Advice about woo wa6se without dac, or schitt lyr and bifrost, with iPad source
Feb 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

joespride

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok so tax time is here and I've decided to purchase one of the 2 mentioned and also purchase some sennheiser hd650 to go with them, my music tastes are mostly acoustic, indie rock ( on the lighter side) some jazz sprinkled in with some classic rock and even some country like steve earle, Allison krauss.....

I love full tubes setups but realize the limits of my intended source and understand an external dac is supposed to dramatically improve the iPad, iPod etc...

So I would love to hear from some folks that have tried these or especially compared these with iPod or? As source material. I'm strongly leaning towards schiit as I like there business model and no BS approach. As well as an excellent warranty

But I realize the lyr is a hybrid and I really loved my previous set tube systems, if I were well to do I would buy both but that's out of the question

SOOOOO PLEASE HEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP:cool:

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 4
It's really hard to say. Maybe just spend a 100$ on a DAC.
I don't know how you are going to get a digital signal from the iProducts though..

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 4
From my reading on here the camera kit causes a bypass ( so to speak ) of the internal dac on the I-Products which puts out a digital signal / stream and provides a USB connection which you run through an external dac. I wouldn't have any idea where to start with buying a dac alone and it seems a whole new can of worms I'd rather avoid. From a friends research on dacs it can get very detailed

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 4
The schiit bifrost is an excellent Dac for the money and the Schiit Lyr is a superb Headamp for the price. You'll want to roll in some decent NOS tubes to get the best out of it. (see this thread... )

However, you may be very happy with the Fiio E11/E17 with a LOD connector from your idevice (as long as it's not the new lightning connector).

Both are nice setups and the Lyr will make the 650's sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back