Adventures in Boot Camp
May 26, 2006 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

roastpuff

Headphoneus Supremus
I have committed a grevious sin, fellow Mac-users. I dabbled with it. You know, it. Boot Camp. As a confessional penance, I am going to post pictures of my wrongdoings for the whole world to see. Behold - the enormity of my mistake.

My reason for falling to temptation was the news of Half-Life 2: Episode One. How can one resist such a pull? I certainly cannot, even though I have sworn off the way of the Gates. Curse you, gaming addiction, curse you!!!

783e6522.jpg

It's starting.

fa914099.jpg

Dear Lord.

f99d4b04.jpg

Highway to Hell....

d54a65e0.jpg

Yikes.

PICT0009.jpg

Halfway there.

PICT0006.jpg

Uh-oh.

PICT0017.jpg

I've arrived at the 7th Circle.

PICT0018.jpg

Blasphemy!

PICT0015.jpg

The maw.

PICT0022.jpg

Through a window of fire. I feel like the fat man who dissed the beggar.

PICT0020.jpg

A full recounting.

---

Share your experiences! Unfortunately, my install is still not stable - I ran into a few hitches and wagons during the process. I'm going to rework it this weekend, see what I can do to prepare for the Episode One cometh.

Back to work!

May 26, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 15
Jobs said years ago the fastest machine running windows would be a Mac! Talk about a step up from Virtual PC!

May 26, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Try parallels, it works pretty darn well...

Parallels is not free, though.

May 26, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
I want a BSOD picture.
-g

If I get one I will snap it for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/

It's free for 30 day trial, and once you try it, you'll probably be willing ot pay for it. It's amazing.

It probably is, but with my budget stretched so tight right now I'd rather just tinker with Boot Camp, with my already pre-existing copy of Windows.

May 27, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 15
I gave in again. Right now, installing XP on a VM in Parallels.
tongue.gif

May 27, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 15
I reinstalled hl2 today in preparation for episode one! But playing through the second time for a bit ( just to get used to the feel of the game again) I found that I remembered all the the little things like when you'd be surprised by the combine from out of nowhere and such. Not as exciting as the first time, but scripted games end up like that, quite obivously.

All I know is that episode one better be less than $20 here in canada on the store shelves, since I read on ign that ep1 won't last more than 6 hours. Thursday seems so far
frown.gif

[edit] You know what? It took almost 2 hours from installing the game to actually running it! Just crazy!

May 27, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 15
I want a macbook (not pro), hoping that if I wait till 2007 they'll have a version with a better GPU, but knowing me I'll buy it anyway at the end of August.

May 27, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #12 of 15
I'm a pc Windows guy but I have mixed feelings about this. I don't like how buggy windows can be but I also like the freedom I have over the OS and its customization. Then again I don't have enough experience with apple...you know what, I don't know where I'm going with this. Well, now that you have XP have fun and enjoy the more complicated side of computing.

May 27, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow
I'll be right with you when I get my Macbook Pro in a few weeks.

JaGWiRE: I doubt that the integrated graphics card will be updated soon if ever

Doesn't bug me, I've found that is the only sacrifice i've had to made on my last laptop purchase. September of 2003 I bougth a sony vaio z1rap with a pentium 1.5 ghz, 512 mb of ram, 14.1" lcd screen and 4.1 pounds with intergrated graphics (16 mb crap), but a nice battery, so I'm willing to sacrifice again. I don't really like playing games on a laptop anyway, never found much time to watch media on one either, maybe music though.

May 27, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #15 of 15
Bah. Parallels doesn't support Direct3D, which makes it pointless for me.
mad.gif
Going to have to get a proper SP2 CD instead of slipstreaming now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back