Advice (as in blunt truths) for confused (ex?)-"audiophile"
Jul 14, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #106 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The human brain also appears to have a hard-wired capability to be judgmental, and to assume that everyone who doesn't agree with a certain point of view is an idiot.
icon10.gif

You are probably right there too
wink.gif

Note that I did not "judge" anyone, I simply observed. I have absolutely no problem at all with the subjectivist view. Enjoyment of music is 100% subjective, whatever enriches the subjective enjoyment of music should be considered.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #107 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK............. I am a long-time listener, first-time caller to this thread. I am totally new to hi-fi (knew nothing about it until May of this year) . . . .

Welcome to the world of Hi-Fi then.
happy_face1.gif
It will be interesting to see if your opinions change or evolve as you have the chance to listen to various hi-fi components, etc. Reading what others say must be true is useful and worthy of consideration, but it's also nice to include in one's evaluation some real world, first-hand, observations.

Quote:

I have never in my life seen a business where there is so much subjectivity and so little rationality.

Having been around for awhile, I would suggest there a lots of businesses that suffer from this (including the business of politics). People are only human and their weaknesses and strengths can be seen in many fields.

Quote:

So many people on this forum seem to run from rationality. They claim "I don't listen to music in ABX format" or "I hear a difference with my golden ears." Their claims basically amount to "science means nothing to me."

I don't think that's fair. Many people on this forum question ABX tests because of the limitations that they believe exist with such tests. And there are many posts, from some pretty intelligent people, that identify some real issues. In addition, you can see on other threads that some folks (e.g., wavoman) really seem to be trying to come up with something useful.

Quote:

Doesn't anyone into high-end audio have a background in engineering, mathematics, or anything where you would have taken a high-school science class?

There are quite a few folks with such backgrounds who hear (and believe) things that the "objectivists" claim cannot be heard or cannot exist. The "audiophile world" is not neatly divided into engineers and mathematicians who don't "believe," on the one hand, and idiots, on other hand.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

A few carefully designed studies could settle the disputes once and for all about fancy cables, amps sounding the same, etc. Why these studies have never been done (except for a few brave magazine editors and small-scale basement tests) I don't know. I am not an electrical engineering expert and I don't claim to know the "truth" about any component in audio, so I am not arguing a specific pro/con position here. What I am arguing is that these things can and should be tested!

Agreed. I hope wavoman some others can come up with some good tests.
wink_face.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #108 of 195
Quote:

OK............. I am a long-time listener, first-time caller to this thread. I am totally new to hi-fi (knew nothing about it until May of this year) but here is my impression, for what it's worth:

I have never in my life seen a business where there is so much subjectivity and so little rationality.

So many people on this forum seem to run from rationality. They claim "I don't listen to music in ABX format" or "I hear a difference with my golden ears." Their claims basically amount to "science means nothing to me." Yes, the same science that gives us semiconductors, spacecraft, organ transplants, clones, etc, that science means NOTHING when it comes to audio reproduction. A single designer with the mythical golden ear can make a device that thousands of engineers with their supercomputers can't possibly produce. Get real!

Doesn't anyone into high-end audio have a background in engineering, mathematics, or anything where you would have taken a high-school science class? The scientific method works. ABX testing works. That is why we have cars to drive and computers to type on and the internet to argue over. These things are all the result of the scientific method being applied many times, over and over again.

A few carefully designed studies could settle the disputes once and for all about fancy cables, amps sounding the same, etc. Why these studies have never been done (except for a few brave magazine editors and small-scale basement tests) I don't know. I am not an electrical engineering expert and I don't claim to know the "truth" about any component in audio, so I am not arguing a specific pro/con position here. What I am arguing is that these things can and should be tested!

If we can put a man on the moon (in 1969!) and build things atom-by-atom we can certainly answer these basic questions about sound reproduction. The truth is out there, so why don't audiophiles want to find it? Small men always say that the answer can never be known, but real men go out into the world and find it.

All it takes is one man to give a perspective that changes everything. Just because thousands of engineers haven't thought of it, doesn't mean some man out there cannot. Electronics is more difficult than you make it out to be. Why else would the electronics industry still be innovating? Shouldn't things be done yet? Even then, some areas are going backwards because of consumer drive towards cheapness.

A supercomputer is also no substitute for a brain. They're for mundane, repetitive, and complex calculations that would otherwise require ridiculous amounts of time (by hand or by normal computer). It's why humans, for the most part, still do the crucial routing on PCBs and ICs. A computer still can't account for things a human can. How economical is it to have a supercomputer do this kind of stuff? And would it be that good anyway? No.

Some more inclined DIYers are educated, by themselves or by school. Some aren't the nimrod, golden ear-types sticking giant teflon caps everywhere. There's no substitute for experimenting with some of this stuff yourself. I know, some people aren't that enthusiastic about DIY audio, but you get to discover whether something makes a change or not. And I don't mean sticking Bybee Quantum whatevers everywhere in your circuit. Or using huge BlackGates everywhere. Since when is that science, sticking crap everywhere?

There are proposals on why amps or DACs would sound different in some of the AES papers. On DIYHifi, some members have postulated about this for quite some time. I just wish I had some more equipment so I could measure some things...
triportsad.gif

~Thomas

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #109 of 195
Quote:

There are at least a few carefully designed scientific studies concerning cables, mostly in AES publications. However, access to them by lay people is difficult, as you either need to pay for the articles or be affiliated with a college (or some other type of system). Some members here have criticized the tests, but I'm not convinced that such nitpicking is enough to actually discredit the bulk of the research. If you have access to them, I'd recommend using google scholar to dig up the research, as a lot of it is educational and interesting in its own right.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #110 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are at least a few carefully designed scientific studies concerning cables, mostly in AES publications. However, access to them by lay people is difficult, as you either need to pay for the articles or be affiliated with a college (or some other type of system). Some members here have criticized the tests, but I'm not convinced that such nitpicking is enough to actually discredit the bulk of the research. If you have access to them, I'd recommend using google scholar to dig up the research, as a lot of it is educational and interesting in its own right.

That sounds like a lot of fun, but right now I need to use my free time to find a job that pays more than $7.40 an hour. So can you just tell me if there is there anything in the studies that you have read that would change my opinion that expensive cables are unnecessary?

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #111 of 195
Quote:

That sounds like a lot of fun, but right now I need to use my free time to find a job that pays more than $7.40 an hour. So can you just tell me if there is there anything in the studies that you have read that would change my opinion that expensive cables are unnecessary?

Ouch, 7.75 was what I made min wage in Illinois during high school.

I've yet to read an AES study that has confirmed that cables make an audible difference. I have also read at least a couple of AES studies that suggest that cables make no audible difference. All AES studies are peer-reviewed, which means a lot to me, but then again I'd also love to see more informal testing (so long as they're methodologically rigorous).

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #112 of 195
Oh yeah just an extra thought (i am really bored tonight). I am kind of struck by how similar people's opinions on audio gear are to people's opinions on motor oil brands. Every American male (and most females) seems to have their favorite oil brand. Some love Pennzoil, some swear Mobil 1 is the only thing that touches their engine. But ask anyone why they have that opinion, and they will give you a totally subjective answer. I have listened to probably hundreds of blowhards tell me why one oil is better than the other and never heard one piece of scientific evidence. Just anecdotes that don't make any sense, like "I used Quaker State for one oil change and I looked inside the oil cap and my engine looked dirty!" I just find it amazing how people can have such a strong opinion about subjects they know nothing about. I'm not saying everyone should know about tribology and automotive engine design, but please don't think you do when you clearly don't.

(by the way I am not an engineer but I do know quite a bit about automotive lubrication systems and engine oil design)

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #114 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oedipus Rex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, I'm open minded and have tried few things. New Cd player, 3 different soundcards, interconnects .. just within last few weeks. I have not found any noticeable difference. Alas, before I started this thread, I even ordered a hotusb2 externaldac amp to use instead of my regular laptop out. Now I think I just let the letter bounce without bothering to even try it. It cost me 50 euros, but that is a cheap lesson for being such a gullible fool.

I've found that there isn't really that much difference between cheap equipment. You might get a bit of different tonality (the easiest thing to spot), but especially with cheap brand-name IC's, they don't make any significant difference. You'll find a strong DIY community around with people who believe that they can get significantly better value out of DIY everything than you can with commercial offerings, especially those that a lot of the profit goes into marketing.

This is why having experienced people around the forums is important. Though it can't totally prevent it wasting money, as eventually you have to try something, you can get a lot of useful information from people about gear to help you decide, and also give you advice about what is worth buying, or not. Best of all, if you can go to a meet, or even create your own mini-meet with head-fi'ers nearby and try different gear and combinations, that will help a lot. It's just as easy to have a bad experience with expensive gear as it is with cheap gear. This is why, for example, a lot of people cringe when people buy expensive headphones and use a cheap amp and source, and complain that the headphones were a waste of money. If it has to involve science, there are perfectly explainable reasons for this, such as an amp that doesn't have a circuit that can drive the headphones adequately, to a DAC that is measurably poorer at converting the digital signal into analogue.

However, and this is an important point that people miss, you cannot measure enjoyment. What science does is attempt to measure different things and relate those measurements to people's reactions, however, there's no absolute measure, as enjoyment is a complex thing that cannot be simply nailed down. You cannot, for example, relate THD measurements to how "good" a piece of equipment "sounds", ie: You can't measure how much people will enjoy listening to music with certain equipment.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #115 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are at least a few carefully designed scientific studies concerning cables, mostly in AES publications. However, access to them by lay people is difficult, as you either need to pay for the articles or be affiliated with a college (or some other type of system).

All you need is access to a decent library, whether a public library or a college or university library.

k

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #116 of 195
It's funny anti-cablers keep saying they think audio electronics is an especially irrational field. Audio electronics is the only field I'm aware of where the scientific spirit still lives in its pioneers.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #117 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny anti-cablers keep saying they think audio electronics is an especially irrational field. Audio electronics is the only field I'm aware of where the scientific spirit still lives in its pioneers.

I think it is pretty clear that the irrationality lies squarely within the sales and marketing of said products.

Not that it makes that market particularly different from many others.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #118 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is pretty clear that the irrationality lies squarely within the sales and marketing of said products.

Not that it makes that market particularly different from many others.

As somebody with a marketing degree and a sales job, I choose to take that as a compliment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back