Advice: BOSE QC2&3
Sep 7, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 27
I know there is always Bose bashing, but there is one thing they can be credited for. Although I have never tried them, I was talking with someone about how I bought my Sleek SA6's because I am an audiophile and before I was always cheap crap from super stores. This person said they always did too until they bought a pair of Bose headphones. So, to the uneducated persons of the world, Bose can actually get some of them into to the world of audiophile.

Sep 7, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #17 of 27
Do this with some KSC-75s and you could probably beat just about any Bose out there!
very_evil_smiley.gif

DIY Creations: Make Noise Reduction Headphones for $20

I have some friends from college who are adamant that Bose are the very best in top-of-the-line audio equipment. They continuously tried to impress me with their stereos, but they really weren't anything special...especially for their price tag. Ick.

Sep 7, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #18 of 27
For isolation purposes, IEM's are by in far a better option:

Quote:

Originally Posted by From ClieOS' 'Basic Guide To In-Ear Canalphones'
Why noise isolation and not Active Noise Cancellation?

Despite their larger size, ANC headphones do not always provide better noise reduction in comparison to IEM. Also, many ANC headphones’ sound quality (SQ) is often found to be ‘second class’ at best (in comparison to the price you pay for them). In contrast, IEM provide better noise reduction with out sacrificing SQ.

Here are some measurements taken from tests done at the Auditory Systems Lab at Virginia Tech University on isolation vs. noise canceling. While all the Shure‘s IEMs in the test provide 29 dB ~ 37 dB of isolation, the result of ANC headphone are not as great as one might believe:
Bose QC2: 20dB (77% of ambient noise)
Sennheiser PXC-250: 11dB (58% of ambient noise)
Sony MDR-NC20: 8 dB (40% of ambient noise)

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reminds me of another couple:
baad39e5.jpg

You are more correct than you know!
very_evil_smiley.gif
However this is not the kind of forum in which I can expand.
wink_face.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #21 of 27
First, I thank you all for your inputs. I knew how Bose brand was perceived by savy consumers and more experienced audiophiles who normally can't settle for what Bose can offer in sound quality. I'm one of those people who've been warned about Bose and just stayed away from it without actually trying them out.

That's where my question comes in. I just wanted to see if QC series can't even match the SQ from sub$100 phones. I have a very limited experience with headphones and there are not many places where I can demo in my area. Especially, those of higher-end cans from AT, Senn, and etc...

I've been using Shure500/530 and am happy with its SQ, it just just that I don't like IEMs in general and been looking around for a replacement.

I was going to keep this QC3 for its comfort and noise-cancelation feature alone. But, part of me just keep telling me to get rid of em and buy something more nice.

Once again, I thank you all for sharing your opinions.

p.s. Jnathanjong- What I mean by "cheap" is not related to its price tag, rather I was referring to its SQ. I guess I didn't make it clear.

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #26 of 27
Ahh...cheap sounding. No, I don't think Bose are cheap sounding. They're not bad headphones, those Boses. And few people would tell you they are. But there are much better to be had for the price. So, if you can get a good price for them (I mean, by selling them), you'll probably be able to get some better cans AND some spare cash. Woot!

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #27 of 27
I don't think it is cheap sounding either, but many people here regard bose sound as such low quality. I almost bought a triport on-ear model when I was at the apple store not too long ago when I was looking for a portable headphones. For its comfort level alone, I was willing to pay for its price tag. And, I liked the sound as well.

I could tell my shure 530 has better SQ, but still I was having fun listening to it. And, that is another reason why I ended up buying this Bose QC headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back