Advice about using my Sennheiser HD595 on my computer. (sundcard, amplifier etc)
Oct 15, 2004 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

daphexb

New Head-Fier
I have ordered the HD595's headphones and now I need the equipment to make my computer a competent musicmachine.

I have already decided that my current soundcard which is an integrated one on the mainboard is not able to be used in any way with the headphones.

Is the HeadRoom Total BitHead a good and easy on the wallet alternative for me? I don't need to take the headphones with me..

I am also looking for soundcards and other amplifiers that can do the work for me.

About my budget, I was thinking about max $350.

I would be thankful for any replies
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 22
Welcome to Head-fi and sorry about your wallet!
Do you use a laptop or normal PC?
I guess (for PC) you would get the best if you went with an EMU 0404 soundcard and a nice amp. Try the search function to check reviews of the card and advice on the amp.
EDIT: I hear the Meta, PPA, Supermono are good amps in that price bracket, check those out

Oct 15, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 22
If you get the EMU 0404 for $100, that will leave you a nice $250 to spend on an amp. You can configure a Pimeta for that much, and will be great with your cans and 0404. Or, just keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds section for a great deal
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 22
Thanks for fine answers!

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum, I have already enjoyed it a lot! It's just great!

About my wallet, well it gets even smaller, living in Norway a new 0404 is about $ 160 hehe.

I have a desktop computer.

Checking the amps...

Oct 15, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 22
In the wilderness of all the posts on the forum I decided to try asking before I search more....

I couldn't find the pimeta in norway.

Rega Ear is an amp that I have dicussed on norwegian forums, I see some comments on it on this forum also. In norway it is $ 210, I will slightly top my budget with this.

Comments on the Rega used on the emu 0404, and other suggestions?

Oct 16, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 22
Dont forget to save 10-20$ for those interconnects! It is a must if you are using good equipment :p
Sound cards and amps can be found in this forum for sale, check it out before you buy it online.

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #8 of 22
The link to the webshop was great, excactly half the price of the norwegian! There will be some costs for taxes to norway I guess (23 % :S)... calculating the price... hoping it will not be too high (damn taxes!!)

Couldn't find an amp on the creative website, any suggestions where to get that? Guessing it would be wise to check out some websites for the amp.

About those interconnects, since I am pretty green on this stuff it would be nice if told me what to get excactly.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!
600smile.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 22
Oh sorry, you misunderstood me. Buy one HERE, on head-fi. Lots of nice used amps. Also, check out the demo items on JMT's webpage: here
a brief browsing of FS threads got me this:
perhaps this (bit more money)
a<=cant go wrong here
There are more, but these seem the best.
Hey, here's a thread on the same problem:a

Oct 16, 2004 at 9:04 AM Post #10 of 22
Source: Chaintech AV-710 ($26) or E-Mu 0404 ($100)
Amp: Headsave Classic ($150) or Gilmore Lite ($300)

less if you buy used, or get a good deal.

Oct 16, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #11 of 22
Thanks for good advice
smily_headphones1.gif

I found this on the demo-sale page at JMT audio:
PIMETA Portable (2 available) - $110.00

This would be fit pretty nice into my budget, because of the taxes in norway. Maybe there is 5 percent or so over there? So I can withdraw that and add the norwegian at 23. And then end up at 128 plus the shipping.

Is the pimeta portable a great deal?

Oct 16, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 22
That's right, you might also want the Gilmore lite.
I think you will not have to pay taxes in norway(and I'm not sure about withdrawing the US taxes), only customs maybe. Get it shipped as a present and maybe not even that. I'm sure there are reviews of the PIMETA around here, but the price seems good(check with JMT).

Oct 16, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #13 of 22
The offer on the pimeta is more my budget.

I read the norwegian laws on importing to norway. If the shipment is a gift the limit is 1000 kroner.. the pimeta is 737.

I could go up a bit, but then the taxes will be added, which are 24 % not 23 %, is this a world record or something???
plainface.gif
hehe

And taxes from the country you are ordering from is withdrawn (but you have to make sure of this yourself).

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 22
Looking at another thread about amping the HD595 I found a new amp that might be good: headsave classic

They have prefered it to the pimeta in this thread.
Are there different versions of the pimeta?

Edit: See the Headsave classic has been posted as an alternative earlier.

How is the emu 0404 and headsave classic combo? Any advantages over av710 and headsave classic?

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #15 of 22
But, does an internal soundcard (say the 404) with a small external amp (say pimenta) sound better than the total bithead?
Total cost is about the same, amp sections are comparable, but the bithead gets the dac outside of the computer box which might result in a cleaner signal. Also the only interconnects you need then is the included usb cable, and a headphone cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back