Advice - Burson HD160 + Asus Xonar Essence St or Burson HD160D DAC/Amp combo
May 15, 2011 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Bigbuddha

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am set on getting a Burson unit.  This is the dilemma.

I have a ASUS Xonar Essence ST which I think is a pretty great DAC/Soundcard for the price (thinking about also switching the OP-AMPS with the Burson versions).

I also use Earsonics SM3 V1 (soon to have V2 as well) plus RE0 as a backup.

So ... I see two paths.

Burson HD160 amp only using the Xonar as the DAC using RCA outs.

or

Burson HD160D Dac/Amp combo unit.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

BigBuddha

May 16, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 28
Not sure about the need for an extra Burson amp because even Xonar Essence ST will drive your iems close to their full potential.

Sell your soundcard and get Burson 160D if you really want to have one Burson unit sitting on your desk.

May 16, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 28
Not sure about the need for an extra Burson amp because even Xonar Essence ST will drive your iems close to their full potential.

Sell your soundcard and get Burson 160D if you really want to have one Burson unit sitting on your desk.

I plan to buy the sennheiser hd650 or lcd2 at some point

I will sell my re0 and xonar as well with my original sm3 as a package, perhaps on the forum :D

May 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 28
If you have the money definitely go for the 160D unit, it's a fantastic piece of audio gear and everything inside it is built to match in terms of voltage levels and resistance.

The asus DAC is not bad for a soundcard but it can't touch a dedicated unit like the 160D sitting in its own box with a separate psu, especially for things like noise floor and stero perspective etc.

May 16, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 28
Yeah I agree. If you intend to use HD650 or LCD2, 160D is the way to go.

Anyway ZorgDK, did you recabled your HD650 with Kimber cable?????
confused_face%281%29.gif

May 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 28
Just checked Burson's website. Auch, quite a price difference between the two. I would still go for if I had the dough to spend. 

Quote:
Anyway ZorgDK, did you recabled your HD650 with Kimber cable????? 
confused_face%281%29.gif

uelover, yes it's a homemade cable I bought on ebay terminated with a Cardas connector and sleeved with some fabric. It's quite thick like a speaker cable (I guess it's really a speaker cable). It definitely sounds different than the stock cable, I like it. 

May 16, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 28
Get the 160d, it's probably going to be a wait though........

May 17, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 28
Go the 160D, it is a great one box solution that you will really appreciate as your headphone collection grows . .. unfortunately it will probably be a bit of a wait, unless you can find a store with one in stock.
The DAC section is solid, natural, smooth and detailed - it grows on you as you listen to more and more music.
It seems to drive all the headphones/iems I own far better that other headphone outs I have tried.

Using it right now with my HD650's and loving it.

May 17, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 28
Wahoo ... Burson Audio customer service is sweet ...  got my postage tracking number for my unit so should be here by friday.

I can't wait ... i'll be chilling with my music all weekend I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back