Advice for getting more bass out of the DT 990 250ohm
Mar 21, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #16 of 19
I think thr X2s will be a good choice for you.Keep us posted.

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #17 of 19
I experienced something similar with 600ohm DT990s. I did not like them for a long time, powering them as you are by a motherboard's integrated headphone amp, until I decided it was time for separate components. They sound completely different when properly powered. Everything I hated about them has been eliminated and it's like a different pair of headphones. I think you'd feel a lot better about the 990s after hearing them driven like they should be.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #18 of 19
I think thr X2s will be a good choice for you.Keep us posted.
I hope so :) and will do!
I experienced something similar with 600ohm DT990s. I did not like them for a long time, powering them as you are by a motherboard's integrated headphone amp, until I decided it was time for separate components. They sound completely different when properly powered. Everything I hated about them has been eliminated and it's like a different pair of headphones. I think you'd feel a lot better about the 990s after hearing them driven like they should be.

I have them driven by a sound blaster ZX sound card, so it should be capable of driving the 250ohms DT990's. I would like to eventually move the DAC/ AMP outside of my system though at some point.

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #19 of 19
Got the X2's, and defiantly notice the warmer sound and bass. The comfort for me is actually better than the DT990's even though the X2's are heavier. Sound wise I’m still trying to pinpoint what I like specifically. I enjoy the bass and treble in my music, but I also listen to rap so vocals are also important, the X2's sound muddier in the mid-section to me. I don't know if this is me getting used to the sound signature of the DT990's very clear signature sound though. I have increased the 1k frequency a bit and also the high end and it sounds a lot clearer now. I still need to give the X2's more gaming time / music listening but I am unsure between the DT990 and the X2 currently… I will write a small Pros and cons for me currently, I have only had the X2's for less than 12 hours!

DT990's

Pros

• Clear sound and great for vocals + gaming
  • Sound stage feels and sound wider and more open/ airy
  • Highly replaceable parts
Cons

• Sharp highs (was fixed with an EQ)
  • Has a slight knocking noise on left ear when headphone moves from sitting on the jaw bone
  • Reduced mid bass that I enjoy from EDM
X2'S

Pros

• Sub/Mid bass is great for listening to music
  • Build quality feels more premium (although have read about the screw area breaking)
  • Warmer sound which is a lot closer to the A40's sound signature
  • Very comfy currently, haven’t had to adjust the headphones in discomfort
Cons

• Recessed mids makes vocals sound quieter/ muddier
  • Less replaceable headphone for parts
  • Braided wire is noisy, although this can be resolved easily
  • Left ear sounds quieter or less open when speaking without any sound playing (noticed this when I first tried them on) not sure if this effects the sound currently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back