better, more comfortable and less pressure on ur ears. this works with headphones that sit on ur ears like Grados.
My HD 650's are still way more comfortable than my Ms-1000s, Grado foam makes me itch after a while.

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my advice is to reposition ur headphones lower and more forward, it's somewhere in the Meier Audio website. Sounds better, more comfortable and less pressure on ur ears. this works with headphones that sit on ur ears like Grados.
My HD 650's are still way more comfortable than my Ms-1000s, Grado foam makes me itch after a while.

You can wash the Grado with a mild detergent and leave it to hang dry. it will make the Grado Bowl pad feels more comfy. I guess the irritation comes from the "sandy" nature of the material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back