advice about a possible return to the headphones
Jul 12, 2016 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

alota

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone.
i need an advice because i´m thinking about a possible return to headphones.
two years ago i abandoned due to a hearing problem and also because i was tired to try and change resulting from the continuous search for the perfect sound.
i had some good headphones like HE-6, K-1000, HP-1000, HD-800, etc. etc.
now i´m oriented to a more "relaxed" situation.
My source is Tidal through PC or Android phone.
About the amplifier i´m thinking to buy an audioquest dragonfly red due to connection with pc or android(but different advice is welcome)
About the headphones i´m really disoriented. i saw oppo PM-3, Focal Spirit one, Ultrasone edition 8.
your opinion?
really thanks
Aldo

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 10
  What's your budget and do you want open/closed headphones?

about the budget for the headphone from 300 to 1.000 €(possibly an used headphones)
i don´t have preferences about open or closed.
i´m looking for a good system without any "audiophile" pretension
wink.gif

my activity in the past with headphones is dead and buried
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Try the Beyerdynamic T1. There's typically used sets on eBay going for $500-$600 USD all day. I've auditioned them before on a minor amp/dac, forget the name, but it was playing through iTunes on a laptop and they sounded phenomenal.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 10
  Try the Beyerdynamic T1. There's typically used sets on eBay going for $500-$600 USD all day. I've auditioned them before on a minor amp/dac, forget the name, but it was playing through iTunes on a laptop and they sounded phenomenal.

thank you. i had two T1 in the past. i don´t think that the dragonfly drives well the T1 due to high impedance

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 10
Are you happy with your Android phone as a Tidal audio source?

The Oppo PM-3 could be run directly from your phone, discarding the complexity of an additional USB DAC/AMP. These headphones do not require a lot of power to drive. My primary issue with the headphone was the fit, as in not something I could wear for hours of the day, while at work. The small cup size bothered me, though the material is quite plush. And the sound was fine for me, particularly for a mobile or "relaxed" listening environment.

You could use whatever USB DAC/AMP you choose for at home. I've not heard the newest DragonFly options. The original DragonFly was fine. But so was the Schiit Fulla and CEntrance DACport, which are still less than $100.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 10
Are you happy with your Android phone as a Tidal audio source?

The Oppo PM-3 could be run directly from your phone, discarding the complexity of an additional USB DAC/AMP. These headphones do not require a lot of power to drive. My primary issue with the headphone was the fit, as in not something I could wear for hours of the day, while at work. The small cup size bothered me, though the material is quite plush. And the sound was fine for me, particularly for a mobile or "relaxed" listening environment.

You could use whatever USB DAC/AMP you choose for at home. I've not heard the newest DragonFly options. The original DragonFly was fine. But so was the Schiit Fulla and CEntrance DACport, which are still less than $100.

Really thanks. I have read the review on innerfidelity and the price is really good.
I'm disectualized about hp's.
I don't know the Fulla. It's a good stuff?
If i'm right massdrop has the centrance.

Enviado do meu ALE-L21 através de Tapatalk

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 10
Really thanks. I have read the review on innerfidelity and the price is really good.

I owe a great debt to the Fulla - it's what brought me back into the world of headphones and HiFi.

However, I'm keeping one of the CEntrance DACport - I think it's pretty good. They have 3 versions, including the Slim, HD, and Portable. So yes, I think it is a better, newer product versus the Fulla (not that there is anything wrong with the Fulla). The Slim that you mentioned is available on MassDrop for $99.

My main point though was you need not spend a ton of money to get a system that you can listen to for hours, with lots of pleasure.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #9 of 10

I owe a great debt to the Fulla - it's what brought me back into the world of headphones and HiFi.

However, I'm keeping one of the CEntrance DACport - I think it's pretty good. They have 3 versions, including the Slim, HD, and Portable. So yes, I think it is a better, newer product versus the Fulla (not that there is anything wrong with the Fulla). The Slim that you mentioned is available on MassDrop for $99.

My main point though was you need not spend a ton of money to get a system that you can listen to for hours, with lots of pleasure.

Understood perfectly
Thank you for your help

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 10

i have discovered that my huawei p8 lite has no support t otg so no amplifier with the phone.
biggrin.gif

in the meantime i found one oppo pm-3 used like new so i make a try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back