Adjusting ASIO latency - Xonar Essence
Aug 23, 2009 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ADD

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way to adjust the latency on the Essence soundcard when used with a application which supports ASIO but does not have an ASIO control panel function? For example, a couple of programs I have used in the past let me adjust the latency and bit depth for the Essence via an ASIO option on their interfaces.

I am using another program which I much prefer to the other ones for various reasons, but it does not have an option to access the ASIO settings.

I know other soundcards like the Creative ones have some sort of option in the native drivers to adjust these sorts of things, but I can't find anything with the Essence.

Short of having a second DAW application on my machine for the sole purpose of adjusting latency, is there a much simpler, cleaner and obvious way to do this?

Thanks

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ASIO control panel is global AFAIK

you can reach it through foobar.

As I mentioned, I am trying to find a way to access these parameters without having to install an application on my machine just for the purposes of adjusting the latency.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 9
well, ASIO was meant to be used in Steinberg apps in the first place...these don't use the typical windows DirectSound architecture, they are wrappers like DirectKS/WASAPI that connect directly to the WDM system drivers. You need a third party app to select their latency, besides you can use foobar in portable mode.

maybe you could install a registry monitoring tool to see what changes, if you hate foobar so much
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Easy method:
http://www.djdecks.be/asioconfig.exe
or
another listed in my signature (does not work XP Sp2 ->)

Registry tweak:
Find if there's a key for ASIO latency on system registry. If you find one, just check if the value gets changed when you change it through ASIO control panel. You can then export the key from registry, modify it and then just execute the .reg file when you want to make this change. You need to prepare separate .reg file for each latency value.

VBS script:
Change the ASIO\latency value in registry through VBS Script.

jiitee

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easy method:
or
another listed in my signature (does not work XP Sp2 ->)

Registry tweak:
Find if there's a key for ASIO latency on system registry. If you find one, just check if the value gets changed when you change it through ASIO control panel. You can then export the key from registry, modify it and then just execute the .reg file when you want to make this change. You need to prepare separate .reg file for each latency value.

VBS script:
Change the ASIO\latency value in registry through VBS Script.

jiitee

Great little app. Thx.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easy method:

Brilliant! Exactly what I was after. Thanks very much indeed. I had actually been looking for registry entries prior to starting the topic, but to no avail. Perhaps the value is buried deep in the registry somewhere, but this app really is far easier in my situation.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great little app. Thx.

Thanks from me too

There is no way to manage this in MediaMonkey

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 9
ASIO drivers are meant for recording so the idea is to have them handy from a Host recording applicaton. That little applicaiton is great for changing latency without loading a host application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back