Advice for a $500-$1000 cdp to pair with Grado RS1s
Oct 1, 2008 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Deadneddz

100+ Head-Fier
Im planning on buying the Headamp GS-1 amp for a pair of Grado RS1s.

I like the idea of the amp having a very "black" background. Like Justin at Headamp, I believe that a black background is crucial for high fidelity reproduction.

Can anyone give any insight or advice on any CD players in the $500-$1000 price range that will give good synergy with the GS-1 amp and Grado RS1s?

Ive been looking at the Cambridge 840c used or the Marantz SA8001 player.

Heard good things about both, and im leaning toward the 840c but i dont know how well it will go with a solidstate amp and my RS1s.

I want my music to be transparent, detailed and have a very black background.

Can anyone help this newcomer find a good source for his first home rig?

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 7
If you really wanted to make your RS-1 happy, get a turntable!
wink.gif

I haven't heard the 840c, but I've had the SA8001 for almost two years. It's one of the best players I've listened to and I have zero plans to upgrade, even now. I might consider whatever Marantz replaces it with, but it would have to be a big step up. Are you planning to listen to any SACDs? If you're into jazz or classical, the format might tip the scale for you. Also, the SA8001 has a pretty good internal headphone amp - I use it on days when it's too warm to run tubes. It's not the best amp I've heard, but has no glaring faults that get in the way of enjoying music.

I have no experience with the Headamp GS-1, so no opinion other than I'm really partial to tubes with the RS-1. Have you considered a tube amp? There are plenty of great new and used ones available around $900.

Have you thought about coming up to the LA meet on October 18? I'll be there and the SA8001 will be there, too. I'd be happy to give you a listen.

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really wanted to make your RS-1 happy, get a turntable!
wink.gif

I haven't heard the 840c, but I've had the SA8001 for almost two years. It's one of the best players I've listened to and I have zero plans to upgrade, even now. I might consider whatever Marantz replaces it with, but it would have to be a big step up. Are you planning to listen to any SACDs? If you're into jazz or classical, the format might tip the scale for you. Also, the SA8001 has a pretty good internal headphone amp - I use it on days when it's too warm to run tubes. It's not the best amp I've heard, but has no glaring faults that get in the way of enjoying music.

I have no experience with the Headamp GS-1, so no opinion other than I'm really partial to tubes with the RS-1. Have you considered a tube amp? There are plenty of great new and used ones available around $900.

Have you thought about coming up to the LA meet on October 18? I'll be there and the SA8001 will be there, too. I'd be happy to give you a listen.

Yeah, i just saw the thread on the socal meet in LA, definately going to come, ill def have a listen if i see you. Ive actually never been to a meet so i dont really know how it works, but sounds like fun to me?

Although dont know how much my girlfriend will like it lol

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 840c is also a great DAC with lots of inputs, added value if you went that way.

Yeah ive heard many people say that the dac in the 840c is quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back