Advertisements- activating chromes malware warning
Feb 4, 2013 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Dubstep Girl

Headphoneus Supremus
just started today, head-fi's advertisements keep activating google chromes malware protection (where it redirects u and says the page is dangerous) . i fixed it by disabling google chromes malware/phishing warnings, but its never happened before, is anyone else experiencing this?

"Danger: Malware Ahead!
[size=medium] Google Chrome has blocked access to this page on www.head-fi.org.[/size]

[size=medium] Content from cm.netseer.com, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this web page. Visiting this page now is very likely to infect your computer with malware.[/size]

[size=medium] Malware is malicious software that causes things like identity theft, financial loss, and permanent file deletion"[/size]

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 21
The web seems to have exploded in the last few hours with warnings about this. If netseer (whomever they are are) have had their site broken into and infected with malware then disabling your malware blocker isn't a good idea.

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 21
I've not received this message on Head-Fi yet. I did just do a search and found this:

http://google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?tpl=safari&site=netseer.com&hl=en-us

I'm looking into this now, to see what this is about, and what's causing it for those getting it.

Again, I haven't seen this pop up with Head-Fi yet. For those of you who do, can you please post here (or email me at admin at head-fi.org) to let me know what URL you were on when it popped up (and/or the link that sent you there)? Thanks in advance for your help.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 21
Jude, I use Chrome, and I am getting it immediately going to head-fi.org -- I have a bookmark to start at the Forums paage: head-fi.org/f/

Since this might be a false/positive evaluation on Chrome's part, I will play with Chrome's setting to monitor walware and phishing and some of the different head-fi pages.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 21
Jude, maybe you've made a change to something -- I am not getting the Chrome warning anymore WITH Chrome's phishing and malware checking turned on.  The site does seem to be a fraction hesitant, but it may just be me.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 21
it happens every 1 or 2 pages i browse thru on head-fi. whether it be messages, product reviews, , forums, main page, etc. so its just those stupid ads that are on the side of the screen.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 21
I had it happen in subscriptions, New Posts, headphone buy/sell/trade forum.
Google flagged netseer as malware as the site was apparently hacked but their own Adsense product was still serving the ads.

Its affected a ton of sites, including New York Times, Huffington Post, etc

Usually refreshing the page a few times eventually got it to load without a problem but it hasn't happened in a few minutes now so maybe Adsense is fixed on Google's end.

Edit: btw, I'm using IE (at work). Apparently both IE and Firefox use Google's malware list so all three browsers will be affected. Not sure about Opera or Safari.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
Just got the malware warning again (still for netseer) twice after not getting it for a few hours. Once in subscriptions and second time trying to load this thread 

just got it again too, i went out for lunch and when i came back, since i know it was supposed to be fixed, i  turned the chrome warnings on again, and it happened again while i was looking at someones profile.

May 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #13 of 21
Sorry for the bump, but I'm still getting the same thing: malware warning from Chrome. On multiple computers, Mac and PC.

May 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #15 of 21
Sure, will capture one asap...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back