Admit your "fanboyism"
Jun 29, 2007 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

MetalManCPA

500+ Head-Fier
I'm using the word "fanboyism" loosely here, as I suppose it can equate to being passionate about a particular band. And as you'll see, my list belongs in the "darkest desires" thread. I have every album by these bands, and although I won't admit to liking every last song, the % of songs I do love by each band is WAY up there. Here are my "fanboy" bands:

Opeth - without question, my favorite band. If I could, I would jam them down everybody's throat and tell them you don't know music if you don't like them. The first time I ever saw a song played live that brought a tear to my eye was the first time seeing Opeth. When The Drapery Falls started (which was my favorite song of all time until Ghost of Perdition), my eyes welled from the joy of being able to see my favorite all time song played live. It happened again when I saw them play Ghost of Perdition. The only other song that has ever been my favorite until taken over by The Drapery Falls, and was for around 30 years, was Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. I never got to see them live. I had tickets to see them in Montreal, but Bonham died around a week before the concert.

Grip Inc - Dave Lombardo from Slayer put this group togther. I can't quite explain it, but I feel their first album, the Power of Inner Strength, is one of the best flowing metal albums I've ever heard. It's not a story album, but it just flows to me.

The Project Hate MCMXCIX - this bands music is amazing to me. There is a certain power to their music that grips me.

Led Zeppelin - I've always believed this was the band the spawned the true metal of today. Every time I hear one of their songs (I only really dislike one song by them, D'yer Maker) I have to listen. Clsoing in on 40 years of loving this band.

There are many other bands I love, such as Dimmu Borgir, Meshuggah, Old Mans Child - the list goes on. But the four bands above are those I just can't get enough of.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 57
No other band has made me escalate adoration into fanboyism quite like Ween.

I am at the mercy of The Boognish. Long Live Stadium calibre smoke machines in small clubs!

Jun 29, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opeth - without question, my favorite band. If I could, I would jam them down everybody's throat and tell them you don't know music if you don't like them.

Haha, I am the same way about Opeth. Them and Virgin Black. To me, anyone who if a fan of good music should like these two bands. Obviously I am biased, therefore I am a fanboy
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 57
The last time I was in "fanboy" phase was the early 90's, I was a big follower of Helmet, The Melvins and The Jesus Lizard. If you would have heard me talking then, they were the greatest bands that ever existed.

:)

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No other band has made me escalate adoration into fanboyism quite like Ween.

I am at the mercy of The Boognish. Long Live Stadium calibre smoke machines in small clubs!

I saw them at the Euclid Tavern in Cleveland sometime in 1992.. they had some awesome sound goin' down..

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 57
my "fanboyism" extends to the following...

Tool "Maynard You Are A God" - ok I'm not that extreme, but I can't tell you how many times I heard this phase uttered at the two concerts I've seen them perform in the last year and on countless bootlegs I have of their entire career.

Metallica - Even though there are only 2 songs on Reload that I actually liked, there isn't a song on ANY of the other albums that I don't love. Yes I even like St. Anger! I will always love this band.

Led Zeppelin - All I can say is THANK YOU! Thank you to my father for playing their records over and over again when I was a child. Thank you Robert, Jimmy, John B. and John P.J. for giving the world the noise in your head. Now PLEASE get a someone to do a PROPER mastering of your catalog!
smily_headphones1.gif

Pink Floyd - uNF Thank you as well!

Black Sabbath - Without you, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin - MUSIC IN GENERAL WOULD SUCK!

Sevendust - Please get Clint back so I can love you again!

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 57
Tool!
There is something in their songs I can't explain, but it just feels right. Patterns, tones, everything. It's magic, it's geometry!

basshead.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 57
The Orb
I try to get my hands on everything, even if it's just a remix on a single.

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tool!
There is something in their songs I can't explain, but it just feels right. Patterns, tones, everything. It's magic, it's geometry!

basshead.gif

X2!

Tool is probably the only group where I can 100% say they don't have a song I don't like. I also believe that no music collection is complete with Lateralus. If you like music, you should like Tool. Also, while Maynard isn't a God, he does rank pretty high up there for me.

What is Tool exactly? Tool is Tool, end of story.

Radiohead would be a close second for me. I don't have every one of their albums (don't have Pablo Honey), and I don't recommend them to everybody that I know (some people get them, some don't), but I do say great praises for them when I get the chance. Also, Radiohead was the first concert I ever went to that brought me to tears when they played Exit Music (for a film), as it was, and still is, one of my favorite songs period.

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 57
well its not music related, but i love my scooter more then any other one. It's an 06 Honda Metropolitan and i just think all of the other ones look stupid to me.

<-- fanboy
frown.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 57
ELO - I own every album. They are simply magic to these ears. Can't wait to buy the Xanadu album, too, cause some of their best stuff was from that God-awful movie...

I've got a couple DVD's of them live (not the same, I know) and they've yet to make me cry, but ELO's still really, extremely, toe-tappin', eyes-rolled-back-in-my-head friggin' good.

I think kids my age should listen to more ELO, for sure.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back